Author Topic: "Cresswell" Derbyshire  (Read 12124 times)

Offline wrjones

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: "Cresswell" Derbyshire
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 02 August 06 09:15 BST (UK) »
Many thanks John for your reply,and also for the info concerning the area.I was not aware of the Mining Disaster at Cresswell,and it is yet another tragic example,"of the terrible price that was paid".You will see on my accompanying thread,that one of my Charles Stephens likely sons,a Norman Stephens is listed in the GRO Index as being born in the Worksop District in 1933.

Regards
William Russell Jones
Cefn Mawr
Wrexham
Jones, Griffiths. Stephens, Parry, Gabriel, Conway, Hughes, Evans, Roberts, Lea, Hanmer. Peake, Edwards. Newnes, Davies. Thomas. "Blythin".
All North Wales.
Conway, Durber, Cartlidge, Lovatt, Bebington. Brindley, Sankey, Brunt. Dean. Clewes. Rhodes. Mountford,Walker,Bache, "Gibbons"Hood. Taylor
All Stoke-on-Trent.
Francis - Nantwich Cheshire.
Dennell - Cheshire/Staffordshire.
Talbot-Shropshire
Census Information Is Crown Copyright,from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline John Whysall

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 02 August 06 10:32 BST (UK) »
I might be missing something, but I am not aware of the time-scale for your search. Give me a time-span and I can do a quick hunt in the Family Records Centre here in London, next time I'm in Clerkenwell (I'm a mean so-and-so, and avoid subscribing to the on-line censuses!)

If it's 19th-century, to save you the effort, I can tell you that the IGI batch files for Elmton-with-Creswell [C054381 for christenings 1753-1810 & 1813-1868 and M054381 for marriages 1751-1810 & 1813-1836] have not one single Stephens/Stevens listed.

I know that the Creswell disaster is commemorated by a Miners' Chapel in the south aisle of St John the Baptist, Clowne (a window features the winding gear beneath a crucifixion). Many of the dead came from Clowne (which is about five miles west of Creswell, as I recall).

The nearest non-conformist churches and chapels, now and in the past, would probably be in Worksop and Clowne, so you might profitably refer to their records. I know from my own experience that several of my "hits" for my Derbyshire miner ancestors and collaterals come from the Methodist circuits.

Curiously, in the line of "great minds think alike", just after bashing out yesterday's posting, I was speaking to my next door neighbour (a Big Bod at the TUC -- now, there's class). Somehow, I asked him if he knew of Creswell and the pit disaster. I hadn't realised that the pit was working until 1991, by the way. The result of this chatter was the two of us swapping the verses (as well as we recollected them) of "The Gresford Disaster". The punch-line of the conversation was: "They don't make songs like that any more. Thank heavens, they don't need to."

Regards and good luck.

In Derbyshire: Whysall and their distaffs. In Norfolk and Cambs, Piggott/Pigot and their distaffs. In Ulster and SW Scotland, Hendry, Maud and their links.
Census information may be Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk.

Offline throckenholt

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 02 August 06 10:53 BST (UK) »
there is also Cressbrook a bit to the northwest of Bakewell

Offline wrjones

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 02 August 06 11:01 BST (UK) »
Many thanks for your replies Throckenholt and John.And you were quite right John,the quotation I used was indeed from the song reflecting the Gresford Disaster.

Regards
William Russell Jones
Cefn Mawr
Wrexham.
Jones, Griffiths. Stephens, Parry, Gabriel, Conway, Hughes, Evans, Roberts, Lea, Hanmer. Peake, Edwards. Newnes, Davies. Thomas. "Blythin".
All North Wales.
Conway, Durber, Cartlidge, Lovatt, Bebington. Brindley, Sankey, Brunt. Dean. Clewes. Rhodes. Mountford,Walker,Bache, "Gibbons"Hood. Taylor
All Stoke-on-Trent.
Talbot-Shropshire

Offline wrjones

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 11 January 07 14:09 GMT (UK) »
It is quite some time now since I posted to this thread.I am overjoyed to say that a Grandaughter of the Family I mentioned earlier,contacted me this morning after seeing my Tree on Ancestry.To me it is like discovering my very own;"lost tribe of Dan"!

Regards
William Russell Jones
Cefn Mawr
Wrexham.
All North Wales.
All Stoke-on-Trent.
Talbot-Shropshire

Offline KellyM

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 12 January 07 12:58 GMT (UK) »
I would be interested to know as to your connection to the family of Charles Stephens.  And if you would like any information regarding this family would be happy to help.

Many Thanks
Kelly Eden

Offline wrjones

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 12 January 07 16:43 GMT (UK) »
A very warm welcome to Rootschat Kelly and I will also be answering your PM.

Regards
William Russell Jones
Cefn Mawr
Wrexham.
All North Wales.
All Stoke-on-Trent.
Talbot-Shropshire