Author Topic: Question = Early Lower Canada Land Records PLEASE  (Read 741 times)

Offline gazza1966

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Question = Early Lower Canada Land Records PLEASE
« on: Wednesday 26 July 06 05:37 BST (UK) »
Hi Karen, & Hi All, ;D

I have documentation that my 5xgrandfather Charles McFarlane(spelling variations) born abt 1760, was formerly farmer between 1784-1828 of la Cote St Paul,(St Paul's Hill) parish of La Chine, presently of Montreal.

Question = Please can someone tell me where can i find information on how did Charles got the land.

His father also named Charles married a French Canadian, Elisabeth Papillon and died, sometime before 1768.

Kind Regards
   Gary
McFarling - Quebec, Canada. and St.Helier, Jersey, Channel Is.
Flanagan - Waterford, Clonmel Co.Tipperary Ireland. Belfast N.Ireland.

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline boggabarrett

• Sorry my emails are not working
  • RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Question = Early Lower Canada Land Records PLEASE
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 26 July 06 06:36 BST (UK) »
Try this link, it has lots of Canadian stuff.

http://www.collectionscanada.ca/genealogy/022-500-e.html
Steggel:- Kent, Essex, Newcastle upon Tyne, Norfolk.

Barrett:- Kent, Essex, Ireland

Raymes:-Norfolk, Essex, New South Wales

Ainger:- Essex, Kent

Cockerill:- Canada

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline KarenM

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Grandpa Stanley has the hanky in his pocket
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 27 July 06 21:06 BST (UK) »
LOL, Hi Gazza

Not sure exactly how Quebec land records work, but if you have the lot and conession number you should be able to get some information.

If Quebec works the same as Ontario you should be able to see the original transaction of when the Crown conveyed the land and every transaction on the property to date. 

This is a copy of the abstract of title for one of mine (from Ontario).  From this I was able to get a copy of the will since my gr-gr-grandfather owned the land and passed it down to his children, therefore the will must be registered on title. 

Karen

Gandley (but known as Stanley in Canada)- Ireland to Birmingham<br />Ball, Kempson & Franklin - Birmingham<br />Shorter - Surrey<br />Dyer - Devon<br />Dawkins - Co. Cork, Ireland<br />Heffernan - Ireland
Huck - Alsace, France
Reinhart - Baden, Germany
Bowman & Ellis - England
Etheridge - Gloucestershire

Who all came to Canada in a little row boat, clap clap, clap your hands!!

Offline Josephine

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Photog'r: J. Thomas, 47 Everton Rd., Liverpool
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 30 July 06 17:48 BST (UK) »
Gary,

I don't know if this is relevant to your search, but when I lived in Montreal, there was a place called Lachine, Quebec (all one word).

Regards,
Josephine
England: Barnett; Beaumont; Christy; George; Holland; Parker; Pope; Salisbury
Scotland: Currie; Curror; Dobson; Muir; Oliver; Pryde; Turnbull; Wilson
Ireland: Carson; Colbert; Coy; Craig; McGlinchey; Riley; Rooney; Trotter; Waters/Watters