Author Topic: WW1 Burma???  (Read 12029 times)

Offline Msgfb

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: WW1 Burma???
« Reply #27 on: Sunday 24 August 14 22:56 BST (UK) »
My Grandfather was with the Army in Burma during WW1, but I been unable to establish what he was doing. I do know that a division of the Indian Army was in Burma, but why? His name was George Bartram.

Offline mmm45

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: WW1 Burma???
« Reply #28 on: Sunday 24 August 14 23:06 BST (UK) »
Lowe(Lower Gornall-Castleford)
Blackburn (Castleford)
Sidwell(Ledsham)
Fairburn(Hartshead)
Wood(Liversedge)
Tallon (Whittington Lancs/Hartshead West Yorkshire)

Researching all Great War soldiers from the Spen Valley of West Yorkshire Especially lads from the Cleckheaton Company of 1/4th West Riding Regiment.

Offline butterflylullaby

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: WW1 Burma? On Parade: Straits Settlements Eurasian Men Who Volunteered To D
« Reply #29 on: Sunday 11 November 18 16:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jim,

My Great Grandfather (Robert Hartland Stanley Myles) served in Burma in World War 1. He is in this new book, which comes out on the 24th November 2018:

On Parade: Straits Settlements Eurasian Men Who Volunteered To Defend The Empire, 1862-1957

http://www.selectbooks.com.sg/getTitle.aspx?SBNum=061945

On Parade chronicles the attempts of Straits Settlements Eurasian men to take responsibility for the defence of the British Empire, both at home and abroad, over a period of nearly a hundred years. From the original refusal to allow Eurasian men to enlist at all, through the expectation on the part of the Crown of absolute loyalty for very little material gain, Eurasian men volunteered, and were prepared to make the ultimate sacrifice, for the noble goal of defending their home and families. This book paints a picture of Singapore’s established Eurasian community, drawn from the Straits Settlements and Malaya. They strove to defend what they considered to be their only home. Intrinsic civic-mindedness is evinced in this social history of the Straits Settlements Eurasian Volunteers. 

Hope this helps. Thanks for posting. Very interesting.

Sharon
http://butterflylullaby.blogspot.com/2018/10/on-parade-book-saving-empire-family.html