Author Topic: 1851 Census - Even More York BOWMANs! - Completed Thank You  (Read 3249 times)

Offline Pinetree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
1851 Census - Even More York BOWMANs! - Completed Thank You
« on: Wednesday 12 July 06 09:20 BST (UK) »
I think I've gone wrong with one of the twigs of my BOWMAN tree.  To help me sort this out could SKS possibly find the following BOWMANs in 1851 for me  ???  Probably in St Maurice parish.

Parents John and Elizabeth (ages NK)

Mary b. 1832
Thomas b. 1834
Robert b. 1836
James b. 1839
Susanna b. 1841
Mark b. 1843
William b. 1845
Charles b. 1847

All children baptised in St Maurice York.

Any help much appreciated.

Pinetree
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ricky1

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Mum and Dad
    • View Profile
Re: 1851 Census - Even More York BOWMANs!
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 12 July 06 18:59 BST (UK) »
Hi Pinetree
There is this family not sure if its the one you want but the names and ages are about right
John Bowman head mar 42 manager gas works Yorks York
Elizabeth "      wife mar 41                                      "     Thirsk
Mary        "       dau u/m 18                                      "     York
Thomas    "       son u/m 16 lab                                "       "
Robert      "      son u/m 14 scholar                           "      "
James        "     son u/m 12   "                                   "      "
Susan       "      dau u.m 10   "                                   "       "
Mark          "     son u/m 7                                          "       "
William      "      son u/m 5     "                                   "       "
Charles     "      son u/m 3                                          "       "
Jane          "       dau u/m 2                                         "   Pickering
Sarah        "       dau u/m 6 months                             "       "
living at I think its Swan Lane but not sure, Pickering, Yorks
H0107/ 2373
folio 152
page 1 & 2

ricky
Ricky (1954 - 2010)

Harby,Garton,Drury,Duncombe,Booth,Catton,Barker, Kirkby, Wilson. Lincolnshire, <br />Also Murkin's, Jeffery,Pettitt,Carter, from Suffolk/Cambridgeshire boarder<br />Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Pinetree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 12 July 06 19:19 BST (UK) »
Ricky,

I'm pretty sure this is the right family - thank you  ;)

I had this James BOWMAN as son of Moses and Frances because his widow, Hannah BOWMAN was living with Frances on later census returns as daughter (I assumed d-in-law).  However I now think Hannah really was Frances's daughter and she married this James BOWMAN (possibly her cousin).

All I need now is the marriage to prove my theory but no luck so far with the index pages  :(

Perhaps they didn't bother making it legal as they already had the same name  ;D

Thank you again for your help.

Pinetree

Offline Johnpat1945

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 09 March 13 13:23 GMT (UK) »
Ricky,

I'm pretty sure this is the right family - thank you  ;)

I had this James BOWMAN as son of Moses and Frances because his widow, Hannah BOWMAN was living with Frances on later census returns as daughter (I assumed d-in-law).  However I now think Hannah really was Frances's daughter and she married this James BOWMAN (possibly her cousin).

All I need now is the marriage to prove my theory but no luck so far with the index pages  :(

Perhaps they didn't bother making it legal as they already had the same name  ;D

Thank you again for your help.

Pinetree

Hi,My name is John Pattison

I am  decended from Moses Bowman, through his daughter Mary 1847 who married George Dunning Ellis, their daughter Frances Eleanor married my Grandfather  Ernest Henry Pattison.

Im still trying to find the ancestors of Frances Brownley ??

You can see my tree Pattison 2013-2014 on Ancestry

Best Wishes

John

Offline Pinetree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: 1851 Census - Even More York BOWMANs! - Completed Thank You
« Reply #4 on: Friday 15 March 13 19:03 GMT (UK) »
Dear John,

Thank you for your message.

My husband is descended from Moses' brother William (1817-1891) and his wife Rachel Bateman so you share the common ancestors Thomas Bowman (1783-1842) and Jane Bateman (1781-1859) making you distant cousins.

Our branch is from William's daughter Martha Bowman who married John Bentley.  He was a butcher in The Shambles and she carried on the business after he died.

I have really enjoyed looking at your tree especially the photographs. Thomas and Jane Bowman are also buried in York Cemetery with a headstone which I could not see on your tree.  My tree is not on Ancestry but I think others on there have added the photograph to their trees.

I don't have any further information on Frances Brownley at the moment but would be happy to help with that or any other aspect of the Bowman tree if I can.

I did find the marriage for Hannah and James Bowman, who were the original subjects of this thread, in the end.  It took place on 11 Sep 1860 at St Maurice, York.

All the best for now,

Pinetree

Offline Johnpat1945

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 1851 Census - Even More York BOWMANs! - Completed Thank You
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 16 March 13 08:04 GMT (UK) »
Dear John,

Thank you for your message.

My husband is descended from Moses' brother William (1817-1891) and his wife Rachel Bateman so you share the common ancestors Thomas Bowman (1783-1842) and Jane Bateman (1781-1859) making you distant cousins.

Our branch is from William's daughter Martha Bowman who married John Bentley.  He was a butcher in The Shambles and she carried on the business after he died.

I have really enjoyed looking at your tree especially the photographs. Thomas and Jane Bowman are also buried in York Cemetery with a headstone which I could not see on your tree.  My tree is not on Ancestry but I think others on there have added the photograph to their trees.

I don't have any further information on Frances Brownley at the moment but would be happy to help with that or any other aspect of the Bowman tree if I can.

I did find the marriage for Hannah and James Bowman, who were the original subjects of this thread, in the end.  It took place on 11 Sep 1860 at St Maurice, York.

All the best for now,

Pinetree
Hi Pinetree
Thanks for the reply keep your eyes open for The Brownleys

John