Author Topic: Migrants from Isle of Bute Scotland  (Read 10343 times)

Offline hillhouse

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
Migrants from Isle of Bute Scotland
« on: Thursday 28 October 04 21:02 BST (UK) »
Hi everybody
                     new to the site. Located in Isle of Bute Scotland. In the process of establishing a directory of people who migrated from Bute in the 19th & 20th centuries, and would be pleased to hear from any descendents worldwide who had Isle of Bute ancestors.
I am also only too happy to assist with any enquiries for Isle of Bute
                                regards, Hillhouse

Offline Sabu

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Migrants from Isle of Bute Scotland
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 16 November 04 08:23 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

My family has an association with Bute as the family resided there between 1836 to 1847 originally from Greenock then to Liverpool.

Regards.
Kerr, Cannon, Antrobus, Clark, McLean, McInroy, Jackson, McLeod.
All in the Greenock area from 1790 on.

Offline JAP

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 03 May 05 10:03 BST (UK) »
Hillhouse,

Are you still interested in migrants from Bute to Australia?  (Perhaps an enquiry on the Bute board would be more successful?)

Margaret MUIR, bap 1821, was a daughter of James MUIR of Barone Park, Rothesay and his wife Margaret BLAND.  Her father James (1786-1866) was b Rothesay, a son of William MUIR and Margaret MCDONALD.  William presumably a son, b 1759 in Rothesay, of James MUIR and Isobel FISHER.

Margaret migrated to Australia in the 'Goldfinder' which arrived in 1855.  She came with her husband John PHILP, b 1824, son of Robert PHILP and Margaret LOCHTIE of Bankhead, Dalgety, Fife and their children.

Sadly, Margaret (MUIR) PHILP died in Melbourne, Victoria, Australia on 16 Jan 1859.

John PHILP and Margaret MUIR had married in Jan 1847.  Their children were
-Margaret Bland PHILP b 11 Nov 1847 in Rothesay (Margaret m Jeremiah Clarke MORGAN in 1870 in Melbourne and had several children; she died 1922)
-Mary Muir PHILP b 4 Jun 1852 in Rothesay (she married James Christopher BOLGER in 1870 in Melbourne and had several children; she died 1899)
-Eliza Jane PHILP bap 1 Nov 1854 in Rothesay; she died 1927
-James Muir PHILP b 1856 in Melbourne, Victoria; he died 1861
-William John PHILP b 31 Dec 1858 in Melbourne (he married Mary Ann SULLIVAN in 1887 in Melbourne and had several children; he died 1915).

I understand that Thomas Bland MUIR, b 1816, Margaret's brother - also a child of James MUIR and Margaret BLAND of Barone Park - died in New Zealand.  I understand that descendants of Thomas live in Queensland, Australia.

Regards,

JAP

Offline Mary-Anne

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 15 May 05 12:55 BST (UK) »
I am decended from Rawdon McDouall who left Scotland and immigrated to Australia in 1840 .  I believe he had Bute associations but not sure if he was from the Isle of Bute or just connected to the family of Bute through marriage, a couple of generations before. 
Are there McDouall's in the area?
Cheers,
Mary-Anne

Offline bjcandy

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 11 June 05 09:02 BST (UK) »
I have a David Hillhouse Eaglesham from Dalry who married Agnes Laidlaw in Rothesay, Bute in 1907.  He migrated to Australia somethine after 1911 and before 1915. He enlisted in the Australina Army and was killed in France in 1918. His wife and 3 daughters migrated to Australian c1918. Any information about this family appreciated.

Offline Brian Jenkins

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Family branch established in Australia, 1954
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 20 June 05 19:20 BST (UK) »
My mother, maiden name Jeanie Thompson Blue, b. 1918, has recalled living at Rothesay as a child. Her dad, Alexander Blue, used to move the family to a Glasgow house in the winter. (He was a proficient house-painter and contracted to do artistic interiors for the art-deco ocean liners, and even did some marbling and other fancy stuff at Buckingham Palace.)

My maternal grandma,  née Margaret 'Maggie' Thompson, had seven kids. She used to sublet two or three rented houses in London and Glasgow. After WWII, the whole family moved to London. Our branch emigrated to Sydney in 1954. We went up to Rothesay for a holiday in '53 before sailing down under. Later, Mother's youngest sister also emigrated to Oz, got married and is now living near Cairns in Queensland. (She was born in London in 1938 and never lived on Bute.)

Beaut place, Bute!

Jenkins of Ceredigion and Glamorgan, Wales;
Blue and Thomson of Glasgow and Bute, Scotland.

Offline JillAllen

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 16 May 10 14:14 BST (UK) »
Hillhouse,

Are you still interested in migrants from Bute to Australia?  (Perhaps an enquiry on the Bute board would be more successful?)

Margaret MUIR, bap 1821, was a daughter of James MUIR of Barone Park, Rothesay and his wife Margaret BLAND.  Her father James (1786-1866) was b Rothesay, a son of William MUIR and Margaret MCDONALD.  William presumably a son, b 1759 in Rothesay, of James MUIR and Isobel FISHER.

Margaret migrated to Australia in the 'Goldfinder' which arrived in 1855.  She came with her husband John PHILP, b 1824, son of Robert PHILP and Margaret LOCHTIE of Bankhead, Dalgety, Fife and their children.

Sadly, Margaret (MUIR) PHILP died in Melbourne, Victoria, Australia on 16 Jan 1859.

John PHILP and Margaret MUIR had married in Jan 1847.  Their children were
-Margaret Bland PHILP b 11 Nov 1847 in Rothesay (Margaret m Jeremiah Clarke MORGAN in 1870 in Melbourne and had several children; she died 1922)
-Mary Muir PHILP b 4 Jun 1852 in Rothesay (she married James Christopher BOLGER in 1870 in Melbourne and had several children; she died 1899)
-Eliza Jane PHILP bap 1 Nov 1854 in Rothesay; she died 1927
-James Muir PHILP b 1856 in Melbourne, Victoria; he died 1861
-William John PHILP b 31 Dec 1858 in Melbourne (he married Mary Ann SULLIVAN in 1887 in Melbourne and had several children; he died 1915).

I understand that Thomas Bland MUIR, b 1816, Margaret's brother - also a child of James MUIR and Margaret BLAND of Barone Park - died in New Zealand.  I understand that descendants of Thomas live in Queensland, Australia.

Regards,

JAP

Offline Laura McCarthy

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 03 May 12 08:42 BST (UK) »
Hello, I work in a convent in Perth, Western Australia.  We have been cleaning out some cupboards and have come across a large silver soup ladel with the following inscription "Presented to Mr James Muir, Barone Park, By the Farmers of Bute, as a mark of esteem, and for Gratutory Services for forwarding their interests. August 1845"

We have no idea how it has ended up here, whether, one of his ancestor became a Sister of St Joseph in Australia, or was associated with them in some way? 

We think this spoon probably belongs back with the Muirs (of Australia) if they would like it.

Offline JillAllen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 25 October 15 18:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi.  My name is Jill Allen and I am a descendant of James Muir of Barone Park.  I only just saw your post regarding the commemorative silver piece from Bute. If you still have it I would be most interested in acquiring it for my father. Look forward to hearing from you.
Jill:)