Author Topic: Osmaston Burials  (Read 5955 times)

Offline D ap D

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Stuck with John Jones in Wales? Join the club!
    • View Profile
Osmaston Burials
« on: Friday 14 July 06 09:28 BST (UK) »
I see on the NBI that burials in Osmaston started in 1813.

I have an ancestor who lived there and died in 1782. Can anyone tell me where he is likely to have been buried? And are there any records available?

D
Stuck with:
William Williams of Llanllyfni
John Jones in Llanelli
Evan Evans in Caio
David Davies of Llansanffraid
Evans: Caio/Carms
Jones: CDG, DEN

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

"Nor do I think that any other nation than this of Wales, or any other tongue, whatever may hereafter come to pass, shall on the day of the great reckoning before the Most High Judge, answer for this corner of the earth": The Old Man of Pencader to Henry II

Offline jaywit

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I will find them wherever they are hiding
    • View Profile
Re: Osmaston Burials
« Reply #1 on: Friday 14 July 06 10:02 BST (UK) »
Cross Steeple Claydon Bucks,  Jennings Steeple Claydon Bucks,  Steel Byfield Northants,  Rogers Northants,  Wheeler Oxon,  Roberts Oxon,  Bonham Oxon/ Middleton Cheney Northants,  Maycock Northants,  Abbott Northants , Newman Northants, Buckingham Bucks, Hart Warks, Newth Gloucs.

UK Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MickMac

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 14 July 06 20:41 BST (UK) »
I remember there being a cemetery, long overgrown, off Ascot Drive (off Osmaston Park Rd) Derby. If I remember correctly, most of the Graves were barely readable. That was in the early 70's. Anyone know anything about this cemetery and what happened to it?
Barker (Staffs & Derby), Horsley (Derbyshire), Pass, (Derbyshire), Chisholm (Derbyshire & Scotland), Denton (Bedfords & Derbyshire), Wileman (Derby), Wood (Derby), Straw (Notts), Rudkin (Leics), McDermott, (Cavan), Lawler (Meath)

Offline jaywit

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I will find them wherever they are hiding
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 14 July 06 21:08 BST (UK) »
I have to admit I have not been round that part of Derby for many years, but the nearest church to Ascot Drive is St Bartholomews on Addison Rd. My parents were married there. The burials D ap D were looking for were at Osmaston village not Derby.
Cross Steeple Claydon Bucks,  Jennings Steeple Claydon Bucks,  Steel Byfield Northants,  Rogers Northants,  Wheeler Oxon,  Roberts Oxon,  Bonham Oxon/ Middleton Cheney Northants,  Maycock Northants,  Abbott Northants , Newman Northants, Buckingham Bucks, Hart Warks, Newth Gloucs.

UK Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MickMac

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 14 July 06 21:12 BST (UK) »
My mistake! I forgot there was an Osmaston Village.

The Cemetery was next to the Railway yard at the end of the long bridge and wasn't near any standing church.
Barker (Staffs & Derby), Horsley (Derbyshire), Pass, (Derbyshire), Chisholm (Derbyshire & Scotland), Denton (Bedfords & Derbyshire), Wileman (Derby), Wood (Derby), Straw (Notts), Rudkin (Leics), McDermott, (Cavan), Lawler (Meath)

Offline Alvaston Lad

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 15 July 06 13:00 BST (UK) »
I live close by Ascot Drive, The Church was called St James the Lesser, by the 1970s the church was gone, it was the family church for the Wilmot-Horton family of the nearby Osmaston Hall, they gave their name to Wilmorton at the end of Ascot Drive, the church fell in to disrepair when st Osmunds church was built on London road in 1904, the grave yard was dug up in the 80s and the remains moved to Nottingham Road Cemertry, the area is now an Industrial estate, what a pity it was not restored, ther was a chinese Gentleman buried there named Charles Osmaston, he was brought back to England as an Infant, from the Battlefield of one of the China wars by one of the Wilmots, who brought him up as his own son and educated him and he became a gentleman.
Betts - Derby/Hadleigh, Suffolk
Caudwell - Dbys/ Teversall, Notts
Hanson/ Henson - Alvaston/ Melbourne Dbys, Burton on Trent, Staffs
Eastham/Edge - Chorley, Lancs
Roome - Riddings, Dbys
Barber - Melbourne/ Kings Newton, Dbys
Gadsby - Breedon on the Hill, Lei
Powdrill - Breedon on theHill, Lei
Hopkinson - Shirland/Brackenfield, Dbys
Hunt/Wood/Oldfield - Sth Wingfield, Dbys
Carnell - Darley, Dbys
Barker - York / Derby
Morton - Derby
Frost & Newton - Heanor, Dbys
Hill-Tibshelf, Dby

Offline D ap D

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Stuck with John Jones in Wales? Join the club!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 16 July 06 12:50 BST (UK) »
thats just the sort of local knowledge I'm looking for. Names and dates are just cold facts and relatively meaningless unless padded out with info like this.

Thanks.

D
Stuck with:
William Williams of Llanllyfni
John Jones in Llanelli
Evan Evans in Caio
David Davies of Llansanffraid
Evans: Caio/Carms
Jones: CDG, DEN

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

"Nor do I think that any other nation than this of Wales, or any other tongue, whatever may hereafter come to pass, shall on the day of the great reckoning before the Most High Judge, answer for this corner of the earth": The Old Man of Pencader to Henry II

Offline alf

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 08 August 06 04:51 BST (UK) »
What are the names you are after?

You may find them at this link

http://www.wishful-thinking.org.uk/genuki/

Offline Smilingwillowb

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 28 January 21 11:53 GMT (UK) »
I live close by Ascot Drive, The Church was called St James the Lesser, by the 1970s the church was gone, it was the family church for the Wilmot-Horton family of the nearby Osmaston Hall, they gave their name to Wilmorton at the end of Ascot Drive, the church fell in to disrepair when st Osmunds church was built on London road in 1904, the grave yard was dug up in the 80s and the remains moved to Nottingham Road Cemetery, the area is now an Industrial estate

I've found a report in the Derby Daily Telegraph of an interment "in the Old Churchyard in Osmaston Park." on Tuesday, 29th November 1938. Would that be the one mentioned above? The funeral was of Charles Henry Smith, of 467, Osmaston Park Road, and the funeral service had been at St Christopher's Church, Derby.