Author Topic: Mackeson Family, Canterbury  (Read 6511 times)

Offline JeannieR

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Me with eldest grandson Nick, now 23
    • View Profile
Mackeson Family, Canterbury
« on: Wednesday 26 July 06 12:06 BST (UK) »
Hi Everyone.......

I am trying to help a friend in NSW , with her family research into this family........

Henry Mackeson, born according to all census , at Canterbury , c1838 . He was a civil servant with the India Office . He retired to Sussex , where he died  in 1891 .

Frederick Mackeson also born Canterbury , c 1836 , he was a officer in the East India Army .

I have ascertained , that they were not the sons of Henry Bean Mackeson , the Brewery magnate, although he did have sons, with these names . Could they be nephews ?

Has anyone any baptismal records for that time please ? I have searched , and better searched for them  in census records prior to 1861 , but feel they may have been in India , if their father was in the Colonial Service . There is a possibility also, that father , could have been a clergyman , It seems to run in the family.........

Also, could anyone tell me , if Henry Mackeson , the Brewery heir, born c1808 , was ever a Lieutenant Colonel , in the Bengal Army ?

I have found someone on the 1851 census , who could be my boys father "H" Mackeson , visitor in London , with the above occupation, born Hythe , where I know that family came from , so just wanted to rule him out , so to speak.

Thanks Guys

JeannieR
This information is Crown Copyright, from www.national archives.gov.uk

Offline bearkat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Middx - VAUS, ROBERTS, EVERSFIELD, INMAN, STAR, HOLBECK, WYATT, BICKFORD, SMITH, REDWOOD
Hants - SMALL, HAMMERTON, GRIST, FRYER, TRODD, DAGWELL, PARKER, WOODFORD, CROUTEAR, BECK, BENDELL, KEEPING, HARDING, BULL
Kent - BAYLY, BORER, MITCHELL, PLANE, VERNON, FARRANCE, CHAPMAN, MEDHURST, LOMAX, WYATT, IDEN
Devon - TOPE, BICKFORD, FOSTER
YKS - QUIRK, McGUIRE, BENN
Nott/Derbs - SLACK
Herts - BARNES
L'pool- PLUMBE
 All UK census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline JeannieR

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Mackeson Family, Canterbury
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 27 July 06 11:50 BST (UK) »
Hi Bearkat.....

I have seen the memorial , in Canterbury , but no , that particular Frederick Mackeson , was murdered in India in 1853 , by a assasin . He was the son of Henry Mackeson , the brewer , and quite a well known officer in Bengal

The Frederick Mackeson , who I am researching , was in the East India Army , but was alive in 1861 , aged 25 , and staying with his brother , Henry Mackeson , aged 23 , at Harrow , Middlesex .

I haven't been able to find them prior to this ,no matter how I have searched .It is amazing how many ways Mackeson can be mis-spelt !! I think they may have been in India , certainly Frederick was , he married in 1858 there , and became a father and a widower all in the space of 2 years .......

I will keep trundling on , I hate to admit to being beaten !! I have another possibility ... I found the marriage of a Henry Scrope Mackeson , to a Ann Mantell Mackeson , which took place at Canterbury in 1833 . Will investigate this .....

Thank you for you time

Kind Regards

JeannieR

Offline smackeson

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 05 August 06 09:14 BST (UK) »
Dear jeanieR,

I have been researching the Mackeson Family for some time now and have extensive links and trees.

I have Henry Mackeson in my tree (DOB: 1838, DOD: 1891) who was married to Caroline Heap in 1860. I also have the extensive Australian connections of this part of my tree thanks to the postings on the net.

I too have noted the brother Fredrick on the 1861 Census although have not followed up on this lead as of yet... so many leads to follow.

The Henry Mackeson above, that you talk about was the son of Henry Scrope Mackeson and Annie Mantel Thornton. I Have proved this. His other known brothers and sisters I have proved are -

Annie Thornton Mackeson (DOB: 1834)
Charles Mackeson (DOB: 1843) - My Great Great Grandfather.
Louisa Mackeson (DOB: 1846)
Julius Preston Mackeson (DOB: 1861?) - In Aus?
Frederic Mackeson (DOB: 1859?) - In Aus?

Both Julius and Frederic were from the second marriage of Henry Scrope and are listed as born in Australia. Henry Scrope must have visited Australia??

Henry Scrope Mackeson is himself the Brother of Colonel Frederic Mackeson C.B. who was commissioner of Peshawar and murdered in Afghanistan. I have 7 other brothers and sisters listed for which I have extensive details. Henry Scrope Mackeson is the son of William Mackeson and Harriet Reynolds of Kent. This William is the brother of Henry Mackeson who is the grandfather of Henry Bean Mackeson.

If you would like any further information, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Scott

Offline JeannieR

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 05 August 06 10:46 BST (UK) »
Scott,

What can I say ? This is fantastic news.....as I stated at the start , this is not for me , but a friend in NSW , who is a descendent of Henry Mackeson , who was a curate at Worthing . He married Grace Caroline Nightingale in 1903 ......

I am JUST going away for the weekend, but couldn't resist opening my emails.....this is just a quick thankyou....I will be in touch again on Monday (or sooner , if I am rude , and take over the computer , at my daughters !!)

I will let you have Pam's email address (in NSW) and as you are both related , you can exchange info .

Kind Regards

JeannieR

Offline HeatherCLS

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 04 August 13 09:30 BST (UK) »
Are JeannieR and smackeson still out there after all this time? I have some questions re Mackesons
HeatherCLS

Offline David Boulding

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 22 March 14 21:28 GMT (UK) »
You  need to read "Soldier Sahibs" by Charles Allen as Col Fredrick Mackeson features prominently in the book. He and a handful of colleagues (6 British officers) brought peace and stability to the wild North Eastern Frontier regions (Pakistan) and the area ceded itself to Britain as they were so impressed.

The locals even named Abbottabad after Major James Abbott who founded the town and district in January 1853
Boulding Boulden Bollyng (all - mostly Kent)
Finch (Kent - Henry & Elizabeth (Fossett)  Finch m1687  London)
Foord (Kent - Aldington, Stanford area)
Philpot (Kent - Alexander Philpot died 1601 Ashford)
Waggon/Waghorn (Kent pre 1715)
Rose (Kent)

Offline Blue John

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 18 November 16 22:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi JeannieR,
I have a Frederick Laing Mackeson born 1821, Bath Abby, Somerset. Died 23 May 1874 Ahmadabad, Bombay, India. He was a Lt. Col. Native Infantry.
He is the son of John Mackeson and Olive Mackeand. John was a Captain in the East India Company, and a coffee planter in Jamaica.
John is the brother of the brewers in Hythe, Kent. the son's of Henry Mackeson.
Could this be the Frederick you are seeking?

Offline HeatherCLS

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 20 November 16 10:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi Blue John

Thank you for the reply.

I am a descendant of John Mackeson and Olive Mackeand through their son William Whyllys Mackeson. I have an extensive Mackeson branch in my Cargill tree on Ancestry.

I am having trouble moving around in this environment. I have been told that JeannieR and smackeson are still active but I can't work out how to make contact with them. I know that Frederick Laing Mackeson has descendants in Australia, such as the 'Pam' whom JeannieR mentioned and I would like to make contact.

Where did your information come from? Is it from one of my trees? My second tree, with less information, is named Calder Little.

HeatherCLS

HeatherCLS