Author Topic: Forward, Saskatchewan 1911 Census  (Read 1702 times)

Offline waiteohman

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Forward, Saskatchewan 1911 Census
« Reply #9 on: Monday 17 July 06 03:03 BST (UK) »
Hello JJ

I believe like you it is CNR labourer. I've seen mention of train crews and train laborers.

This site looks interesting for railroad jobs, Past and Present Railroad Job Descriptions:
http://www.uprr.com/aboutup/history/jobs.shtml

Linda
Dorman, Waite, Moore, Clark/Clarke, Neil, Rennie/Rainey, Brown, Mclean, Day, Millar/Miller, Gunion/Gunzion, Thomson, Black, Milvain, McCubbin, Steadman, Kirby

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 17 July 06 04:21 BST (UK) »
Great site, Linda, that's the information I was looking for! I knew about the fireman as I'd seen that job description on another census...good job...J.J.

Here's another fun train site with basic information, photos, etc...
http://www.trainweb.org/oldtimetrains/whatsnew.html
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline rogerofgoostrey

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 17 July 06 10:21 BST (UK) »
Thanks Linda and JJ for the interpretations of the jobs on the rail road.

Towards the end of the line of the census record for William Rudge and for Bert Thorpe are both recorded as RR Labourers.  Presumably this means labourers on the rail road.  But can any one tell me what is the meaning of the numbers  11-9-00 in the next column ( Employment other than chief employment etc)

Regards

Roger
Thorpe (East Sussex), Wenham (East Sussex) Willett (East Sussex and Kent) Ades (East Sussex) Rushton (Staffordshire Moorlands) Finney (Staffordshire Moorlands) Wheeldon (Staffordshire Moorlands) Critchlow (Staffordshire Moorlands)

Offline waiteohman

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 18 July 06 02:39 BST (UK) »
Hello Roger

The 1911 census is explained on this website:
http://www.collectionscanada.ca/archivianet/1911/006003-100.04-e.html#b

11= transportation
9 = Laborers, unskilled, messengers, teamsters
00= Farmer N.S.

Linda

JJ nice train site also. My ggrandfather worked on the rr so it was nice to see pics around his era. Cheers, Linda
Dorman, Waite, Moore, Clark/Clarke, Neil, Rennie/Rainey, Brown, Mclean, Day, Millar/Miller, Gunion/Gunzion, Thomson, Black, Milvain, McCubbin, Steadman, Kirby

Offline rogerofgoostrey

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 18 July 06 08:58 BST (UK) »
Thanks Linda for clarifying that bit of the 1911 census for me.

Kind regards

Roger
Thorpe (East Sussex), Wenham (East Sussex) Willett (East Sussex and Kent) Ades (East Sussex) Rushton (Staffordshire Moorlands) Finney (Staffordshire Moorlands) Wheeldon (Staffordshire Moorlands) Critchlow (Staffordshire Moorlands)