Author Topic: James & Sarah VENABLES - Cheshunt  (Read 22539 times)

Offline Hollylianne

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: James and Sarah VENABLES Cheshunt
« Reply #9 on: Monday 09 April 07 23:21 BST (UK) »
Heya,
I've just gone through my info and this is what i have:
Brother's George and William Venables....had parents James venables (poss died 1848) and wife Sarah b.c1776 Wadesmill and poss died 1865.  Now, their children were:

Mary Ann Venables c.27.5.1804
George Venables c.17 11 1805 - married Elizabeth Venables
William Venables c.10,1,1808 - Married Charlotte Ballard 17.2.1829
James Venables c.6.5.1810
Sarah c.7.2.1813
Charles c.16.7.1815
Ann c.13.2.1818 - Married James Dyson 1850 (have children)
Johnathan c.27.6.1819
Samuel c.19.10.1823

Regards
Hollie
ramsay - paisley, brock - glasgow, brackenridge - Scotland, thomson-Scotland, richardson- Scotland, mcclure- Scotland, raeside - Scotland, brown - Scotland, borland - Scotland, mckeller - Scotland, caton - essex, Cross - Navestock/Mount Nessing, moseley- london/staffordshire, mcneil, davies, harper, blake, fitzjohn, steer, kennington, venables - cheshunt, ward, cook, pavey

Offline ninkynoo

• RootsChat Senior
  • Black Tar Rivers by HRH Mole in the hole
    • View Profile
Re: James & Sarah VENABLES - Cheshunt
« Reply #10 on: Monday 16 April 07 10:14 BST (UK) »
Hi Hollie and fellow lost souls .
I have spent an evening trying to sort this one out.Venables everywhere and all with similar names.Sat up to the wee small hours and came to the same conclusion as Hollie.George and William must have been the children of James and Sarah.
Cannot find any info on the marriage ,as Sarah came from Wades Mill perhaps the marriage took place there circa 1803.
I have not got the time to get over to Herts RO at the moment and there are no records online for Wades Mill.
What with Brothers marrying sisters ect it is a pickle .
One thing I did find was Charlotte Ballard had a daughter Caroline born 9/10/1825 Cheshunt before she married William Venables b 1808 .Caroline is down on the IGI as Caroline Ballard ,mother Charlotte Ballard ,father Thomas Sapewouth.
Now hers is where it becomes confusing again ,Caroline married a John Aldridge b 1819 Braughin Herts ( I believe but am willing to be corrected ,that Aldridge is a form of Eldridge ).
Off to rest my weary eyes and hope someone who is visiting Herts RO may discover who James and Sarah belong to .
Lin
Pratt ,Burgess,Gladwell  ,Taylor, Forrester ,Layzell ,Watling ,Merryfield Raven Essex
Field ,Warren.Davis, Spickett ,Peppiatt ,Bucks
White born Dorset moved to Hampshire,Shropshire and finally to Essex
Katherine Murphy b1872 
Buggs ,Day ,Stygal,Balls ,Suffolk ,Norfolk ,Hertfordshire
Venables ,Hertfordshire

Offline newbrunswick

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 16 April 07 18:26 BST (UK) »
Hi Lin:  I have been doing exactly as you, and keep going around and around.  I do agree that James and Sarah are the more likely parents of your William and my George.  I also discovered Charlotte's daughter Caroline, some time ago.  I'm no sure if Charlotte was married before William or if Caroline was illegimate.  Each branch of every Venable family seems to have kids of the same name which makes it even harder to research.  Do you have a date of death for William?  I have him living with son Benjamin & Elizabeth in 1881 at Pan Tile Hall.  Also, you may have noticed a grandchild, William Hills b. 1854 living with William & Charlotte in 1861.  This would be the son of a married daughter (I assume) - perhaps Jane.  I haven't really got that far yet.  Anyway, thanks for getting in touch.  I'll keep on digging at this end.
Shireditch, Hertsfordshire: Ettridge, Farrin, Adams, Venables
Jackson, Burgess,
Birmingham, & Sedgely, Staffordshire: Hill, Farmer, Devey

Offline ninkynoo

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 16 April 07 21:35 BST (UK) »
If we keep digging at this rate we should meet up 5.000 feet under the Atlantic ....do either of you need the siblings of Charlotte and Elizabeth Ballard ??.
Oh I wish the Cheshunt PR's were on disc ...I'd be first in the queue.
My Grandson and me were looking at Elizabeth and George and thier children today and decided Elizabeth must have been an amazing woman.
Pratt ,Burgess,Gladwell  ,Taylor, Forrester ,Layzell ,Watling ,Merryfield Raven Essex
Katherine Murphy b1872 
Venables ,Hertfordshire

Offline newbrunswick

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 16 April 07 22:37 BST (UK) »
Hi Lin:  I would love to have George and William's children to compare with what I have.  Also any other children you may have floating around.  You're right about Elizabeth having a tough life.  She was left a widow with a huge family at a very early age.  I have also found her with 2 grand daughters - Ellen and Emily - aged 1 and 2, in 1851, but they disappear after that.  As they were Venables, they must have been the children of one of the sons, and what happened to them after this is a mystery.  I'm still looking, but not finding.  Of course, her son David, I know about, since he is my direct ancestor.  I even have his picture, if you're interested.  Well, back at it.  Nice to know that I'm not the only one pulling out my hair.....Anne
Jackson, Burgess,

Offline ninkynoo

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 17 April 07 09:26 BST (UK) »
Hi Anne and Hollie
William Ballard and Mary's children that I have found are:
John 1790 Cheshunt
Anne bp3/2/1792
Charlotte
Elizabeth
James bp9/9/1798 Cheshunt
Thomas bp 13/9/1801 Cheshunt

Have looked for a marriage for them and the nearest one in the time frame is in Epping ,but as it is only a brain storm I have not put that in my tree.I also have a sneaky feeling that James parents were James Venables and Jane Mold married 1/9/1783 but again it is speculation.There is a tree on ancestry but the facts do not add up properly on it and as it was put on there in 2004 I think some of it could be wrong ,so I really don't know any further.

William and Charlottes children you probably have but ,hey what the heck ,I expect someone else may need them at some stage , are:
Jane bp 20/2/1831
Emma BP 1/2/1835
Charles bp 7/7/1837
Harriet(t) bp23/10/1842
Benjamin bp 17/5/1840
Jonathon bp 3/8/1843
All born Cheshunt

Strange thing is ,William and George married two sisters , then William and Harrietts two children went on to marry a brother and sister from the Watling family ,I expect they liked to keep it in the family.

I would love to see a picture of David as I knew nothing about the Venables until last year.I do have a photo of William and Harriets son William Buggs born 1863 and his wife Eliza Ann Watling.

Have you found Frances Venables b 1858 ? (daughter of David b1828)so far I have found 13 children with the possibility of a couple more ,she married William John Adams. Crikey and I complain about the one child I have left at home.

Keep going with the hair restorer and if you have any left over ,I could do with some too.
Lin
Katherine Murphy b1872 
Venables ,Hertfordshire

Offline newbrunswick

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 17 April 07 19:16 BST (UK) »
Hi again Lin:  Thanks for the info.  It corresponds with mine excepting Charles b. 1838 that I have listed as a son of William and Charlotte.  I know that this sounds stupid, but........who are William and Mary?  Is there a connection here?  James (according to the census) was born in 1781.  If this is correct, then that elimates James Venables and Jane Mold, married 1783, but I guess, not entirely.  It has happened.
Frances Venables (my great grandmother) had 15 children- 1 died at a year old.  All but 1 (David) immigrated to Canada, scattering all over the country.  Some remained in the Newbrunswick region.  There are many descendents.  My maiden name was Adams.
Hollie is connected to me through Richard Venables who married Sally Burgess who was the sister to my great grandmother on my grandmother's side.  Get that! A double connection.  And you think you're confused.  I did have your email address, but can't locate it, so will try to attach photo of David and Sarah Ettridge.  Sorry, my intentions were good, but I can't figure it out.  I'll try and find your address.  If you don't get it, you'll know I didn't find it.  My desk is in shambles.
Jackson, Burgess,

Offline ninkynoo

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 17 April 07 20:37 BST (UK) »
Hi Anne
William and Mary were Ballards ,parents of Elizabeth and Charlotte.
The 1841(James b1781) census rounds ages to the nearest 5  so there could vaguely be a link.
I'll send you a PM with my e mail address.
I did see William Hills a while ago and  found out some details but ,like you I do not have a filing system ,just a heap of paper that will get sorted soon.
I have Burgess in my family tree but mine are all from the Tendring Peninsular (NE Essex).
Lin
Katherine Murphy b1872 
Venables ,Hertfordshire

Offline SamiW

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 17 April 07 21:23 BST (UK) »
Sorry to interupt, but are you sure it is BALLARD?  I am tracing a BULLARD family also from Cheshunt, and was wondering if a transcription somewhere could have gone astray.  (Not that I've got very far back with it yet.  Just curious though.)
Best
Sami
Wilkie - Aberdeenshire;  Singer - Aberdeenshire; Counsell - India; Pike -  Bucks., Leics.; Cock - Devon (St. Giles in the Wood); Gay - Somerset; Tucker - London; Newman - London