Author Topic: Mackeson Family, Canterbury  (Read 6515 times)

Offline David Boulding

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Mackeson Family, Canterbury
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 20 November 16 15:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi JeannieR,
I have a Frederick Laing Mackeson born 1821, Bath Abby, Somerset. Died 23 May 1874 Ahmadabad, Bombay, India. He was a Lt. Col. Native Infantry.
He is the son of John Mackeson and Olive Mackeand. John was a Captain in the East India Company, and a coffee planter in Jamaica.
John is the brother of the brewers in Hythe, Kent. the son's of Henry Mackeson.
Could this be the Frederick you are seeking?

That's the Frederick that so impressed the people of the NW Frontier that they ceded what is now Pakistan to Britain. Do read that book, Solider Sahib, because he and his colleagues in the East India company were most exceptional men.
Boulding Boulden Bollyng (all - mostly Kent)
Finch (Kent - Henry & Elizabeth (Fossett)  Finch m1687  London)
Foord (Kent - Aldington, Stanford area)
Philpot (Kent - Alexander Philpot died 1601 Ashford)
Waggon/Waghorn (Kent pre 1715)
Rose (Kent)

Offline Blue John

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Mackeson Family, Canterbury
« Reply #10 on: Monday 21 November 16 02:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi HeatherCLS,

Thank you for your reply, and clearing that up for me.

Lt. Col. Frederick Laing Mackeson, of the Meywar Bheel Corps, is my second great grandfather. - So I am delighted to meet you Heather, and I hope we can stay in contact.

Frederick Laing Mackeson's will was given to a surgeon. I have seen a part of Frederick Laing Mackeson's will, it mentions his brother (your ancestor) and their sister. I have not seen all of the will as there is no mention of his son Charles Frederick Mackeson on the two pages I have seen, that talks mainly of shares. Charles was his only son, he was around 14 years old when his father died. It has been suggested Charles mother died in childbirth but I have no proof of this. If she died in childbirth, then I am curious who looked after Charles in India where he remained? Maybe if his mother's family were local they took him in?

I do not have ancestry, but would be grateful for any information you have on Frederick Laing Mackeson such as the name of his wife, and when and where they married as I cannot find them anywhere. Does anyone know what Frederick left in his will for his son Charles Frederick Mackeson, born 1860 Byculla, Bombay, India?

I would be delighted to hear from anyone with any information on Frederick and Charles.

My research is mainly from family members, certificates, on-line sites like this one and a lot of digging around and stumbling across things.

Thanks again - Blue John