Author Topic: Jordon & Cook  (Read 7607 times)

Offline binge

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Jordon & Cook
« on: Tuesday 25 July 06 20:24 BST (UK) »
This query is NOT about the current Jordon & Cook (estate agents)
but about the origin of the Jordon & Cook (furnishers etc) that were bought out by Bentalls Of Worthing (now Beales). Who were the original owners of the business, which was probably founded pre 1900.

James feest

Offline MJP

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Great-grandfather Private Arthur Henry Prior
    • View Profile
Re: Jordon & Cook
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 25 July 06 21:18 BST (UK) »
Hi James,

All I can find is a Jordon & Co. of Worthing: house furnishers, auctioneers, carpenters and undertakers (quite the business!).  Using the directories at www.historicaldirectories.org, it looks like it started with Patching & Jordan, 1 Chapel Rd. Worthing (1881), then Jordan started up with Jordan & Grey, 37 South St., by 1890, becoming Jordan & Co. 35-37 South St by 1905. (same address as current Beales store)

(Could 1 chapel rd and 35-37 south street be actually the same premises?  It looks like Chapel rd changes name to south street at Warwick St. - could have been just a name/number change for the building?)

I can see a likely for Mr. Patching in the 1881 census - Edward C. Patching, Builder and Auctioneer employing 30 men and 5 boys, living in Liverpool Gardens, Worthing (right behind South St and Chapel Rd.).  But I can find no likely candidate for Mr. Jordan in any census 1881-1891-1901! Perhaps others will have better eyes?

MJP
Information given in census transcriptions is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Eagle (Yorkshire), Prior (Berkshire), Buckland (Nottinghamshire),
Short (Devon), Sinclair (Caithness, Scotland), Patterson (Co. Tyrone, Ireland)

Offline MJP

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Great-grandfather Private Arthur Henry Prior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 25 July 06 21:18 BST (UK) »
Coincidently, the directories indicate that Jordan & Co. also provided estate agent services... ;D
Information given in census transcriptions is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Eagle (Yorkshire), Prior (Berkshire), Buckland (Nottinghamshire),
Short (Devon), Sinclair (Caithness, Scotland), Patterson (Co. Tyrone, Ireland)

Offline AMBLY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 25 July 06 21:24 BST (UK) »
Hi James

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Reference_desk/Miscellaneous
refers to a message from a person who had bought a table with a sticker on it:
"Jordan & Cook, Ltd. The Worthing Pantechnicon"
Pantechnicon refers to furniture transportation

Bentalls department store, was founded in 1875
Bentalls in Worthing will close on 10th March (2002)and reopen on 12th March (2002)  as Beales

http://www.findaproperty.com/AgentDetails.aspx?edid=00&salerent=0&agentid=05817
"Jordan and Cook was originally founded in 1880 as a property agency, but soon diversified into other associated businesses. These included furniture removals, auctioneers and funeral directors, some of which are still established in Worthing today"

So - perhaps worth contacting the 120 year old business of Jordan & Cook estate agents after  - all they may have the concise answer to the question

Regards
AMBLY
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

"Now that we're all here, I'm not sure if we're all there...."

Entre los individuos, como entre las naciones, el respeto al derecho ajeno es la paz
 Among individuals, as among nations, respect for the rights of others is peace
    ~Benito Juarez (1806-1872)

Offline mayanne

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 31 January 07 09:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi there I was wondering if anyone had much luck with finding information on this topic, I also have an antique piece of furniture from Britain (now in Australia with me )
It has the same note on the back from Jordan and Cook ...The worthing Pantechnicon.
The intersting thing about mine is the 2 dates one written in 1946 the other from the same company is dated 1939 !!. Any infomation would be great.
As a footnote I found a letter dated in the 40's that was some kind of love poem .. very sweet

It was written on some kind of remittance to Russia from the UK
Thank you for your time
Lorraine

Offline binge

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 31 January 07 12:43 GMT (UK) »
Now I see you are in Australia. Jordon & Cooks were a long establised Worthing firm of Furnishers, Estate Agents & Undertakers who are now no more. There is a firm trading as Jordon & Cooks (estate Agents) in Worthing but I am fairly certain no Jordons are in that business.

Binge

Offline mayanne

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 31 January 07 12:56 GMT (UK) »
The antique sideboard came from England will post a piccy of it for interest (please note the drawers are missing at the moment as I am shifting house and the drawers are still in the other house ) The picture I posted just earlier was of the note on the back of this antique unit .

Offline binge

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 13 February 07 17:16 GMT (UK) »
I have been contacted by a member of the Jordan Family.
however the firm sold out to Bentalls (now sold on again - twice) some 30 - 40 years ago. I doubt whrther the family would have any records of the transaction you speak about

Offline pauljordan

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 20 February 07 07:35 GMT (UK) »
Hello James:

I'm a descendant of the founders of Jordan & Co.  Am sending you a private message.

Best wishes

Paul Jordan