Author Topic: Spooky Gravestone Markings  (Read 39289 times)

Offline maggiefishblue

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Spooky Gravestone Markings
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 23 July 06 11:40 BST (UK) »
Hi,

There is a gravestone with skull and crossbones at Hinckley, Leics. - I was told it signified a victim of the plague.  There only seems to be one like it in the graveyard - and that seems unlikely that if there was an outbreak of the plague only one person would fall victim.  If it was only one victim - unlucky or what  :'(

As a child, I liked to imagine it was a pirate's gravestone - although Hinckley is approximately 100 miles from the sea  ::)

Maggie

PS I've enjoyed reading the info on this thread and agree entirely with Andrew about the need to preserve gravestones.
I am researching: <br />~ Gamble, Hincks, Grewcock, Grant, Leeson, Wright - Leicestershire/Warwickshire<br />~ Bywater - Warwickshire, Cheshire, Staffordshire<br />~ Crisp, Smith, Dowdeswell, Griffin, Stayt/Stait/Staite, Carpenter, Blizzard/Blissard - Gloucestershire<br />~ Bladder, Carter - Worcestershire

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 23 July 06 12:12 BST (UK) »
Maggie, the ones I saw are unlikely to be plague victims are they are much later than the plague.

Seems according to the link that it was just images with meanings and in this case - death.

Oh well!

Kerry
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Searching for my family - Baldwin - Sussex, Middlesex, Cork, Pilbeam - Sussex, Harmer - Sussex, Terry - Surrey, Kent, Rhoades - Lincs, Roffey - Surrey, Traies - Devon & Middlesex & many many more to be found on my website ....

Offline Kevwood

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • my little man
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 23 July 06 20:43 BST (UK) »
Hi, if you click the link i posted on page 1 of this thread it will tell you.

By the way Maggie i live in Hinckley, wheres the gravestone? Is it Ashby Rd?
I can get a photo.

Kev. ;D
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

wood,west,williams,morgan,sollars,hawker,snell,roach,clark,symons. In bristol,fremington,instow,rhymney,colyton

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 23 July 06 22:11 BST (UK) »
Kev

Yes I saw your link, thank you.  Got me thinking actually.  I have  a chap in my family tree, Jonathan Harmer who is known, by some, in these parts for creating terracotta baises that were stuck onto gravestones round Sussex
http://baldwin.rootschat.net/html/gravestones.html

and I am now wondering whether he chose his designs, not randomly but by choice.  Most of the ones I have seen were urns of fruit and flowers but some had cherubs too.

Hmm

Kerry
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Searching for my family - Baldwin - Sussex, Middlesex, Cork, Pilbeam - Sussex, Harmer - Sussex, Terry - Surrey, Kent, Rhoades - Lincs, Roffey - Surrey, Traies - Devon & Middlesex & many many more to be found on my website ....

Offline maggiefishblue

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 26 July 06 10:15 BST (UK) »
Hi Kev,

The grave I'm thinking of is in St Mary's Churchyard - as far as I can remember (and my memory is shaky at the best of times  ::)) it is along the side of the actual church  -  to the left (as you enter the church) of the main door.

Maggie  :)
I am researching: <br />~ Gamble, Hincks, Grewcock, Grant, Leeson, Wright - Leicestershire/Warwickshire<br />~ Bywater - Warwickshire, Cheshire, Staffordshire<br />~ Crisp, Smith, Dowdeswell, Griffin, Stayt/Stait/Staite, Carpenter, Blizzard/Blissard - Gloucestershire<br />~ Bladder, Carter - Worcestershire

Offline westiesmith

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 04 March 07 23:36 GMT (UK) »
Here's a photo my daughter took in a churchyard in Dumfries while on holiday last year. Apparently quite a lot of the gravestones had these skulls on the back.
Thorpe - Burley, Leeds; Misterton, Notts; Hucknall, Notts; Gainsbro <br />Chapman - Wetheringsett, Suffolk;<br />Redmond - Rotherham?<br />Whitham - Rotherham<br />Knighton - Ilkeston, Derby
Smith, McKune, Rae - Kirkcudbrightshire

Offline MJDickson

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 06 March 07 04:25 GMT (UK) »
There quite a few of these in Peebles (Scotland) cemetery. They scared the living daylights out of me as a child, and I would not want to go to that part of the churchyard!
Borders:Brown, Walls, Harrower, Allan, Scrimagour, , Cochrane, Turnbull, Seymour, Renton, Scott, Beattie.  Ribchester:King, Eastham. 
USA: Meserve, Bumford

Offline Andi R

• RootsChat Veteran
  • "Neither by chance nor fate"
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 06 March 07 20:32 GMT (UK) »
Co Durham_and_Roxburgh_Rutherford
Hampshire_Nichols
Durham_Wilkinson
Roxburgh_Burns_Pringle
Northumberland/Durham_Thompson_Rutherford
Cumberland_Nichols_(Holliday_Jackson-Flimby_area)
Whitehaven_Swainson
Whitehaven_Dobbins_Nulty

Offline apanderson

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 07 March 07 09:57 GMT (UK) »
Here's a wee collage of some of my favourite gravestones . . . .