Author Topic: Help - postings??  (Read 1076 times)

Offline newbie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Help - postings??
« on: Friday 29 October 04 16:49 BST (UK) »
Help,
I want to reply to pm that Carolann sent me, but as it is a look up I have done for her I would like to post it on the board not as a pm, problem - it's quite lengthy, its a newspaper report from 1909 - wasn't able to print the image from the film, so had to hand write it, will the board accept lengthy postings if I type it in?
or should i type it in word and then paste? it will still be fairly long though, it took me 1hr and a bit to write it up.
sitting waiting for reply,  ;D
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline peterbennett

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Samuel if ever an Ag Lab looked like one it was he
    • View Profile
Re: Help - postings??
« Reply #1 on: Friday 29 October 04 17:18 BST (UK) »
Hi Newbie
                 The limit on attachments is 300 kb so you may need to split it into several post if you decide to scan and attach it, there is also a limit of 5500 characters I believe if you cut and paste it from a word doc. so again you may need split it.

peterbennett
All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright<br />www.NationalArchives.gov.uk <br />Cheshire BMD  www.cheshirebmd.org.uk/ <br />Cheshire Wills database http://www.cheshire.gov.uk/recordoffice/wills/Search.htm<br />Cheshire family history society  www.fhsc.org.uk/<br />Cheshire Records Office http://www.cheshire.gov.uk/Recordoffice/aboutus/recoffcontact.tm<br /><br />--------------------------------------------------------------------<br />Bennett/,Whaley,Chesh/Lancs, Brindley Staffs

Offline newbie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 29 October 04 17:19 BST (UK) »
Hi Peter,
thanks for the help, what if I just type the whole thing in? is there a size limit on that?

Offline peterbennett

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Samuel if ever an Ag Lab looked like one it was he
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 29 October 04 17:27 BST (UK) »
Hi
    Yes it the same I believe 5500 characters, I know because sometime ago I spent an whole afternoon typing in a lengthy post only to loose it all when it was rejected  >:( >:(

peterbennett
All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright<br />www.NationalArchives.gov.uk <br />Cheshire BMD  www.cheshirebmd.org.uk/ <br />Cheshire Wills database http://www.cheshire.gov.uk/recordoffice/wills/Search.htm<br />Cheshire family history society  www.fhsc.org.uk/<br />Cheshire Records Office http://www.cheshire.gov.uk/Recordoffice/aboutus/recoffcontact.tm<br /><br />--------------------------------------------------------------------<br />Bennett/,Whaley,Chesh/Lancs, Brindley Staffs

Offline Ticker

• User is no longer receiving email notifications.
  • RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Follow me on twitter @ShaunTymon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 29 October 04 17:28 BST (UK) »
Hi Newbie

If you can type it in direct you shouldn't have any problem.

If I were you though I would type it in Word so I had a permanent copy and then just cut and paste into a posting rather than attaching it.  This will also allow you to split it if its over the character limit.  If this doesn't make sense please come back to me.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline newbie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 29 October 04 17:31 BST (UK) »
Peter, thanks for the help and advice will type it into word then!
Ticker, yes that sounds a good idea will cut and paste if it will let me or do as Peter said maybe in several chunks, or as an attachment if not too big.
Thanks for the help,
Newbie :)

Offline trystan

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 30 October 04 01:10 BST (UK) »
You may find also that the message will "time out" in five minutes if you're not careful, so yes it is a good idea to write it in something else first then "paste" it into a new message.  ;)
Send RootsChat a postcard:
RootsChat.com, Europa House, Barcroft Street, Bury, Lancashire, BL9 5BT
Admin Tip: Forgotten your Username or Password and would like to reply to one of these messages?  CLICK HERE to get a reminder.
AOL Users: You may need to 'cut and paste' any links you get in emails for them to work.