Author Topic: Sharkey/Healy/Callaghan/Corcoran, Tibohine Area  (Read 9237 times)

Offline ev2210

• I am sorry but my emails are not working at the moment
  • RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Sharkey/Healy/Callaghan/Corcoran, Tibohine Area
« on: Tuesday 25 July 06 18:16 BST (UK) »
Looking for information on the above families.  My Grandmother was Ellen  Callaghan of Tibohine, married Dominick Sharkey of Cloonfad.  Dominick was the son of Dominick Sharkey and Mary Healy.  Elln is the daughter of Thady Callaghan and Bridget Corcoran.  I have a good bit of information on the Sharkeys and some on the Callaghans and Corcorans but none on the Healys.    Would love to hear from you if you think we may have a connection.   My mother was Margaret Catherine (Peg) Sharkey bd 1921, of Cloonfad, went to school in Farymount.

Offline widerfeet

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Sharkey/Healy/Callaghan/Corcoran, Tibohine Area
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 22 August 06 20:45 BST (UK) »
Hello Eve2210

I know Cloonfad very well. Myself and my 2 brothers, sister and mum visited nearly every sunmmer to SAVE THE HAY AND TURF. Dad joined us for the last two weeks.
 We stayed with our mum`s brother Pat Sharkey.  Unfortunately Pat and his wife have both died and their sons now live in America.
I wish you luck in your journey

Regards

Martin.

Offline ev2210

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 22 August 06 22:02 BST (UK) »
Hi Martin.

I assume we must related in some distant way!!!!!   Do you live in Ireland, I live in British Columbia, Canada.    I am  related to the Sahrkeys through my Mum, who was Margaret Catherine Sharkey, (Peg or Baby) as she was known.   She was daughter of Dominick and Ellen who lived in Cloonfad.  I spent many vacations in Cloonfad as a child.

Offline widerfeet

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 23 August 06 08:08 BST (UK) »
Hi (Eve I presume)

No I live in England.
We visited Cloonfad most years as a family for six weeks in the summer and stayed with our uncle Pat up to about 1974 ish. Our mum's name is Bridget Agnes Sharkey. She had 3 brothers and a sister. If you can remember the layout of the village starting from the WELL 1st house on left was owned by Pat and Dote (noy sure of spelling). then Martinus, then Our Uncle Pat's.
I have lots of happy memories No running water Mass every Sunday at Tibohine at least we had an ice cream most weeks from the shop opposite the church.
I have to go to work now hopefully we can work out if we visited at the same time.

Regards

Martin.

Offline ev2210

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 23 August 06 17:55 BST (UK) »
Hi Martin.
I would have been visiting my grandparents in the 50s and 60s mostly.  My Gramma Sharkey died in the early 60s and Granpa Sharkey went to live in Loughlyn, with my Uncle Paddy and then up to Fairymount with my Aunt Evelyn (Gilligan).  The house is fallen now, I was back once about 10 years ago.  I was in the village and met one of my Callaghan relatives Com, I think he is the only one left now. 
I have lived in Canada since 1969, so don't have the oppurtunity to get to Ireland often.  Pete, my husband and I, did go on a tour acouple of years ago, it was an organised tour so we didn't get to Roscommon, mostly Killarney, Galway and Dublin.

Where abouts in England do you live, most of my relatives are in the Manchester and Cheshire area.  Regards Evelyn

Offline widerfeet

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 23 August 06 20:19 BST (UK) »
Hi Evelyn

I did visit from 1958 I can not remember a lot until 1966 I listened to England win the world cup on a radio on the Bog, ( and it was raining) so we may have met. Which house did you stay in?
I live near London but support Man Utd (watching them at the moment) I try and go to watch them at least once a year. I want to visit the village and take my wife to show/ re live my memories in the next few years. (My mum's sister married and moved to fairymount.)
Was your relative Com The local milk collector who used to take the milk to the skim factory?

I hope you hear from other friends/relatives.

If I amble across other long lost friends I will forward details to you.

Regards
Martin

Offline ev2210

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 23 August 06 20:46 BST (UK) »
Martin.
You mentioned the magic word, Man Utd.  that's my husbands favorite team, he has followed them since childhood, he used to live in Manchester, close to City's grounds but always followed United.  Still does, trys to catch a match if its televised here.

I don't know if Com delivered milk.   The house wasn't in the village, it was out on a road, not sure now where, we used to walk to Tibohine church to mass.

Your Mums sister would probably know all my relatives, the Gilligans in Fairymount and the Sampeys in Buck Hill, my Mums sister married a Sampey, shes the only one left of all the Sharkeys from  my Mums family.  Mum died last March, she married an English man, my Dad was from Cheshire, Altrincham area.

I have great memories of Cloonfad, such happy days, everything was far less complicated then.  One of these days I will get back and see the old place, well whats left of it.  I will be 60 next year,  so need to get on with all my visiting plans.  We have 4 grown children and 7 grandchildren that keep us busy, we retired to a small ranch 4 years ago, have a few horses and even a donkey, reminds me of the old times with the donkey and cart, my Granpa going of to Ballaghedereen on it, we used to love it.  Do you remember the hay making, I was always  getting under everyones feet trying to help.
Regards Evelyn

Offline JSharkey

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 16 February 07 15:01 GMT (UK) »
My great-grandparents' youngest daughter was named Margaret Catherine. She was born in 1891 in Elizabeth, NJ. Her parents were Bernard & Elizabeth (nee Higgins) who came to the US in 1870. I'm wondering if there might be some connection here as well?

Offline ev2210

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 16 February 07 16:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi  John.
I am sure we are in some way related.   I have Higgins in my family tree as well as Sharkeys.   Not familier with what happened to the US Higgins or Sharkeys.   My Mums, Dad, Dominick Sharkey of Roscommon, was in the US, New York, New Jersey, in the 20s, he had family living in the area and worked for a time.