Author Topic: CHUGG family in Devon on late 1700's and early 1800's  (Read 4625 times)

Offline samthompson

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
CHUGG family in Devon on late 1700's and early 1800's
« on: Friday 28 July 06 08:20 BST (UK) »
Hello

This is my family from Barnstaple:

Ann Chugg, born March 2, 1810 / married Thomas Seager in 1852 / no children / died on January 8, 1901 / buried in Heanton Cemetery with parents (John and Mary Chugg ??) and sister Mary Chugg and brother John Chugg

Philip Chugg, born March 31, 1815 / listed as a wheel wright in the 1841 census for Barnstaple / came to Canada between 1841 and 1862/ married and raised a family in Quebec / died in 1885 (This is my ancestor and I have a lot of information and photos about him and his family.

Mary Chugg, born April 10, 1819 / never married / died on April 21, 1906 / buried in Heanton Cemetery with parents and sister Ann Chugg Seager and brother John Chugg

John Chugg/ date of birth unknown / date of death unknown / supposedly died young and is buried in Heanton Cemetery with parents and sisters Ann Chugg Seager and Mary Chugg (is listed as a 15 year old in 1841 census)

These four siblings show up in the 1841 England Census in Barnstaple, Devon census. No parents are listed in the census.  Canadian family stories list the parents as John and Mary Chugg, no dates at all.

I would love to know the names of these sibling's parents; any other sibling's to these four; when John died and if he married and had children; and any other family connections.

I can provide all the details for Philip Chugg's descendent's in Canada after he immigrated. I am a great, great, great, great  granddaughter of this Philip Chugg.

If any one can fill in the blanks I would be so grateful

Sincerely

Thelma Hartman
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Source: Library and Archives Canada's website (www.collectionscanada.ca)

Kilgannon, Chugg, Neutze

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Chugg family in Devon on late 1700's and early 1800's
« Reply #1 on: Friday 28 July 06 10:27 BST (UK) »
Hi Thelma,

The Barnstaple OPC offers a look up service for bmds in the Barnstaple parish register for 1538-1812 see http://www.barnstapleopc.co.uk/ . You could request a look-up for Ann as you know her birth date and it falls into that time period.

Good luck with the search

Shaun
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline samthompson

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Chugg family in Devon on late 1700's and early 1800's
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 15 August 06 20:07 BST (UK) »
Thanks Shaun for the website link. I had sent a request there but as of yet have had no response - perhaps the site is no longer being maintained or the admin is on break.

Still looking for any info on this Chugg family or others related. I know that one cousin went to Australia and later relatives immigrated to the state of Utah in the USA but have no specifics about how they connect to my Philip or his siblings.

Once again, thanks for the site

Thelma
Source: Library and Archives Canada's website (www.collectionscanada.ca)

Kilgannon, Chugg, Neutze

Offline Kiah

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: CHUGG family in Devon on late 1700's and early 1800's
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 13 August 22 04:03 BST (UK) »
Hi Chugg family. I have just joined today. My Grandfather was James Chugg from Devon. His Grandparents were Richard and Alice Coates 2nd June 1774?. My Chugg relatives married into the Lock family who also have descendants from the Rouledge family in Wembley. Lock and also Rouledge relatives were living in Devon. I don't know these names though. I am here more about my Chugg line from Combe Martin, Devon.
Anyone can reply who can help connect me with my lineage, websites and contacts. After Covid I think more people are trying to connect with families. :-)

Offline amondg

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 13 August 22 05:54 BST (UK) »
If you get a copy of the marriage certificate of Ann Chugg to Thomas Seager it will give you her father's name and occupation.

Ref: September Quarter Vol.5b  page 824 registered at Barnstable. 1852

Offline ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 13 August 22 11:13 BST (UK) »
Hello
The 1851 census for Ann and Mary Chugg at Barnstaple gives a birthplace of Heaton Punchardon.
There is a burial for John Chugg there
John Chugg 27 April 1845 age 22
This could fit with his age rounded down in 1841.

If John and Mary are correct there is also a burial for Mary 19.5.1867 of barnstaple at Heanton P and her gravestone with husband John is on Find a Grave.com
John buried 14.3.1831 .
There are digital flowers left on there from M Lugg of Canada so someone thinks they are the right couple.
Also there is another son John buried 23..4.1815 .I think it says aged 2 years.
1861 census she is on her own at Heaton Hill, 1851 aged 73,a widowed landed proprietor from Heanton,1841 William Rogers age 15 is with her ,perhaps a grandson

There is also a Susan Chugg d of John a carpenter marrying at HP to John Rogers 18 Feb 1841 at HP but obviously too late to be William Rogers mother.

Apparently the marriage for Ann is at Barnstaple Independent chapel 9 Aug 1852 so if any one is near the archives and can pop in ?

Got them ,they are all transcribed as Jugg on FindMyPast.And looking at them it does say Jugg but it is them.

baptisms Hp- Ann 22 July 1810,Elizabeth 24 May 1812 ,Susanna  10 Oct 1813 ,Phillip 21.5.1815 s of John and Mary carpenter ,Mary 25th April  1819 ,John 22.9.1822
Marriage for parents given as HP Aug 27th 1809 John Chugg and Mary Ann Rogers and that is online and can be confirmed on FindMyPast. John makes mark so it's probably his accent.
Burial gives birth for John c1772

Ciderdrinker

Offline Kiah

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: CHUGG James b 20 Oct 1861 Devon
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 13 August 22 13:39 BST (UK) »
Hello
Looking for relations from the following lineage:

Family from James Chugg 20/10/1861?Combe Martin, Devon (parents: Richard Chugg and Agnes Norman; Grandparents: George and Mary Coates) - all from Devon.

Thank you so much  :)