Author Topic: McDermott - Glassleck Shercock  (Read 13259 times)

Offline TessieWessie

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: McDermott - Glassleck Shercock
« Reply #9 on: Monday 17 September 12 17:01 BST (UK) »
Your best bet would be to firstly contact the Cavan Genealogy Research in County Cavan.  Thats who I originally contacted regarding my ancestors and they luckily put me in touch with another of my McDermott line who was also looking up the family tree.  They also gave me lots of further info, but of course you do have to pay for it.
I have been out to Cavan and found out where my Gt.Grandparents lived and bought up their family before being kicked off their land which eventually made them emigrate to England.  I amm still researching them and you nev er know we might be related ;) ;)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 18 September 12 09:31 BST (UK) »
Hi there,

I have just started trying to trace my family tree. My grandfather Peter McDermott was from Swanlinbar in Cavan. But I don't know how to go any further except to got to cavan and investigate.

Welcome to Rootschat  :) but just remember not to post details of living people.

Start with his birth registration- the online civil registration index goes up to 1958 for Co. Cavan so it's likely you will find his birth listed.
https://familysearch.org/search/collection/list#page=1&countryId=1927084

If he was born before 1911 you can check the census online (also free)-
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/search/

Have a look at Introduction to Irish Records and My Ancestor came from Ireland - where do I start?.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline j9harman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 21 September 12 23:27 BST (UK) »
Hello everyone, this is the first time I have been on this site, and already I've added to my family tree, so thank you for that.

My Grandfather (on mothers side) was Michael Ambrose McDermott born 1906 June, in Pelton Fell, he died in 1976 Guildford Surrey.

His father was Edward McDermott B 1859 Shercock, Caven, Norther Ireland, Died 1927, he was a coalminer.  He was married to Mary Ann Caveney B. 1871 in Dewsbury Yorkshire.

Edward McDermott (B 1859) mother was Bridget B @1816 in Ireland (from your notes above it's likely she had the surname McEntee and was married to Edward McDermott and they were married in  1840.

I have a whole list of siblings for Michael Ambrose McDermott and Edward McDermott (B. 1859). 

It looks like some of us could possibly be relations  :)
My Grandfather Michael Ambrose McDermott married Lilian Lucy Mundy, their oldest Daughter * (my mother), Married * my father. Therefore I am Janine *n born * born in *, now living in Chessington Surrey.

Hello again.

Regards
Janine

* see next reply

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 21 September 12 23:33 BST (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat, Janine. We don't allow posting details of living people, or those who may still be alive, here to protect their privacy, etc. so I've edited your post to tak out the names, etc. of you and your parents.
See Posting Guidelines-
http://www.rootschat.com/help/posting_guide.php#living
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline j9harman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 21 September 12 23:35 BST (UK) »
Thank you!

Regards

Janine

Offline TessieWessie

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 22 September 12 12:59 BST (UK) »
Hi Janine

Well we are definitely related as your grandad was my Uncle Mick and his wife Aunt Lily.

I have been in touch with Stott regarding the family tree as he is also delving into it.

Did you come by the info you have regarding our McDermott line from him or did you research it yourself?  I have been researching our family for 10 years now and have just found yet another family member in Newcastle who is contacting his relatives on the McDermott side to see if they know any more info. 

I have been to Ireland twice to see the place Edward and Bridget lived in 1840 - 1865 and have a photo of the remains of the cottage where Bridget grew up.  I was shown these places by yet another of our clan who still lives nearby to where they lived.

If you have been researching yourself have you found when Edward (Michael Ambrose's grandfather) died?  I have been trying to find that out for years with no success.  Did he come over from Ireland with the others, or did Bridget decide to leave Ireland because of his death?.  I have heard another theory that they all tried to emigrate to America but because some of the family were sick the Border controls at the time would not allow the sick members of the family into America and were sent back to Scotland.  So the family got split up.

My father Patrick (Micks brother) who died in 1967 told me that an aunt of his did emigrate but he didn't have any further info.

Have you any further info that your family may remember from what Uncle Mick might have said.

I think your mothers name starts with M if I'm not mistaken.

I visited another female from your Mc family, also an M, who lives in Hascombe.  In fact I believe she is the eldest female :)

Offline j9harman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 30 September 12 22:24 BST (UK) »
Hello there, yes that's my mother and she's well. I have managed to source much of the family tree myself on line, but at the moment have gone as far as i can go, so copies of  any further information or photos would be highly appreciated. Good to hear from you and mother sends her regards :)