Author Topic: Finding Gunner Collingbourne  (Read 3247 times)

Offline sarahjane412

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Finding Gunner Collingbourne
« on: Friday 21 July 06 19:45 BST (UK) »
This week I headed off to Coventry (visiting family, well mostly…or partly, at least) to hunt down some of my dad’s side of the family, particularly to find out a bit about Herbert Charles Collingbourne (1st cousin 2ce removed) whose death I had found on the CWGC site...died ‘of wounds’ (!)  Wandering round London Road cemetery (after about 45minutes, with my dad slowly losing patience, he likes more immediate results I suspect!)  I found:

SARAH JANE
Beloved wife of D C Collingbourne
Died Nov 10th 1898 Aged 30
Also of Doris
Dearly beloved daughter of the above
Died April 7th 1917  Aged 18 years
Deeply mourned

[Left side]
Also David Charles

[Right Side]
Also of Gunner Herbert C Collingbourne (Bert) No 360 Warks RHA
Their only son, died of wounds received in Action, Interred at St Omer, France Jan 4, 1916 aged 23 years
Also Reggie who died in infancy.

Reggie died in 1895 aged only 11 months and his mother Sarah Jane died in the same quarter of 1898 as Doris was born, and though I have not yet been able to afford the certificate I suspect she died in (or as a result of complications of) childbirth.   Then David has to suffer his son dying in war and Doris just a year later.

So off to the library to look through the news of the time…

The Coventry Herald
January 7th & 8th 1916

WARWICKSHIRE R.H.A. UNDER FIRE.
COVENTRY MEN AMONG THE FIRST CASUALTIES

The remarkable immunity from casualties experienced by the Coventry section of the Warwickshire R.H.A. during the fourteen months they have been in France has been broken at last as the result of a recent bombardment, when several Coventry men were injured by the bursting of a high explosive shell.  The incident occurred at the beginning of last week when, in consequence of a German bombardment, the men sought safety in an old cellar protested by sandbags.  One of the enemy shells forced its way through the structure and played havoc among the men.  The son of Mr. Chattaway, architect of this city, was among the most seriously injured, and has been visited in hospital in France by his father.  Latest reports state that a successful operation has been performed.  Gunner Croydon, son of Richard Croydon, has been brought back to Colchester Hospital, while others injured who are well known locally are: Collingbourne, Short, Traherne (Chapel Fields), Reg. Fletcher (son of Mr. C. H. Fletcher).  Except in the case of Chattaway, the official notifications of injury have not been received.
The battery, it will be remembered, was the first Territorial Regiment to go to France, arriving there on Nov. 1, 1914.   They claim to have been more in action than any other battery, and have been complimented on their splendid work by General French.
Another account of the disastrous bombardment referred to is given in a letter from Gunner Croydon, who, in writing home says:- “ We all went down a cellar for safety, because they were shelling us and as soon as we got down there one of the (5.9) came in and burst.  The result was bricks and bits of shrapnel were flying all over the place.  About six of us got hurt – Fletcher, Short, Wiliday, Collingbourne, Barklett, and myself.  I believe Chattaway was hit, but I don’t know.  “Spot” (Phillips) was not there at all , so was not hurt, thank God!  I was the only one able to stand, so got out and went for help.  I believe I am on my way for England but don’t know.  I must look funny.  I was hit in the face and you can only see one eye and enough of my mouth to put a ‘fag’ in.  The nurses are very good to me, and the doctor, a Leamington man (Dr. Gibbons Ward, Medical Officer of Health for Leamington) is one of the best.  I am on a barge on a canal on the way to the coast.  Chattaway, it is believed, is seriously hurt.”

My first feelings, apart from ‘that’s MY Herbert Charles Collingbourne he’s talking about’  was the awful euphemism of the phrase ‘played havoc’ and a gentle, almost tearful, smile that Gunner Croydon was making light of the injuries to his face to spare his family. 

I scrolled a few pages on and there I found 4  pictures with the title ‘Coventry Men Concerrned in this Week’s News’ .  I could hardly move when I saw the picture below (hope the picture works! if not I'll stick it on my profile..at least I can work that out!)

Off I rush to swap to a film reader that you can print from (and ready to have a stand up fight if there wasn’t one free).  Thankfully the library staff are very clearly used to this kind of thing and didn’t even hesitate at my nervous (borderline incoherent)  insistence that I NEEDED to print something!

I know you have probably all had this kind of experience and I am more than happy to imagine I’m posting this for the decendents of Fletcher, Short, Wiliday, Collingbourne, Barklett, Chattaway, Traherne, Croydon and Phillips, in case they are looking, but really I suspect it is just to remember Bert. 

Can you miss someone who died 50 years before you were born?

Sorry for the ridiculously long post but something touched me across the years and I wanted to share it.

Best wishes

Sarah

Coventry - BROWN, COLLINGBOURNE, SPENCER
Lancashire - NICHOLAS, JACKSON, HARRISON
Isle of Man - SAYLE, COWLEY
Durham - ANDERSON, HINDSON, LEIGHTELL, ROBINSON, ROBSON, STEWART
Yorkshire - MILNES, FIRTH, HUDSON

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline wotty

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Finding Gunner Collingbourne
« Reply #1 on: Friday 21 July 06 20:28 BST (UK) »
What an amazing result!

I can imagine how you feel. I found a picture of my great uncle Herbert who was killed in France in 1917 - 40+ years before I was born. I would have been overwhelmed to have as much information as you have found.

Well done!

Wotty.
Meehan - Co Durham, Ireland, USA and Canada
Hopps -  Co Durham and N. Yks
Ward, Mortimer, Littleboy - Norfolk
Angus -  Co Durham
Pyle -  Co Durham and Northumberland
Rowntree -  N Yks and Co Durham
Ridley - Co Durham
Kelly -  Co Durham and Ireland

Offline suey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • The light is on but there's no-one at home!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 21 July 06 21:10 BST (UK) »

Sarah, I do hope that all the men whose names you mention know, even if it is only for a few moments while we read your words, that they are not forgotten.

And thats the wonderful thing about Rootschat you can share your findings and know that everyone who looks in will be just as pleased as you are  :D

Thank you for sharing
Suey
All census lookups are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Sussex - Knapp. Nailard. Potten. Coleman. Pomfrey. Carter. Picknell
Greenwich/Woolwich. - Clowting. Davis. Kitts. Ferguson. Lowther. Carvalho. Pressman. Redknap. Argent.
Hertfordshire - Sturgeon. Bird. Rule. Claxton. Taylor. Braggins

Offline sarahjane412

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 21 July 06 21:36 BST (UK) »
Thanks for replying Wotty and Suey

I really wasn't expecting to find anything more than a simple death notice in the newspaper - especially considering how many died during those terrible years.  I was already at 'overwhelmed' when I found the grave with all that information. I'd only guessed that the infant death for a Reginald Harry (Reggie as it turns out) I had found was closely related (my Grandfather was Norman Harry and his brother Reginald Arthur so it seemed obvious?!)

Seeing the picture of Bert (not Herbert as I had previously thought of him) which, presumably, must have been taken when he enlisted (at 21ish) really took my breath away.  Everything suddenly seemed too quiet (even for a library!) and even when I got back to my parents house I found that I couldn't express what it felt like. It's wonderful to be able to tell people who already *know* what it means.

Best wishes

Sarah

Offline david62

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 29 November 10 12:48 GMT (UK) »
My Grandmother on my fathers side was Irene Collingbourne who was Berts sister!
You may not know but there is a tree dedicated to him in the Memorial Park in Coventry
I also think my father may have some pictures of him landing in France if you are interested?

Offline sarahjane412

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 29 November 10 18:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi there somethingth cousin something removed!

I did know about the tree - in fact I sent my dad hunting round the park for it and went to see it last Christmas when I was visiting.

My great grandmother Harriet Annie Rubery was staying her brother David Charles Collingbourne along with Bert, Irene and Doris (and grandma Mary Ann) in 1911. Harriet Annie's husband had just died the year before.

I would love to see some more pictures of Bert.  Do you have scans you could email me?  I will send you a personal message with my email address if that is possible.

I have developed quite a soft spot for Bert and was very surprised to find out that we actually even went to the same school in Coventry!  I had stood in front of the memorial list with his name on every day for assembly and never knew I was related to anyone on that list!

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 29 November 10 20:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi David62  and Sarahjane412

David62 needs to apparently make 3 posts before being able to use the personal message (PM) system.
Simply replying here 2 more times to say 'Hello' or something similar would suffice.

Polarbear
We search for information but it is up to the thread owner to verify that it is correct.

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline david62

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 30 November 10 12:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

i will try and get some pictures & i know my father has some other things you may be interested in.
i do know that we have a picture of Berts actual grave at St Omar in France
you will also be please to know that my father had his marker stone in the park restored recently.
when you are next there i will try and give you directions to find it

Offline david62

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 30 November 10 12:57 GMT (UK) »
Ps. Hello

Thanks Polar Bear!