Author Topic: The Retreat, Mere  (Read 9488 times)

Offline markoffen

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: The Retreat, Mere
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 20 January 07 16:50 GMT (UK) »
Good day Margaret,

I will take the pages to work and scan them it.  It may take a few days or so to get them all scanned.  Check back every now and again.  I will let you know in the body of the message when the last page has been sent.

Best Regards
Mark

MODERATOR COMMENT: Details have been removed for security reasons. Please use the secure PM (Private Message) System to share details of an account name and password. Thankyou. To do this just click on the little green scroll under Margaret's user name to the left of her post and you can pass information which will only be seen by her.

PS We are RootsChat -We have no association to the other organisation  ;)

I will take the pages to work and scan them it.  It may take a few days or so to get them all scanned.  Check back every now and again.  I will let you know in the body of the message when the last page has been sent.

Best Regards
Mark

Offline Denisetred

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 16 February 18 22:20 GMT (UK) »
I've just ordered my father's birth certificate hoping that his father would be shown on it.
It shows he was born at the Retreat in Mere.  He was born in June 1925.  I was always told that his father was a bigamist but it would appear that this was a place for unmarried mothers to have their babies.  If anyone has any information then I would be interested to hear about it.  Thank you

Offline laurimar

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 18 February 18 11:46 GMT (UK) »
Yes you are right this was a home for unmarried mother open from 1916 to 1927 and took in about 300 girls.

They were a great home and helped the girls look after their babies and in some cases help them track down the father to help with the upkeep of the child.

I have extensive information on the home and the owners Alice and Francis Rutter, Quakers and well thought of in Mere.

I would be happy to help you if you need further information

Regards

Margaret

Offline Emmie1942

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 01 October 18 16:25 BST (UK) »
Yes you are right this was a home for unmarried mother open from 1916 to 1927 and took in about 300 girls.

They were a great home and helped the girls look after their babies and in some cases help them track down the father to help with the upkeep of the child.

I have extensive information on the home and the owners Alice and Francis Rutter, Quakers and well thought of in Mere.

I would be happy to help you if you need further information

Regards

Margaret

Margaret, I am researching for a novel, and am interested in what would've happened to unmarried mothers in Mere once The Retreat closed? Was there any other similar provision in Mere (particularly in the war years)? Many thanks.

Offline Robert041252

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 30 August 20 11:35 BST (UK) »
On April 23, 1925 Michael Dennis Palmer, my father was born in the Retreat in Mere. His mother's name is Frances Kate Palmer. A father's name was not entered on the birth certificate.
In 1928 Michael Dennis was adopted by a Dutch family. Could there by any information on between birth and adoption of Michel Dennis Palmer and his adoption in 1928? Also more information of his mother Frances Kate Palmer (she was born march 1903 in Coxley Wells.

Many thanks
Robert Palmer
Kudelstaart
the Netherlands