Author Topic: straud-air  (Read 5583 times)

Offline marriedwithkids

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
straud-air
« on: Saturday 30 October 04 10:41 BST (UK) »
can some one tell me if straud-air is an actual place in wigtownshire please. i have an ancestor who was apparently born there but there is question marks all over the birth place.her name was "sarah coleman diamond"
and i believe she was born abt. 1824 to parents john and margaret diamond. if any one can help i will be eternally greatful.
thanks all
Vickie
Muddle\Sussex
Shears \Cornwall\ northumberland
Lee\Hertfordshire
Matthews\Essex
Plumb\Cambridge

Offline GaryC

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: straud-air
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 29 March 05 12:07 BST (UK) »
Hi,
Sarah Calander McDawl Diamond married my gg grandfather Richard F Russell in  September 1843.   During her life she used a few extra names including Coleman as appears on the various certificates wedding / death etc.   I guess I must be the unreliable researcher mentioned - this was old info.   I have recently had my interest encouraged by contact from another interested family member - she has quite a lot of research material on this side of the family and I will ask her to contact you when she returns from holidays next week.   Sarah died at St George in Queensland 8th December 1897 aged 83.
Best wishes
Gary Carruthers
Australia

Offline nutmeg

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 03 April 05 07:54 BST (UK) »
Vickie Hi! I am the other interested family member Gary just mentioned.

I am also descended from Sarah Diamond, who my mother believed to have been born in Barbados in the West Indies. Mum has heard this passed down through the family although it is difficult to verify. A lot of documents list her as having been born in Scotland, (her death certificate does) in fact that was where the family came from, and not (my mother believes) her birth place. We do not have a birth certificate.

If you go to the LDS site you will find the birth of her brother Alexander James dob 6/10/1830 in Grenada in the West Indies to John Diamond and Margaret McGraw.  Alexander came to Australia also and died out here, I have a photo of him somewhere. John Diamond was in the British Army, so I guess he was posted there. Her death certificate lists her as being born in stranagh scotland.

I am descended from Elizabeth Hartley Rusell, who married Henry Monley in 1879 in Inverell NSW.

How are you related to Sarah?  I have photos of her and Richard Russell which I am happy to share, along with copies of her wedding and death certificate.

Looking forward to hearing from you

meg
Russell, Diamond, Coleman, Monley, Phillips, Richards, Carr, Brett, Rainbird and Maurer

Offline marriedwithkids

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 03 April 05 23:13 BST (UK) »
Hi Meg,
 I am a descendant of Richard & Sarah's son Arthur Wellesley born 1847 in Brompton, Uk. Arthur married Leah legg & their daughter Sarah is my great grandmother. She married Reuban Matthews and their son Reuban married Mabel Daley and my mother is one of their daughters.
Gary has kindly sent me the ged.file he has and some photos but no certificates and I would really like a copy if you can send it to me.
I believe Elizabeth was my g grandmother Sarah's aunt  born out here in Aus. Please correct me if I am wrong because I have found many mistakes with my side of the family and it is wonderful to talk with other members of the family that can put things in place for me.
hope to hear from u soon
Vickie
p.s i believe u may have been in contact with my sister Michele as well  so i will pass on info to her as i am the main one doing all the research on the family
Muddle\Sussex
Lee\Hertfordshire
Matthews\Essex
Plumb\Cambridge

Offline nutmeg

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 04 April 05 00:47 BST (UK) »
Hi Vicki,

Indeed I do know who you are then! I have a copy of the book compiled by Graham Smith for your family reunion in 1995. I remembered reading of Ruggy matthews who would be your ...Grandfather?

I still have Michele's email addy so will email copies of Sarah's death and wedding certificates. I previously emailed photos of Richard and Sarah but will add those as well for good measure.

I am descended as mentioned from Elizabeth Hartley Russell who married Henry Monley in Inverell. The poor woman went on to have 8 sons, I am descended from Donald Monley the second youngest, who married in turn Caroline Maurer. My Mother was their youngest child, and was May Monley prior to her marriage to David Brett my father.

Mum does most of the research in truth, I am the internet gal and pass things on and try to research stuff. We intend next going to the archives to search shipping records amongst other things. We were also going to try to find a death certificate for Margaret Diamond, Sarah's sister who married an Elliot in NSW. Possibly there is a bit more information on her that will help with 'our Sarah'.

You asked previously what issue there were from Richard and Margaret on another thread maybe? Mum said there was a William, we know of Sarah and Alexander also Margaret. Old John Diamond died sometime between Alexanders birth in 1830 in Grenada and Margaret's remarriage in England in 1834 (she was listed as a widow) but we have not been able to find his death listed anywhere.  We are still trying to track that one down.

It is hard to know where to stop when researching isn't it?

;)
Russell, Diamond, Coleman, Monley, Phillips, Richards, Carr, Brett, Rainbird and Maurer

Offline marriedwithkids

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 04 April 05 01:46 BST (UK) »
when it gets u in there is no end just another twig to add to the tree. My sister has sent me the info u sent her so i will sit down with all u sent and greg sent and see if fresh eyes can see something differnt. Vickie
Muddle\Sussex
Lee\Hertfordshire
Matthews\Essex
Plumb\Cambridge

Offline Valerie BW

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 24 May 05 12:58 BST (UK) »
John Diamond - Margaret McGaw
Am researching this line - am descended from their son William Diamond who settled in Golden Bay, New Zealand.
Have got the family pretty well sorted out & keen to swap photos & check dates & descendants etc.
Still can't confirm any births though! It looks as though they originated in Galloway, some of the children born in Grenada or Barbados. Margaret took the children back to London after John died in 1830 where they grew up, hence some references to London for place of origin.
Margaret married Thomas Henry Hartley in 1836 & had three daughters, Elizabeth, Mary & Harriet. They lived in Rawstone Street, now Montpelier Street opposite Harrods.
Very keen to swap info & photographs etc. Have got a Diamond family history book well under way. Planning a Diamond family gathering in Auckland later this year - interested?

Offline nutmeg

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 24 May 05 13:22 BST (UK) »
Hi there, I'm afraid the previous post did not work.

I am descended from Elizabeth Hartley Russell, who was the daughter of Sarah Diamond, sister to your William Russell. We knew Margaret Diamond had remarried after John died, and knew she had  married Thomas Hartley, but were never able to find death details for John Diamond.

Do you have those details Valerie, and where did you find them????

You mention a get together in NZ and that William settled in NZ. Is it to much to assume you are a Kiwi then?  ;)

I would be interested in the Diamond book also. How mch information do you have?

Welcome to the family btw....

Meg

Offline Valerie BW

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 24 May 05 14:56 BST (UK) »
I am a Kiwi & it is the middle of the night - have just got excited at finding our "lost" Sarah Diamond.
Just found Sarah & Richard's immigration to Australia on the Walmer Castle 1848 with their children, Richard age 4 & Arthur age 1 and Sarah's sister Margaret Diamond age 19.

John Diamond & Margaret McGaw are thought to have come from Galloway.
They had four children - Sarah, William, Margaret & Alexander.
William's death certificate stated he was born in Barbados
Alexander's death certificate stated he was born in Grenada

John Diamond died in Barbados 1830 of yellow fever according to one family memory, of sunstroke according to another - have not been able to verify this.

Margaret took the children back to London & lived in Paddington
Married Thomas Henry Hartley - had three daughters, Elizabeth, Mary & Harriet who were born in Chelsea/Brompton. They moved into a new street in Knightsbridge - Rawstone Street now Montpelier Street opposite Harrods.
Margaret died there in 1861 - Thomas Hartley in 1862

Sarah married Richard Russell in London about 1841
Margaret married William Elliot in Sydney 1854
Alexander married Alicia O'Neil in Sydney 1852
William married Johanna (Thomson) Brown in Sydney in 1860

William & Johanna settled in Collingwood Golden Bay New Zealand - etc.....
I am descended from William Diamond

we have a photo of Margaret & another of Margaret & Thomas Hartley together
do you have others?

How do we get to swap snail mail addresses?