Author Topic: Romany history  (Read 8773 times)

Offline jax

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Romany history
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 21 November 04 20:17 GMT (UK) »
WAHOOOooooo

I found my g g grandparents - its seems that my g g grandfather JOHN TWYMAN died as a result of being bombed during WW2 (august 1943) while in his bed in Ramsgate.  He is remembered on the CWGC site under civilian deaths. It also names his wife as Thrisa Twyman - Who is rumoured to be my gypsy ancestor - so at last a link to follow and the correct spelling of her first (rather unsual I thought) christian name...

dont you just love it when this happens???

;D ;D ;D

Jones, Venner, Kenealy, Morphett, Tree, Maxted, Page, all from or around Lydd, Ivychurch, Romney Marsh.<br />Also<br />Twyman, Daisy Kent/Thanet Area.<br />Also<br />Fidler, Berkshire.  Butcher, Faversham.<br />Also<br />Everson Suffolk/Norfolk<br />Knights, Vann (Wenn) Norfolk
Hilden - Kent and surrounding areas (romany gypsy connections)

Offline casalguidi

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 21 November 04 21:15 GMT (UK) »
Jax

I have some (albeit rather distant) links to Kent DAISYs in my "travelling" tree:

William DAISY m Maria TODD etc...............

Am particularly interested in the banns read for a William DAISY 1905 ............... whereby no marriage found

Casalguidi
Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jax

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 22 November 04 12:52 GMT (UK) »
hiya  :D

hay we may have a link here - i am aware of a william daisy in my tree and am currently in contact with a lady called Janet Todd who also has connections.  I am at work at the moment, so cant look at all my information, but keep in touch - i am sure we will have some information to share

jax

Jones, Venner, Kenealy, Morphett, Tree, Maxted, Page, all from or around Lydd, Ivychurch, Romney Marsh.<br />Also<br />Twyman, Daisy Kent/Thanet Area.<br />Also<br />Fidler, Berkshire.  Butcher, Faversham.<br />Also<br />Everson Suffolk/Norfolk<br />Knights, Vann (Wenn) Norfolk

Offline jax

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 23 November 04 12:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi me again

I found the following in an email from a contact:

"Maria TODD=William Daisy 20 December 1856, sittingbourne.  I have a contact who connects to the Todds via BERRY & she has a marriage of Catherine BERRY to John DAISEY 18 August 1862 also sittingbourne.  John & William most probably being brothers both have a father JOHN. this latter couple baptised two of their children in Ramsgate.

There is another William Daisey who established the Daisey family in Ramsgate.  there are indications that he may be the son of either one or other of these two couples but as yet we have not been able to prove this."

This information is from a lady in Kent whom I am in contact with..  let me know if you would like to contact her and I'll email her to check its ok...

Also, I would be grateful of any information of your connections.

Look forward to hearing from you  :)

jax

Offline casalguidi

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 23 November 04 12:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jax

Will send you a PM about the TODD DAISEY BERRY and related travelling families

Casalguidi
Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline FIFI

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 07 June 06 13:56 BST (UK) »
I have got to say that I am a member of the Romany & Travelers FHS and my £8.00 a year is well spent.

Unlike other family history societies we are a small and friendly group that are tracing our roots and we  are over a wide area.

The society like all others are run by VOLUNTEERS who are not paid for the work they do they manage to hold 4-5 open days a year. One is this Saturday 10th June at Bedford and the only one they charge for during the year  as there are two speakers, music and lunch also all this for only £15 for members.

The next one will be in Exeter later on in the year were they will have the research  and this is also a day to catch up with old friends because that is what we have all become and Janet Keet-Black and the committee have done a wonderful job.

If any of you think you can do better I am sure she would please to receive articles for the journal about your Gypsy ancestors.

Sorry about the rant by I have been tracing my Gypsy families for over 10 years and have appreciated all the help I have received from the RTFHS.

Fifi >:(
Cooper & Williams Norwood & Croydon (Gipsies)
Mills Mitcham & Croydon (Gipsies)
Gomm Croydon,Streatham,Chalfont st Petera
Bulgin Surrey & Kent