Author Topic: Today at the LDS centre  (Read 872 times)

Offline trish251

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Today at the LDS centre
« on: Friday 29 October 04 08:37 BST (UK) »
Today I went to my local LDS Centre because a film I had ordered (2 months ago) had just arrived. This film was different to any I had viewed before as it was the film of a transcript (from 1901) of the church registers. The disadvantage of this is that any transcription can involve errors, however, the transcriber assured we readers that every entry had been double checked against the original. The advantages included the fact that the manuscript was typed and a lovely lady from Glasgow had created an index for every name in the register (1555-1815) both people and locations.
There were large numbers of my family on the film so I slowly browsed, looking at each page. I noticed that a number of servants were simply described as "Servant of James Princely buried" - interesting if this was an ancestor one was trying to track, plus the usual descriptive comments re children baptised with no father in evidence. Then I got to a page that was illegible - the film or paper had moved & it was completely blurred. I checked the page number against my index and ahhhhhhh - I had 3 references on this page.
Why does this always seem to happen - I had just passed 23 pages without one of my family mentioned - so I shall have to hope that a film of the original or a BT may be available. Meanwhile there are lots of other interesting anecdotes and reports included on the film, so I hope no more illegible pages, when I return next week.

Trish

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Su

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Every time an Angel smiles a flower grows
    • View Profile
Re: Today at the LDS centre
« Reply #1 on: Friday 29 October 04 22:57 BST (UK) »
How B..... annoying Trish.... I have the same problem when doing look-ups on 1841 census.  Some are beatifully written and legible, turn the page and it's like a worn out piece of carbon paper and totally illegible, this can go on for umpteen pages, and I sit here muttering ... I bet the folk I am looking for are on those pages .... It drives me nuts. 

Hope you find who you are looking for eventually.

Su
Barnett Altrincham/Manchester
Bates Hindley Lancs
Bowyer Altrincham Cheshire
Cunliffe Hindley
Hollingworth Hale Barnes/Mobberley Ches
Jones Salford/Altrincham
Ramsdale Hindley Lancs
Timperley Warburton/Dunham Massey
Yarwood Great Budworth,Lymm,Dumham Massey

All Census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright

Offline trish251

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 30 October 04 10:47 BST (UK) »
Hi Su

Its nice to have company! - I guess all those other folks will thank me because it is my family and not theirs on this page. Good luck with the census.

Trish

Offline Fitty

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Rooting through my Roots
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 30 October 04 11:26 BST (UK) »
Hi Trish...i think we're related!   lol 
---------------------------------------                    <br />                    (  @ @  )<br />-----------oOOo-(_)-oOOo---------<br /><br />       Any one seen any BAXENDALES?<br /><br />--------oooO---------------Oooo-------<br />           (    )                    (    )<br />            \\\\  (                      )  /<br />             \\\\_)                    (_/<br /><br />Brighouse:  Smith<br />Lambeth: Clisby<br />Leeds: Baxendale,Baxter, Beales,Bowe

Offline trish251

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 04 November 04 09:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi Fitty

I do hope your side of the family is smarter than mine. Today I returned to continue with my film and discovered 2 pages after my illegible page, it had been REFILMED and was perfectly readable (and I had spent ages trying to decipher the original!) The folks filming obviously realised they may have moved the original. So if I find any more blurred, I shall check further on the film. It is a lovely film. Today I found (among the BDMs)
"King Charles be Headed xxxth Jenuary 1648".

Trish