Author Topic: Emigration from England to NSW c. 1871  (Read 9308 times)

Offline Juls

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Emigration from England to NSW c. 1871
« Reply #9 on: Monday 17 July 06 13:09 BST (UK) »
Hi Trish,

Thanks alot for your reply. I'm glad you agree its virtually impossible for Thomas to be the father of the 1st child if he hadn't been in NSW previously. Maybe  as you suggest the census has been incorrect which would mean the parents lied :o  For what reason though ???
I'd like to think that he was the father but he may have just been a good bloke :D helping his new girlfriend out.

Juls

Offline tropicalj

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • six grandkids
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 17 July 06 23:13 BST (UK) »
Hello there

a question for you  on the wedding certificate did it list thomas's profession  you say he was an engine fitter in 1871 but then you say he was a bootmaker

by the 1881 census he father has died and perhaps one of the neices cause georgina Douny  and eleanor and sharah cooper are living at east mosely  you now doubt have this

so one might asume he died arrive in australia in 1871

regards jenn
When you search for ancestors, you find great friends!
I live in Townsville researching
TOWNSEND,PINNEGAR, STRANGE, PULLEN, GRIFFIN from Wiltshire,,
SHOEBRIDGE, VINALL, BRINDLE, Kent
BAYLEY, Dorset,Yorkshire,
HAIR, Durham,
CUMMINS, BROWNLESS from Yorkshire,
EDSALL,  Cornwall,
MORGAN, HENNESSY, BAKER,  Ireland.
VAN REYK Sri Lanka
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.au

Offline Juls

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 18 July 06 07:39 BST (UK) »
Hi Jenn,

To answer your questions - when I found Thomas William Downey in the 1871 census in England he was listed as an Engine Cleaner [father was an Engineer or Engine driver]
 As I think I may have written previously  I was totally shocked :o to find him there as he was married in NSW in Oct 1871 with his new wife approx. 7 months pregnant.
 I had always been told by his grandchildren he had come to Aust. when he was about 15 years old.
Death cert. states he had been in NSW for about 72 years but the informant was son-in-law.He died in 1939 aged 86.
On his marriage certificate he is listed as a bootmaker which was to be his occupation for the next few decades. He married at age 18.
Yes, I do have details of the 1881 census where his mother is listed as Georgina Douny [widowed], his sister Sarah Cooper[widowed] and niece Eleanor. I'm not sure if Rosina has died or perhaps she could be staying with relatives.
Unfortunately the Downey family seems to swap their names around at will which makes life difficult for me tracing them!

Juls

Offline tropicalj

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • six grandkids
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 18 July 06 08:42 BST (UK) »
hello there juls

seems rather odd that he changed his trade n such a short time!!!

do you know what the candels did in sydney

regards jenn
When you search for ancestors, you find great friends!
I live in Townsville researching
TOWNSEND,PINNEGAR, STRANGE, PULLEN, GRIFFIN from Wiltshire,,
SHOEBRIDGE, VINALL, BRINDLE, Kent
BAYLEY, Dorset,Yorkshire,
HAIR, Durham,
CUMMINS, BROWNLESS from Yorkshire,
EDSALL,  Cornwall,
MORGAN, HENNESSY, BAKER,  Ireland.
VAN REYK Sri Lanka
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.au

Offline Juls

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 18 July 06 09:30 BST (UK) »
Hi Jenn,

I do wonder Jenn, if perhaps the census was incorrectly recorded and Thomas William was in NSW after all. I'll never know I guess.
I think he may have learnt the trade of bootmaking/ bootclosing/bootclicking [all the descriptions are from BDM certs.] from a relative by the name of William Downey [b.c. 1864] who also emigrated to NSW from England and I can't find him either. His parents were William Downey and Annie Wakefield.
 Bit  of mystery there as family always thought he and Thomas were brothers but looks as if they were cousins.Can't find connection at this stage.Would love to though.

Re: Cansdell occupations in NSW. Yes, Thomas Edmund{ Hannah's father] was a joiner/builder. Also possibly a grocer although that could have been another Cansdell.
Found him in the 1851 census, aged 16 [no POB] living with Mary Ann Hall, [ his future wife] and her family in the Greenwich Dockyard area, Woolwich as an apprentice to Mary Ann's father George.

Juls

Offline trish251

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 18 July 06 09:45 BST (UK) »
Hi Juls

Just in passing - I found a relative recently (1820s vintage) who went from being a shoemaker to a cheese dealer in the space of 5 years. I initially thought I had 2 people but 99% sure it is the same person - so career changes don't just belong with current generations!

Meanwhile - I am seriously thinking that your latter comment
he may have just been a good bloke  helping his new girlfriend out
may well be the correct one.

Trish
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Juls

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 18 July 06 09:52 BST (UK) »
Hi Trish,

Cheese dealing sounds so much more interesting than shoemaking :)

Because Thomas William Downey was my gg grandgather I like to think he was a nice, decent bloke! ;D

He and his wife had 10 children together who all survived and from the photos I have seen of them together they looked to be very happily married.

I guess there's no way of ever knowing whether he is the father of 1st child without knowing his shipping details. Also probably no way of verifying whether he was definitely in England at time of census.

Juls

Offline kasey15

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 30 January 09 04:05 GMT (UK) »
Dear Juls,

I would like to make contact with you again over William Cansdell & Elizabeth Button; Thomas Cansdell and Mary, Thomas Edmund Cansdell and Mary Ann Hall, Hannah and Thomas Downey.

I have lots of new and confirmed information on members of our family and could answer many of the questions thrown back and forward in this message stream
kasey15

Offline Juls

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 08 February 09 09:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi Kasey.

I would absolutely love to hear what you have. Sorry but I cant quite remember being in contact with you. There have been so many contacts over the years and I havent had much time lately to spend on the "family".My email address is

Moderator Comment: email address removed to prevent spam and other abuses. Please use the secure PM (personal message) system to share email addresses and other personal information. Thank You.

Kasey, as a new member you will need to make a couple more posts for the PM system to open up to you. (just reply here) Then Juls will be able to send email address

Thanks

Juls