Author Topic: Maban/Maben and Grierson Kells and Girthon  (Read 11115 times)

Offline GillSmith

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Maban/Maben and Grierson Kells and Girthon
« Reply #9 on: Monday 31 July 06 15:54 BST (UK) »
Your your a star...thanks I'm very interested. What's work?!!

Speak soon

Gill
Calvert Scotland<br />Coleman Ireland, Flynn Co. Mayo.<br />Gough Ireland,O'Brien,Ireland Smith, Todd Scotland, Tovey Wales and Bedminster, Donley Ireland and Cumbria, Morrine Scotland,Grierson Scotland,Maban Scotland,Bell Scotland, McKie. Hurse from Somerset. Scotland.<br />Johnston Scotland.<br />Hope Scotland<br />Rea Scotland<br />Jardine,Elliot Scotland,Almond,Smith England, Hodges Cheshire.<br />Thompson Northern Ireland,<br />Ireland,Scotland and Wales

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 31 July 06 16:35 BST (UK) »
Work is defined as things I don't enjoy doing - everything else is fun  :D

Anyway, interim report:

I've searched for Bell, Grierson and Maben/Maban in the MIs of Kells, Kirkcudbright, Girthon, and then the closest parishes to Girthon - Kirkmabreck, Kirkdale, Creetown and Minnigaff. I can't find reference to any of your names.

I also checked out this list of deaths in Kirkcudbright 1826- 1853 from the Old Kirkcudbright website. Only one ref that might be of interest - infant son of Widow Maben in 1830.

http://www.old-kirkcudbright.net/genealogy/oprDeaths/index.asp

There is an interesting article about Kirkcudbright in 1821 - none of yours listed but worth a read anyway, if you've not done so already

http://www.old-kirkcudbright.net/papers/1821.asp

I'll have a look at a few other sources but it's all very strange. Mind you, I recall that there  was a period in the 1770s-1790s when some people refused to pay for baptismal entries (think they were increased to pay for Americanand French wars). The bairns were baptized, just not entered in the registers  :(

Gadget

PS I've modified this message about 3 times - I should proof read more carefully or type more slowly  ::)
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline GillSmith

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 31 July 06 17:06 BST (UK) »
Hi again Gadget

Not working is much more fun!

I'm perplexed......however I remembered where I'd seen a Janet Bell.

I looked up LDS and found Eshter Bell born around 1767 and christened 26 April of that year to Janet Jardine and John Bell, Kirkmichael, Dumfrieshire. They appaer to have had 8 children the last bairn being born 1774.

Now if indeed this is my family it would explain why at least the Bells aren't in Kirkcudbrightshire Births.

Thomas Maben is a complete mystery.

Thanks for your help it's helped solved at least some of the puzzell, and am I puzzelled!

Are you in Kirkcudbrighshire?
Calvert Scotland<br />Coleman Ireland, Flynn Co. Mayo.<br />Gough Ireland,O'Brien,Ireland Smith, Todd Scotland, Tovey Wales and Bedminster, Donley Ireland and Cumbria, Morrine Scotland,Grierson Scotland,Maban Scotland,Bell Scotland, McKie. Hurse from Somerset. Scotland.<br />Johnston Scotland.<br />Hope Scotland<br />Rea Scotland<br />Jardine,Elliot Scotland,Almond,Smith England, Hodges Cheshire.<br />Thompson Northern Ireland,<br />Ireland,Scotland and Wales

Offline GillSmith

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 31 July 06 17:08 BST (UK) »
I see that you have Flintshire/ Denbighshire interests I live in Denbs. Is there anything I can do to help you in return?

Gill

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 31 July 06 17:25 BST (UK) »
Hi Gill

I do have a few Joneses that cause me some grief  ;)

Thomas Maben is strange - a general British Isles search on the IGI only brings up a few around his broad possible birthdate - some Clyde area, some Roxburgh others England.

I was wondering about the Isles of Man  ??? As he was a master mariner, he need not have come from the area at all. Both Gatehouse, Creetown and Kirkcudbright were navigable in those days with a lot of coastal/Irish Sea trade.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline GillSmith

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 31 July 06 17:32 BST (UK) »
I'll have a look at the IOM. I had wondered if he had been born in Ireland.

Now I do understand that Jones can be a problem...a big problem.

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll investigate.

Just shout if I can help you.

Thanks
Gill

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 31 July 06 17:36 BST (UK) »
Gill -

What are the names of their children - in birth order.

I've been looking through the BIVRI, which lists two:

26 April 1811, Girthon, Margaret, d/o Thomas Maben and Agnes Grierson

23 Sept 1818, now in Kirkcudbright, Esther, d/o Thomas Maybone and Agnes Grierson

both are births rather than baptisms.

Gadget

PS only the Roxburgh one for Thomas  :(

Offline GillSmith

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 31 July 06 18:03 BST (UK) »
I only have the ones that you've noted and

Thomas 11/03/1821

William 29/09/1823

and my 3x times great grandmother sometime around 1820 - Marion Maban

I think there were Mabans around the Parton area too

Thanks

Gill

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 31 July 06 18:17 BST (UK) »
Just a thought -

Because of the long gap - Napoleonic Wars. There's a list somewhere on the web of D & G men who served and they're on the Nat Archive site.

So we have:

1810 - marriage - Girthon
1811 - Margaret - Girthon
1818 - Esther - Kirkcudbright
1819/20 -Marion - ? Kircudbright
1821 - Thomas - ? Kirkcudbright
1823 - William - ? Kirkcudbright.

Just using a bit of variation from the Scottish Naming Patterns -

Margaret - an important local personage/family member or Thomas' mother
Esther - Agnes' mother
Marion - ? poss Thomas' mother
Thomas and William - either fathers?

This is all conjecture  :-\

I'll have a look at Parton - but then you've got Crossmichael, Balmaclellan and Kelton/Castle Douglas as well  :(

Gadget