Author Topic: Ancestral brushes with the rich or famous  (Read 31056 times)

Offline chinakay

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Our housegoof
    • View Profile
Re: Ancestral brushes with the rich or famous
« Reply #81 on: Saturday 07 January 12 23:31 GMT (UK) »
Rabbit! We're cousins!  ;D
Moore/Paterson~Montreal
Moore/Addison~New Brunswick
Jubb/Kerr~Mirfield~Halifax~Moffatt
Williams~Dolwyddelan

King~Bedfordshire~Hull
Jenkins~Somerset
Sellers~Hull

Offline Rabbit B

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1937 - 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: Sunday 08 January 12 00:18 GMT (UK) »
Rabbit! We're cousins!  ;D
How lovely! thanks Cuz, Happy New Year,  I confess that I had not thought of that
Brilliant that had made my day!!! 8)

I forgot to mention that OH Cuz is married to a descendant of the Mutiny on the Bounty Rebels,  that my other Cuz married a descendant of Robert Devereux  favourite of Elizabeth 1.

Oh by the way I met the Queen Mother & the King during the war, at Windsor Castle.  very beautiful she was too in those days

Rabbit B  ;D
Conning/London
Wareham/Winchester
Hart/Cambridgeshire
Burns/Byrne/Liverpool and Ireland
Nibbs/London
Brealey/Staffordshire
Melbourn/Melbourne/Cambridgeshire
Hoyle/Liverpool
Relf/Sussex

Offline Kaybron

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: Sunday 08 January 12 01:51 GMT (UK) »
My husband's great grandfather had a close friendship with Lord Gowrie, the Governor of South Australia and later the Governor General of Australia.  Lord Gowrie and great grandfather used to go fishing together when they were young boys in Pencaitland, Scotland.  Great grandfather Ritchie emigrated to Australia, settling in Renmark.  Nearly 50 years later, Lord Gowrie was on an official visit to Renmark and ggRitchie met up with him.  Lord Gowrie kept in contact with ggRitchie and made a point of having afternoon tea with his old friend whenever he made visits to the area.

When my husband's mother was aged about 10 years (1940), she along with her sister, wrote a letter to Lady Gowrie asking her if she would pass on to Princess Elizabeth and Princess Margaret letters that they had written.   We have a reply from Lady Gowrie saying that she would but the princesses were very busy and may not have time to reply.   The princess did in fact reply, sending postcards back.  One was blank and the other did have writing on the back from Princess Elizabeth.  My husband's mother treasured this postcard and had this in her possession up until the time she went into a nursing home 3 years ago.  Unfortunately one of her sons was going through some of her personal papers and came across the postcard and not knowing what this was put it through the shredder.

Luckily we have the signed letter from Lady Gowrie, the blank postcard (a picture of a very young Princess Margaret on the front), telegrams from Lord Gowrie sent on the death of g grandmother and g grandfather Ritchie, and also copies of a number of newspaper articles from the local paper that give details of Lord and Lady Gowrie's friendship with our ancestor.

Kaybron

Offline snaptoo

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Member
  • Mum & Dad on their wedding day 10th October 1941.
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: Tuesday 10 January 12 17:46 GMT (UK) »
Following the recent George V/Queen Mary programmes on the Beeb, we did a bit of digging here and came up with this pic of my paternal grandfather shaking hands with Queen Mary at Malmesbury Abbey in 1926!
RIP Sept 1948-Dec 2016
Deane - Gloucester
Deane - Weston super mare area