Author Topic: Birth/baptism names  (Read 5956 times)

Offline JeannieR

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Me with eldest grandson Nick, now 23
    • View Profile
Re: Birth/baptism names
« Reply #9 on: Friday 29 October 04 23:35 BST (UK) »
Thank Goodness some one else is having the same problem!!
I thought I was going mad

I have been looking for my gran,  Sarah Hughes for over two years. I have been SO exasperated, I discarded one family many times, because there was no Sarah.

On the 1881/1891 census' she is Sissy and Ciss!!!

It was only in the 1901 census that her proper name was used, fortunately, all her siblings were still at home, so I knew it was the same  family......and then the penny dropped, I have finally got her birth certificate, verifying every thing.
This information is Crown Copyright, from www.national archives.gov.uk

Offline leagen

• RootsChat Senior
  • Researching Family from Ireland during potato fam
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 30 October 04 01:26 BST (UK) »
I had a Great-Aunt named Carrie, even buried under that name.  Recently I found her in 1930 census, her Real name was Caroline.  No one in family Ever called her anything but Carrie and I spoke to living rells and non Ever knew she was Caroline so I found a new bit of info for the family.  Also my g.g.grand mother was Mina, Married and buried that way, turns out she was really Almina.  Now I have added my Own bit of confusion to the family tree, I dropped my first name when I was 20 when I got Married  and go by my middle name, maiden name initial and married last name so anyone years from now looking for me under my birth name will never find me.  (Wish I could say the same for the Tax Man!)
Jenkins-Salmon-Dwyer-Hill-Sargent/ Seargent-Young/ Jung-White-Kinney/ Kenny-Cook-Waterman-O'Neill-McDonald-Shufelt/ Shufeldt-Wilbur/ Wilber-Patterson--Covey-Tisdale-Wells-Dodge-Palmer.

Offline Darcy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Searching for little needles in big haystacks
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 30 October 04 03:57 BST (UK) »

My grandfather was known by one and all as 'George' and I believed that to be his name. My cousin George was named after him.

I now have all Grandad's certificates and census information and George Shepherd never existed. His name was Sydney......
Darcy
Fisher, Pitts, Lucas, Emmit, Keal, Bennett, Maddock, Jackson, Pidd, Lincolnshire <br />Bullock, Read, White, Gloucestershire.<br />Shepherd, Foyle, Crowter, Green, Wiltshire<br />Strickland, Fisher, Butterworth, Brown, Northhamptonshire<br />Shepherd, Bullock, Waterhouse, Lancashire
Fisher, Goodwin, Rutland
<br /><br /><br /> Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline leagen

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 30 October 04 07:12 BST (UK) »
My father was born in Puerto Rico and there you have both parents names as last names w/mother's last such as : Juan Ortiz Martinez would be son of a father named Ortiz but mother named Martinez.  Sometimes they are given another middle name also but my father wasn't.  When my father came to U.S. mainland they asked him his mothers maiden name and he told them "Martinez", then they asked him his last name and he said "Martinez" so for years he was thought by many to be named Juan Martinez Martinez.  We were christened w/last name Martinez because that was on everything dad had,  then when dad got ready to retire he had to go though a lot of paperwork due to this confusion and he told us kids our real last name is Ortiz and we needed to change to that.  So if anyone from P.R. tries to find us they never will 'cause we chose to stick w/Martinez instead of change to Ortiz.  So between that name problem and the fact I don't use my first name,  I am all but lost to future seekers not to mention  I DON'T KNOW WHO I AM!!!
Jenkins-Salmon-Dwyer-Hill-Sargent/ Seargent-Young/ Jung-White-Kinney/ Kenny-Cook-Waterman-O'Neill-McDonald-Shufelt/ Shufeldt-Wilbur/ Wilber-Patterson--Covey-Tisdale-Wells-Dodge-Palmer.

Offline Su

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Every time an Angel smiles a flower grows
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 30 October 04 11:04 BST (UK) »
My Dad was John but always called Jack
One of his sister's was Sarah Elizabeth, but always known as Sally
Another Sister was Margaret but always known as Peggy.
A Great Aunt was Georgina, known as Gina
Grt Uncle Richard was Dick
Grt Uncle William was Bill
and on and on......  so when typing out my trees I always put the nicknames in brackets.  In fact on Dad's gravestone it says ...John (Jack) Yarwood.
My Auntie Sally only told me a couple of years ago that she had been named after her Great Great Grandmother and Grandmother, I'd only ever known her as Aunty Sal.

Su
Barnett Altrincham/Manchester
Bates Hindley Lancs
Bowyer Altrincham Cheshire
Cunliffe Hindley
Hollingworth Hale Barnes/Mobberley Ches
Jones Salford/Altrincham
Ramsdale Hindley Lancs
Timperley Warburton/Dunham Massey
Yarwood Great Budworth,Lymm,Dumham Massey

All Census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright

Offline Bee

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 30 October 04 16:01 BST (UK) »
I too had an Uncle Dick, I always assumed it tobe Richard til I found his obituary and he's really called Arthur ???

Also Aunt Sadie turned out to be Sarah Jane and Aunt Cissie was Lucy.

It's no wonder we get confused

Bee
Dinsdale, Ellis, Gee, Goldsmith,Green,Hawks,Holmes,  Lacey, Longhorn, Pickersgill, Quantrill,Tuthill, Tuttle & Walker,  in E & W Yorks, Lincs, Norfolk & Suffolk. Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline JeannieR

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Me with eldest grandson Nick, now 23
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 31 October 04 17:09 GMT (UK) »
Would some one please give me a clue, as to what a person called Augusta, might go by?

I have Augusta Hughes 15, living at  102 Rishton Street, Everton
on the 1901 census. But I can't find her in any other . She would have been born circa 1886.

Her father was William Hughes, book keeper, and her mum, was
Isabella Hughes, Nee Dagwell.

She was certainly not at home in 1891 census, Mum was a widow, now Bella Hughes, living at Albion Street Everton.

Any thoughts, most gratefully received

Kind thoughts
JeannieR
This information is Crown Copyright, from www.national archives.gov.uk

Offline leagen

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 31 October 04 18:34 GMT (UK) »
Could be Gussy.  I have a male cousin named Agustus and that's what we call him.  It would fit for a girl too.  I doubt if she'd Allow anyone to call her Auggie.  But maybe Aggie.

Offline JillJ

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 31 October 04 21:04 GMT (UK) »
I would agree with that - either Gussy or Aggie.

Jill
Jowett & Broadbent in Leeds.
Perry, Hartshorn/e & Wilkes in Birmingham & Dudley. Walker and Dabill in Sheffield & Notts.
Farrar in Darlington & Leeds.
Kidd & Taylor in Hartlepool & Teesside
Census information is crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk