Author Topic: Family stories-- True or False?  (Read 17329 times)

Offline CarolBurns

• I am no longer accepting new replies to my topics
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'm still looking !
    • View Profile
Re: Family stories-- True or False?
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 16 July 06 11:38 BST (UK) »
Could you imagine the list of "famous" names that we would collect lol

Mine alone include Johnny Walker (Whiskey fame), Robbie Burns (hard as I don't think he had any children) and William Wallace (again no children) Less famous would be Hugh Thomas (Iron Foundry Owner in Caernarfon) as well as Griffiths Ferries (related to Hugh Thomas through marriage)

Carol
Thomas, Williams,Owen (s),Griffith (s), Jones - Anglesey<br />Burns, Wallace - Northumberland, Ireland, Scotland<br />Horsburgh, Sandilands, Blackhall, Rankine, Rankin, Hilson, Nielson - Scotland <br />Turnbull, Mills, Burgoyne, Burgon - Northumberland, <br />Davidson - Scotland, India, Burma<br /> Lopez - India, Burma<br/>

Offline jjq

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 16 July 06 11:58 BST (UK) »
Well, my gran always said that somewhere in the family Welsh married Irish - but as of now, there is no welsh or irish blood in the family.

Also that some of my ancestors were used as models for a famous oil painting.

The latter has been proved ( at least, one member of the family was used as  a model for a painting called "Hard Times" by Herkomer - at the Manchester City Art Gallery). Herkomer ran an art school in the village where my ancestors lived and many villagers were used as models by him and his pupils.

As for the former - the names of Wells and Welch appear - and Quarry is supposed to be a Scottish or Irish name - but that is as near as I get!!!

regards

Jan
Hertfordshire - Stone, Wells, Quarry,Claxton
London - Sutton (Southwark/Clerkenwell), Phillips (Clerkenwell), Stone (Chelsea)
Suffolk - Turner & Rogers (Lavenham)
Norfolk - (K)Nobbs & Germany (Norwich)
Middlesex - Shackell
Anywhere - Quarry & variants
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline KathMc

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 16 July 06 16:06 BST (UK) »
My brother made a point last week when I said our 9th great grandfather was Shakespeare's lawyer that once you get back that far, someone has to have some kind of connection somewhere, as a person would have a couple thousand 9th greats or something absurd like that. Makes me feel like I have an immense amount of work to do on my research.  :o
Sligo: Davey (also Mayo), McCluskey, McNulty
Wexford and Staffordshire: Hayes, McClean
Galway and Staffordshire: Scott
Coventry: Wells, Collins, Palmer, Moody, Beck, Mickelwright, Husbands
Ireland: McNulty (Sligo), Kealy, Murphy (Carlow) Connolly, Gillen, Powell, Ryan, Moore, Martin
Davis from I don't know where originally
Stahl, Russia to England to USA

Offline Mensor38

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 17 July 06 17:14 BST (UK) »
One of our family stories is about the name 'Tennyson' in the family. In the early 1990's, I began to get interested in Genealogy and 'round-robined' my elder relatives, one cousin in particular was very forthcoming and among many gems, mentioned that 'we had a Tennyson connection - with the rider that it was a wrong side of the blanket relationship'
Due to the need to eat, I had to carry on working until about 2000, when I then re-started my searches, now with the benefit of computer and internet and the gaps began to fill in.
My first surprise was that there was a Tennyson generation, with each of seven children having the middle name Tennyson, all between 1813 and 1823. As things developed, it turned out that each of the seven produced offspring who became widespread, here, in USA and Australia (at least) and that more or less each branch had a version of the story - either the wrong side of the blanket version or the a disowned son after a disapproved marriage.
So far, no one version can be proved, but there are tantalizing hints, clues and blind alleys.
The childrens' father was a master mariner called John Williams (something of a mystery man, no age at marriage, no provable antecedants, no provable place of birth and no provable date or cause of death - but family possibles). What is proved is, he was married in Grimsby to Elizabeth Harrison of Aylesby and all seven children were christened in Grimsby.
In the relevant period at their marriage in 1811, there were Williams and Tennysons on both sides of the Humber in Lincs and East Yorks.
George Clayton Tennyson, a well as being rector of Somerby and Bag Enderby, also had the living of Grimsby.
His father George was a solicitor and founding source for the construction of Grimsby Docks by way of the Haven Company. One of the other founding shareholders, called Brandstrom, a merchant, had a son who married John Williams' eldest daughter.
A John Tennyson, born 1758 in Preston/Hedon in Yorks whose father was Ralph Tennyson, married a Mary Bennington in 1780 and had two sons, one, another John, born in 1784 has (so far) disappeared from the record.
A John Williams, master mariner is recorde on memorial inscriptions in St Mary' church, Lowgate, Hull where his wife ids recorded as dying age 54 in 1781, also, their daughter who died 1770 age 21 - could there have been a brother of the daughter, called John, or could the father have remarried late in life, perhaps?
Or could it simply be a case that John Williams, when naming his children, opted either to call them after the Rev having the living of Grimsby (although they were christened by a Rev Stockdale), or after the philanthropist/employer? building Grimsby docks?

One day an answer may emerge!!!

Questions: 
Lincolnshire,  Christian, Dent, Green, Harrison, Priest, Shepherd, Williams,

Offline sarah e

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Veteran
  • Great granddad Wilson
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 17 July 06 18:16 BST (UK) »
My quest began 8 years ago with the sudden death of my mums twin sister at the age of 52. We are an incredibly small family (or so I thought!!!). Before her death there was my Aunty Carol and her 3 kids and my Mum (Anne) and her 3 kids. That was it. Oh and a first cousin of my mum, Gordon, whom we had lost touch with some years before. Now my Aunty Carol had insisted for as long as we could remember that her and Mum had an elder (illegitimate) brother that had been given up for adoption. My gran was a scarey lady and neither mum or carol ever asked her out right and there was never anything said about it. Now my Mum and her sister were illegitimate, bn 1946 so it could have been true.
                          Anyways, with the death of Carol I decided to start looking into where my family had come from. My Gran never mentioned any of her family except for her sister Lena (Gordons Mum). So i picked my mums brain on anything she could remember and there were a couple of stories that popped up. She said

Grandmas favourite brother died during WW2 (correct)
The whole family came from Leeds (correct).
Some one in the family spent time on the isle of man (correct).
Some one went off for the gold rush but only came back with a parrot (no proof so far but would be cool if its true).

The one I never cracked was the brother story. Anyway, fast forward 8 years of bone shaking and we have a family tree to be proud of, 700 peeps, all verified with paper work etc, but still no hint of a brother. Me and mum are cleaning out cupboards one day and come across an old address book, lo and behold, cousin gordons phone number. Long since expired (the number not gordon) but on the trail now I hit the directory and on the 7th call found him. Big surprise, lots of excitement, come on down and say hi. So mum and I head off for the day, meet up with Gordon and his wife, have a smashing day picking his brains for any family tree info. Gave him a bound version of the tree to keep and he's looking through it and saying
'lovely, lovely, gosh you have worked hard havent you, ere hang on a moment, wheres David?'
'which one?' says me
'Yours Mams big brother' well stone me, my mum just gawped at him, I did the geneaologist jump (involves jumping around shouting ' you dancer- I knew id find you if I looked,dug,cried,begged hard enough').
So 700 people, 2 centurys, 7 gazillion squigly census images, long days, even longer nights, hair pulling, computer tantrums and people that just plan disappear and the answer was just a phone call away. How ever I would not trade it for a second. I am now 32 and I still believe I am one of the youngest people doing this (I started when I was 24). Now I'm off to hunt for a certain parrot

Regards, Sarah
Glendenning
Laycock
Wilson
Garnett
(Halifax, Shelf, Hunslet, Bradford, Manningham, Leeds)

Offline KathMc

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 17 July 06 19:57 BST (UK) »
Sarah,

Absolutely fantastic story. I have always said, I would rather find the colorful and the "dirt" then the royalty. Much more interesting lives. Let us know about the parrot. And have you connected with David?

Kathleen
Sligo: Davey (also Mayo), McCluskey, McNulty
Wexford and Staffordshire: Hayes, McClean
Galway and Staffordshire: Scott
Coventry: Wells, Collins, Palmer, Moody, Beck, Mickelwright, Husbands
Ireland: McNulty (Sligo), Kealy, Murphy (Carlow) Connolly, Gillen, Powell, Ryan, Moore, Martin
Davis from I don't know where originally
Stahl, Russia to England to USA

Offline MarieC

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • In Queensland, Oz
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 18 July 06 10:38 BST (UK) »
Not an awful lot of stories for me, but all the ones that I have been able to check on my Dad's side are true (my Dad's family seem to have been very accurate recorders!!!)

But my mum always said that she was descended from Captain Cook's family (not him, he doesn't have direct descendants).  Not true, unfortunately.  An ancestor called Eleanor Cook, yes - no relation.  A couple of mariners.  But no sign of the good Captain!!!

MarieC
Census information is Crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Martins in London and Wales, Lockwoods in Yorkshire, Hartleys in London, Lichfield and Brighton, Hubands and Smiths in Ireland, Bentleys in London and Yorkshire, Denhams in Somerset, Scoles in London, Meyers in London, Cooks in Northumberland

Offline ggrocott

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I will find them eventually!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 18 July 06 12:34 BST (UK) »
Well both the story about being descended from the Blairs of Blair Atholl - our Blair's came from Durham although there is a link to Scotland via Jessie Simpson - and the one about the heiress to Knight's Castille soap who was disowned when she married a railwayman have proved to be untrue.

So far the furthest up the social scale I have managed to get are an obviously fairly well-off farmer, a sea captain and a jeweller - the rest are ag labs/labs and miners almost to a man although there is a police office, a mason and a few cobblers and tailors thrown in to give us a bit of variety.  It amazes me how few of the married women seem to have any occupation - did they not work,  or were their jobs not considered worthy of recognition?
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Tagg, Bowyer (Berkshire/Surrey), Adams, Small, Pratt, Coles, Stevens, Cox (Bucks), Grocott, Slater, Dean, Hill (Staffs/Shropshire), Holloway, Flint, Warrington,Turnbull (London), Montague, Barrett (Herts), Hayward (Kent), Gallon, Knight, Ede, Tribe, Bunn, Northeast, Nicholds (Sussex) Penduck, Pinnell, Yeeles (Gloucs), Johns (Monmouth and Devon), Head (Bath), Tedbury, Bowyer (Somerset), Chapman, Barrett (Herts/Essex)

Offline sarah e

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Veteran
  • Great granddad Wilson
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 18 July 06 12:36 BST (UK) »
I think most women were too busy looking after the family, having babies etc to work. It wasn't expected then. A woman worked untill she got married. If she didnt marry then she would work untill she had to look after ailing parents.

regards, Sarah
Glendenning
Laycock
Wilson
Garnett
(Halifax, Shelf, Hunslet, Bradford, Manningham, Leeds)