Author Topic: What is the biggest mystery in your tree?  (Read 49729 times)

Offline KathMc

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: What is the biggest mystery in your tree?
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 19 July 06 13:37 BST (UK) »
I'd like to know how I reached 50 without knowing that parents apparently never married . I've searched the records for all the years following my mothers arrival as a refugee to beyond the birth of the 5th child and found nothing. My mum is 86 now and still wears her wedding ring-I have no intention of asking awkard questions to rock the boat
Monique

Monique,

Could you ask your mom for a copy of her marriage cert, saying you need it for your research records, and see what she says? Maybe at 86 she would love to tell the story.

Kathleen
Sligo: Davey (also Mayo), McCluskey, McNulty
Wexford and Staffordshire: Hayes, McClean
Galway and Staffordshire: Scott
Coventry: Wells, Collins, Palmer, Moody, Beck, Mickelwright, Husbands
Ireland: McNulty (Sligo), Kealy, Murphy (Carlow) Connolly, Gillen, Powell, Ryan, Moore, Martin
Davis from I don't know where originally
Stahl, Russia to England to USA

Offline aspin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • What a Lad What a miss
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 19 July 06 22:38 BST (UK) »
My big mystery is my grt grandfather Adam McKenzie born 1853 ???

On his marriage certificate he is aged 23 he married Isabella Watson 1875
They sail off to New Zealand in 1877 this I have from the death of their baby who died at sea

My grandfather was born in New Zealand 1878 with Adam the name of the father from Helmsdale Scotland .His name appears on the rest of the family all but the last baby Eleanor Isabella Munro McKenzie her mother registers her .1888.
I have paid for a search of Adam in New Zealand without any luck
now paying for a search in Scotland for Adam and his father Alexander shown on Adams  marriage certificate
I keep saying Adam where are you
Isabella returned to England before 1894 when she remarried as a widow
Elizabeth
McKenzie,Helmsdale.,Mackay's,Gordon's,Polsons,Sutherland's,Loth & N/Z .Watson ,Munro,Pitsligo.Black. Harle ,East Hollywell.Black,and Short East Hollywell.Northumberland Gair, Amble,Douglas,Amble,Mitchell ,Fettercairns,Lyall, Brechin .Mearns Brechin.Thompson's ,Spittal. Maghie,Young .Raey Cumberland & Newcastle & Glasgow .Gilroy, Northumberland. Stark's Kyloe & Tweedmouth .Skeen's Tweedmouth.Gregsons Northumberland & America. Andrew Farmer Turnbull Berwick , Pool and Black Hull.Lounton Tweedmouth

Offline Lesanne

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 19 July 06 23:15 BST (UK) »
I'm not far from Bramber, Dimps.  Do you want me to look in the church for anything?
  Have you any connection to Ashurst as there is a couple of West's (1740's) there.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Berks Bucks Oxon= Norris Coxhead Turner Cox Weston Baston Simpson
Kent= Nicholls Mepstead Watts   Mile End=Craze Wood Bennett
Cork=Howe   NZ=Coxhead   Canada=Fenn Cox Turner

Offline PaulaToo

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me 'n Gerry
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 20 July 06 00:07 BST (UK) »
The names behind the notches on Eliza Ann's bedpost, one of them was my Great Grandfather. By this time we are almost certain it was Callas William Webb, but there are other mysteries with THAT WOMAN.
Who was the Henry Moore, carpenter, whose father was Henry Moore, carpenter who married her. He's not mine, but I would like to know who he was, where he came from and where he went to because he came from nowhere and then disappeared............
Even Eliza's Mother is now in on the act. Her brothers and sisters are down good as gold in the IGI...........no trace of Mary Ann Byles of Portsea. There is  a Mary Ann Biles elsewhere, but she is baptised 1813, my Mary Ann would have been about 1806.........

Sometimes I think, 'Why am I doing this?'
A cup of tea and a bar of chocolate later and it's 'You're not beating me!'
Bartlett/Henley on Thames
Caponhurst/Buckinghamshire and?
Denchfield/North Marston/Bucks
Webb/Winchester
Mathias/Pembroke/Pembroke Dock
John/Pembroke/Pembroke Dock
Smith/Portsmouth/Portsea
Purchas/Bucks and?
Olliffe/Bucks

Offline MarieC

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • In Queensland, Oz
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 20 July 06 07:41 BST (UK) »
Paula,

Don't discount that one, it could have been a late baptism!

The brother of one of my gggrandmothers was not baptised until he was 8 - all the other children seem to have been baptised in infancy.  I have no idea why this was delayed.  Other Rootschatters have spoken of this phenomenon too.

You can do a search for all children on the IGI by just putting in the parents' names and it will give you a list of known children.

MarieC
Census information is Crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Martins in London and Wales, Lockwoods in Yorkshire, Hartleys in London, Lichfield and Brighton, Hubands and Smiths in Ireland, Bentleys in London and Yorkshire, Denhams in Somerset, Scoles in London, Meyers in London, Cooks in Northumberland

Offline PaulaToo

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me 'n Gerry
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 20 July 06 09:44 BST (UK) »
Don't I know about late baptisms, MarieC.
Another fast one pulled on me by That Woman, she didn't have her kids baptised until she moved from Portsea to Reading. Then she had the lot christened together changing their names ever so slightly, Walter George becomes William Walter, Eliza Ellen is Eliza Ann, Gran Harriot gets Harriot Charlotte and little Emily who we have only just tracked down because she had a different surname, is Emily Louisa. After all her affairs she has hung on to that precious bit of paper, her wedding certificate which couples her with Henry Moore. She must have waved this under the vicars nose and hoped he didn't remember she had been living in the district as first Mrs Webb(Emily's dad) and then Mrs Challis (still Emily's dad, but reinvented.)
The case for the Byles family with her mother is this. The girl's names Mahala and Thirza. Not common names, but we have Mahala and Thirza Byles, who would have been Eliza's aunties and Mary Ann Byles/Smith keeps the names in her family calling two of her daughters, Eliza's sisters Mahala and Thirza (forget the Matilda and Teresa on the 1841 census, they can't read)
Mary Ann Byles/Smith claims to come from Portsea, which would be right, but I don't trust anything with this family, so I put it down and then move heaven and earth to prove it. That has got to be my Mary Ann, but why was she left out? WHY wasn't she baptised like all the others?
Oooooh, unless of course Mr Byles had his doubts and didn't want to say in church that she was his......
I think the whole lot of them are my mystery, and it's getting bigger not smaller as I add more members :(
Bartlett/Henley on Thames
Caponhurst/Buckinghamshire and?
Denchfield/North Marston/Bucks
Webb/Winchester
Mathias/Pembroke/Pembroke Dock
John/Pembroke/Pembroke Dock
Smith/Portsmouth/Portsea
Purchas/Bucks and?
Olliffe/Bucks

Offline MarieC

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • In Queensland, Oz
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 21 July 06 07:50 BST (UK) »
Mary Ann Byles/Smith claims to come from Portsea, which would be right, but I don't trust anything with this family, so I put it down and then move heaven and earth to prove it. That has got to be my Mary Ann, but why was she left out? WHY wasn't she baptised like all the others?
Oooooh, unless of course Mr Byles had his doubts and didn't want to say in church that she was his......

Well, maybe that's the explanation, Paula!!  Sounds as though she could well be yours.  You really have a classic there and no mistake!

MarieC
Census information is Crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Martins in London and Wales, Lockwoods in Yorkshire, Hartleys in London, Lichfield and Brighton, Hubands and Smiths in Ireland, Bentleys in London and Yorkshire, Denhams in Somerset, Scoles in London, Meyers in London, Cooks in Northumberland

Offline stonechat

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 21 July 06 09:00 BST (UK) »
One of my diffcult mysteries is where did the Varndens come from (mystery no 1)
They arrived in Chertsey Surrey before 1775, already married somewhere else (mystery no 2)
They had 6 children, and died intthe area
The only male child, William, is shown as unmarried, so who is young Eliza seen on the  1841 Census
(mystery no 3)

The original Varndens are William b abt 1758, and Elizabeth ? b abt 1750
I have found odd Varndens near Haslemere in Surrey, in Sussex, and buried in Suffolk
HOwever mine seem to materialise in Chertsey, no marriage records and no baptism records

Bob
Douglas, Varnden, Joy(i)ce Surrey, Clarke Northants/Hunts, Pullen Worcs/Herefords, Holmes Birmingham/USA/Canada/Australia, Jackson Cheshire/Yorkshire, Lomas Cheshire, Lee Yorkshire, Cocks Lancashire, Leah Cheshire, Cook Yorkshire, Catlow Lancashire
See my website http://www.cotswan.com

Offline Simma

• I am sorry but my emails are not working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Saturday 22 July 06 23:28 BST (UK) »
My biggest mystery concerns my great grandmother, born in 1891.

She was unmarried until 1926. She never had an occupation. She lived with her parents until their deaths in 1907 and 1923 respectively, and then moved in with her sister.

However, in a period when illegitimacy was looked upon as shameful she managed to give birth to my grandfather in 1913 and four other children in 1919, 1920, 1922 and 1923. The father(s) of all these children is unknown.

She also had a sixth child with her husband, but both baby and mother died in childbirth in 1929. Sadly, three of her other children also died within a year of being born.

I should add that she was also almost ten years older than her husband.

What confuses me is exactly what was going here - how and unmarried woman could be having children on such a regular basis, particularly with no apparent income and an elderly father to support.

I am, however, beginning to think that pregnancy might have been an occupational hazard, if you see what I mean. If her father was elderly and unable to work, and she had a child to support, I don't think its inconceivable that the World's oldest profession might have been her only option. It might also explain why my grandfather was so secretive about his past and early life.

I do however, feel really awful for suspecting this - I might, after all, have the wrong end of the stick entirely.
Swaine - Barnsley/Leeds, Burton - Brotherton/Castleford/Barnsley, Bingham - Barnsley, Ball - Barnsley, Bassett - Market Harborough/Barnsley, Green - Rawcliffe/Whitwood/Castleford, Collins - Bedminster/Barnsley, Smith - Bedminster, Appleyard - Castleford, Woodward - Barnsley, Dover - Barnsley, Frain - Scotland, Robertson - Scotland, Macaulay - Scotland, Milne - Scotland. Census information is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk