Author Topic: Denchfield/Deanchfield  (Read 11419 times)

Offline bookendart

• RootsChat Member
  • Grannie & Grandad
    • View Profile
Re: Denchfield/Deanchfield
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 29 August 10 02:40 BST (UK) »
Hi Paula,

Got Mathew's will in the mail today  :D :D

Here is the gist of it as best as I can tell, given the will was proved in 1660 and I am a novice will transcriber.

I, Mathew Denchfield, yeoman of North Marston, being sick of mind but of perfect mind and memory, made this will on the 4th of March, 1658...

I give my son John the sum of thirty pounds, to be paid when his present apprenticeship is finished.

I give my son Mathew the sum of thirty pounds, to be paid when he reaches the age of 22.

I give my daughter Prudence Stanbridge the sum of 10 pounds to be paid within a year of my death.

I give my grandson Richard Stanbridge one Ewe and a lamb to be delivered within six months of my death.

I give my son Mathew my great Pottage whensoever he demands it after my death.

I give my son John my great [can't read this word, begins with a P]  :( whensoever he demands it after my death.

I give my wife Mary half my house and land with half the appurtenances for the rest of her natural life after which it goes to my son Richard and his natural children.

He names his wife Mary and son Richard as joint executors. The probate is in faded Latin....but it was proved on 9 January 1660 and it appears that both Richard and Mary were present.

Incidently, having learned Prudence's married name, I was able to track her death down in the North Marston parish transcripts:

Prudence Stanbridge - buried 17 Jun 1680 North Marston

Cheers,
Claire :D

Collins, Turner, Moyses, Curtis, Collcutt, Okey, Baker, Meadows, Peach, Denchfield, Purchas

Offline PaulaToo

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me 'n Gerry
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 29 August 10 12:23 BST (UK) »
That is brilliant Claire, thank you so much.
I love the bit about giving wife Mary HALF the house and land....
Makes you think they drew a line down the middle :D
Very grateful,
Paula
Bartlett/Henley on Thames
Caponhurst/Buckinghamshire and?
Denchfield/North Marston/Bucks
Webb/Winchester
Mathias/Pembroke/Pembroke Dock
John/Pembroke/Pembroke Dock
Smith/Portsmouth/Portsea
Purchas/Bucks and?
Olliffe/Bucks

Offline bookendart

• RootsChat Member
  • Grannie & Grandad
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 04 September 10 18:23 BST (UK) »
Hi Paula,

Just got a package of Denchfield wills in the mail, and I'm having a mild panic attack.....Looking at John Denchfield, dairyman, who made his will on 9 Oct 1799, and it was proved a year later....

he leaves land to son's John and Richard, which I will copy out to you shortly, but he also bequeaths 50 pounds apiece to "each of my four Daughters, Namely Elizabeth, Jane, Sarah and Susannah Denchfield" major problem being I was expecting to see a FIFTH living daughter, my Ann Denchfield who married William Baker. YIKES

From the North Marston PR transcripts, I've got baptisms to John and Mary for:

Elizabeth 21 Jun 1762
Mary 19 Aug 1764 (she marries James Chantral, has a son John who gets money too, dies before 1799 when her father's will it written)

Ann 4 Apr 1769 who dies as a baby
Jane  13 May 1771
my Ann 17 May 1773
Sarah 2 Aug 1776
Susannah 7 Sep 1778
Hannah 18 Sep 1780 who died in 1795 before he wrote his will

Does this agree with your records? Is the North Marston register wrong? Or could John have disliked Ann's choice of husband and left her out of his will??
-Claire
Collins, Turner, Moyses, Curtis, Collcutt, Okey, Baker, Meadows, Peach, Denchfield, Purchas

Offline bookendart

• RootsChat Member
  • Grannie & Grandad
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 04 September 10 18:26 BST (UK) »
My transcription of the whole will:

In the Name of God, Amen. I John Denchfield of Northmarston in the County of Bucks, Dairyman, being weak in Body but of sound & perfect Memory and Understanding, blessed be God therefor do make and declare this my last Will and Testament in manner as followeth (that is to say) Principally and first of all I commend my Soul into the hands of Almighty God, and my Body to the Earth in hopes of a blessed Resurrection: and as to my little Worldly Estate I dispose of the Same as follows (that is to say) I Give and devise unto my Son John Denchfield his Heirs and Assigns for ever All that my New Inclosed Piece of Ground lying in the Parish of Northmarston aforesaid which was Allotted unto my late Father John Denchfield in lieu of a Half Yard Land then lying dispersedly in the Open and Common Fields of Northmarston aforesaid The Estate of Francis Lewis lying on the eastward part thereof and that of Mr. Eaton on the westward part thereof Together with all Rights Members and Appurtenances thereunto belonging Paying thereout unto my Son Richard Denchfield the sum of One hundred Pounds of lawful Money of Great Britain at his Age of Twenty one Years in case he so long shall live. I Give and devise also unto my said Son Richard Denchfield his Heirs and Assigns for ever All that my Messuage or Tenement situate near the Church in Northmarston aforesaid now in the occupation of William Buckingham; Also All that my Messuage or Tenement and Close or Closes adjoining and belonging situate and being in Northmarston aforesaid which I lately purchased of Mr. James Burnham of Winslow. Together with all Rights Members and Appurtenances to them respectively belonging. I Give and bequeath to each of my four Daughters, Namely Elizabeth, Jane, Sarah and Susannah Denchfield the sum of fifty Pounds apiece of lawful Money of Great Britain at their respective ages of twenty one Years provided they respectively so long shall live. I give to my Grandson John Chantrel the sum of ten pounds at his age of Twenty one years. All the rest and residue of my Goods and Chattels and Personal Estate of what nature and kindsoever I give and bequeath equally between my well beloved Wife Mary and my said Son John Denchfield, whom I likewise make and appoint joint Executors of this my last Will and Testament. In Witness whereof I have hereunto set my hand and seal the ninth day of October in the Year of our Lord one thousand seven hundred and Ninety nine. (1799)

the estate was valued to be less than 600 pounds

Offline PaulaToo

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me 'n Gerry
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 04 September 10 18:54 BST (UK) »
Hi Claire.
Well there's a turn up!
I have no doubt that Ann is his child, but I wonder why he left her out of his will?
That is very very interesting.
I've had ones cut out of wills before because they married the wrong person, so it did go on.
Oh dear.
Thanks for that, another problem to ponder. Still, that's what makes family history fun.
Paula
Webb/Winchester
Smith/Portsmouth/Portsea
Purchas/Bucks and?
Olliffe/Bucks

Offline bookendart

• RootsChat Member
  • Grannie & Grandad
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 04 September 10 19:21 BST (UK) »
I wonder if it was because William Baker was so well off. He didn't think he needed to worry about her.

I've moved on to transcribing the will of John Denchfield, 1689. Very slow going..........curiously, this is the John I had as being married to Parnell, however in the will he mentions his well loved wife Audrey. Also, he makes several bequests to his daughter Parnell who appears to have married John Stevens and had a son Ralphe Stevens who is John's 'grandchild and god sonne'. I had no idea there was a daughter Parnell.

I suspect his wife Parnell had died in the torn out years and he'd subsequently married Audrey. There is a death of an Awdry Denchfield, widow in nearby Oving in 1704 who could be the same.

Let you know when I've made some more progress!!!!
Claire

Offline PaulaToo

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me 'n Gerry
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 04 September 10 20:17 BST (UK) »
That 'black hole' in the North Marston register is really annoying me!
It seems so much that we need happened on those lost pages.

I see Mary Chantral doesn't get a mention in the will of John 1799, but her son does...
Could it be that Ann and William had not yet produced a son... and they lost out?

I didn't know about Parnell dying, but if she went down the black hole and he married Audrey, that would explain the appearance of Awdrey Denchfield in Oving.

Very interesting

Thanks
Paula
Webb/Winchester
Smith/Portsmouth/Portsea
Purchas/Bucks and?
Olliffe/Bucks

Offline bookendart

• RootsChat Member
  • Grannie & Grandad
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 10 May 11 19:35 BST (UK) »
Hi Paula! :) :)

I'm in the midst of transcribing more Denchfield wills for my blog and a question from a long distant cousin in S. Africa (yours too I would think!) has got me puzzling over the Mary Gurney/Thorn/lambourn mystery again.  Can I compare notes with you?

I've got Ann Denchfield (married William Baker) born in 1773 as the daughter of John Denchfield and Mary Gurney.  Ann's father John was the son of John Denchfield (the elder) and Elizabeth Brewer. Elizabeth died in 1759, and widower John (elder) married Mary Thorne on 13 April 1773 - from the BHFS St Mary's transcripts.

Some online genealogies have Mary Thorne's name as Mary Lanbourne...not sure why. Also, some online genealogies suggest that it was Ann's father John, and not her grandfather, who married Mary Thorne/Lambourn in 1773, and that Ann is actually the daughter of Mary Thorne/Lambourn.

I have copies of wills for both Johns - Ann's father John who made a will in 1799, and her grandfather John, who made his will in 1766 (amended 1777). BOTH John's mention wives named Mary which to me is compelling evidence that Mary Thorne/Lamborun was married to the elder John Denchfield.

Do you have any thoughts on this?  :)

kindest regards
Claire

Offline PaulaToo

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me 'n Gerry
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 10 May 11 21:31 BST (UK) »
I believe that Ann was the daughter of John Denchfield 1737 and Mary Gurney 1742 for two reasons.

First is the fact that if John 1737 married Mary Thorn it would have been only days before Ann was born. That isn't impossible knowing the things they got up to in NM, but that is usually the Tattams and Franklins, bless um. I think the Denchfields were a bit too near to their Rev. Gents. to get up to tricks.

Second, look at the dates of the children.
1762  1764  1766  1769  1771 (then the supposed marriage but they carry on) 1773  1776  1778  1780  1783 It doesn't seem to give a break for wifey to die, chat up a new girl get her in the family way and have a wedding just at the last moment.

Burial of Mary Denchfield in 1817 at the age of 75 ... 1817-75 = 1742
Mary Lambourn? There is a Mary lambourn, but I have no idea how she became linked in.
I reckon that John snr thought that 14 years as a widower was long enough, and got himself a new wife.

Hope this helps, it's a very confusing time with John, father of John who was the father of John, to say nothing of two wives called Elizabeth and two wives called Mary.
All the best
Paula
Webb/Winchester
Smith/Portsmouth/Portsea
Purchas/Bucks and?
Olliffe/Bucks