Author Topic: Maban/Maben and Grierson Kells and Girthon  (Read 11120 times)

Offline GillSmith

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Maban/Maben and Grierson Kells and Girthon
« on: Monday 31 July 06 13:41 BST (UK) »
Seeking information on the family of Thomas Maban/Maben Master Mariner who was born around 1785-90 possibly in Girthon or Kells parish. He married Agnes Grierson in Girthon 1810. Thomas was reputedly murdered pre- 1841.

He was a Master Mariner and his widow Agnes Grierson or Grier lived in Kirkcubright until her death in the 1860's. Her son William Maban was a Tailor with a shop on the High Street.

The parents of Agnes were Janet Bell - I have no other information on her Father excepting that he was a farmer.

Any information would be appreciated

Gill
N Wales
Calvert Scotland<br />Coleman Ireland, Flynn Co. Mayo.<br />Gough Ireland,O'Brien,Ireland Smith, Todd Scotland, Tovey Wales and Bedminster, Donley Ireland and Cumbria, Morrine Scotland,Grierson Scotland,Maban Scotland,Bell Scotland, McKie. Hurse from Somerset. Scotland.<br />Johnston Scotland.<br />Hope Scotland<br />Rea Scotland<br />Jardine,Elliot Scotland,Almond,Smith England, Hodges Cheshire.<br />Thompson Northern Ireland,<br />Ireland,Scotland and Wales

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Maban/Maben and Grierson Kells and Girthon
« Reply #1 on: Monday 31 July 06 13:48 BST (UK) »
Hi Gill  :)

I think we've talked before. I've got masses of stuff on Kells, Girthon and other parishes in the area. Including MIs.

I'm doing some other work this afternoon but I'll check them out for you later if no one has come up with anything.

From memory, I do recall an Agnes Grierson. There were quite a lot of Grierson's in the area.

One of my 3 grt grandfather's nephews married a Bell, I think - mentioned in a letter.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline GillSmith

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 31 July 06 14:00 BST (UK) »
I look forward to hearing from you.

I would dearly love to know where my Great Great Great Grandfather Thomas Maban was buried.

Family legend etc has it that he was murdered at Preston Dock by two Irish men but I've contacted archives for Lancs wo have no record of such a crime.

I wonder if they meant Prestwich?

I do know from census info that he was dead by c 1841

Much appreciate your help.

Gill
Calvert Scotland<br />Coleman Ireland, Flynn Co. Mayo.<br />Gough Ireland,O'Brien,Ireland Smith, Todd Scotland, Tovey Wales and Bedminster, Donley Ireland and Cumbria, Morrine Scotland,Grierson Scotland,Maban Scotland,Bell Scotland, McKie. Hurse from Somerset. Scotland.<br />Johnston Scotland.<br />Hope Scotland<br />Rea Scotland<br />Jardine,Elliot Scotland,Almond,Smith England, Hodges Cheshire.<br />Thompson Northern Ireland,<br />Ireland,Scotland and Wales

Offline GillSmith

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 31 July 06 14:02 BST (UK) »
Or even Preswick!!

Offline GillSmith

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 31 July 06 14:02 BST (UK) »
I'll get it right one day Prestwick

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 31 July 06 14:47 BST (UK) »
Hi again Gill

I'm getting the mother of Agnes Maben (M.S. Grierson) as Esther Bell on her death cert of 12 June 1864 - can you confirm, please?

Nothing yet in the MIs for Kirkcudbright, Kells or Girthon. Lots of Griersons and Maben/Mabans in Kirkcudbright. I'll keep looking.

Gadget  :)
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline GillSmith

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 31 July 06 14:49 BST (UK) »
Yes that's right, why I put Janet goodness only knows.

That was very quick.

Thank You again
Gill

Offline GillSmith

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 31 July 06 15:06 BST (UK) »
Hi Gadget

I remember now - I did see a reference to Janet Bell as the mother of Agnes Grierson.

Can you tell me where you found the reference to Esther as this makes much more sense given that Agnes called one of her daughters Esther and this name appears later for children's children. I have no references to any later children having the name Janet.

That's really interested me

Thanks
Gill

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 31 July 06 15:42 BST (UK) »
It was from her death cert, Gill:

Agnes Maben died 12th June 1864 at 5.58pm , High Street, Kirkcudbright, aged 81, (widow of Thomas Maben, Master Mariner). Parents - ? Grierson, farmer and Esther, m.s. Bell. Cause of death - dysentry (10 days). Informant - William Maben, son, present.

GROS Ref -  Vol 871 Page 43

I'm still looking for anything that will give a lead. Thomas and Agnes married Girthon, 1810 - SP and IGI but can't find any Grierson's b. Girthon around when Agnes was born - poss brother James married Girthon 1819.

Interestingly, there's no will/TD for Thomas either Scotland or England.

I'll keep searching.

Hey - I'm supposed to be working  ;)

Gadget