Author Topic: McKelvie/ Goldie from Fermangh, I Think !!!  (Read 1090 times)

Offline debi-robo

• RootsChat Extra
  • From one little nut grew the mighty oak tree
    • View Profile
McKelvie/ Goldie from Fermangh, I Think !!!
« on: Tuesday 01 August 06 18:41 BST (UK) »
My GG grandfather was William McKelvie born 1831/32 Enniskillen, Ireland.

His parents are recorded on his marriage and death certs as Patrick McKelvie and Bridget McKelvie, maiden name Goldie.

William McKelvie married Jane Sutherland on 1st April 1857, Auchterarder, Perthshire. At the time of his marriage his father Patrick is deceased but Bridget is still alive.

All census returns state William was born in Ireland, one adds Enniskillen.

Does anyone have any idea where i can look for
a. William McKelvies birth
b. Patrick McKelvie death
c. any sign of Bridget at all would be good!

The thing is i don't know if William came to Scotland on his own as an adult or as a child with his parents.
I have searched at the records office for Bridget McKelvie and Bridget Goldie death in Scotland with no luck but she may have remarried.

Help please!

Any advice at all would be extremely appreciated.

Debbie
ROBERTSON/ TRACEY/ MCKELVIE/ SUTHERLAND/ GARDNER/ IMRIE
KANE/ MCGEOWN/ MALONE/ MCCULLOCH/ MCDOUGALL/ FERGUSON

"This information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"

Offline Delly

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: McKelvie/ Goldie from Fermangh, I Think !!!
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 12 August 06 12:09 BST (UK) »
Hi Debbie,
Join the club  :-\ I also have a mystery Bridget Goldie. 
According to children's birth cert she mar James McKeever (with as many spelling as you can imagine ) on 29 Oct 1858 in Dumfries Scot. I have paid for a search for this mar from the relevant Scotish repository but they have no record of it.
They emigrated to Aust in 1865 and both gave place of birth as Ireland. This was further confirmed on birth certs of chn where Bridget said she was from Co Sligo (something like Allervistit--unreadable ) and James was from St Johnston, Co Donegal or Derry --he changed it as he felt like it I think.  ???

If you come across a clan of Goldie's from possibly Sligo, I'd like to know the Townland . ???
By the way, Bridget's name was also spelt as Golden, and Gouldie on different certs.
Delly in Brisbane :)

Offline debi-robo

• RootsChat Extra
  • From one little nut grew the mighty oak tree
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 12 August 06 19:25 BST (UK) »
Hi Delly

I was very interested in your Bridget Goldie, you see my Bridget was still alive in 1857 but her husband was deceased, I believe my Bridget may also have been born in Ireland.

Some of Bridget's grandchildren have the middle name Goldie, variants include Gouldie and Guildie.

Do you have a death certificate for your Bridget Goldie, is it possible we are searching for the same person ?

kindest regards

Debbie
ROBERTSON/ TRACEY/ MCKELVIE/ SUTHERLAND/ GARDNER/ IMRIE
KANE/ MCGEOWN/ MALONE/ MCCULLOCH/ MCDOUGALL/ FERGUSON

"This information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"

Offline Delly

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 12 August 06 22:27 BST (UK) »
Don't think it's the same person Debbie. I have our Bridget's death cert and also a photo of her headstone at Rookwood Cemetery, Sydney.
Death cert : Bridget McKeever, died 14 Jan 1900 at Sydney Hospital.  Born Sligo, Ire.
Parents John Goldie , labourer and Bridget Broderick.  Married in Scotland at age 17 to James McKeever.  Roman Catholic. Lived in New South Wales Australia for 30 years.

She also used Goldie as the middle name of her dau Margaret born in 1881.
I have a photo of her which must have been taken soon after arrival here. She looks quite young.
Guess she'll stay a mystery. Just wish I could find a record of her marriage . Very odd when they actually use the same date for it on kids birth certs yet no official record can be found.

Cheers Delly

Offline asdfghjk

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 17 December 21 22:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi Debbie! We are related! My 3rd great grandfather is also William McKelvie ;D which of his children are you descended from? I'm from James then Richard then a James again.

I'm wondering if you had any luck on what happened to Bridget?

Offline Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 18 December 21 12:48 GMT (UK) »
My GG grandfather was William McKelvie born 1831/32 Enniskillen, Ireland.

His parents are recorded on his marriage and death certs as Patrick McKelvie and Bridget McKelvie, maiden name Goldie.

William McKelvie married Jane Sutherland on 1st April 1857, Auchterarder, Perthshire. At the time of his marriage his father Patrick is deceased but Bridget is still alive.

All census returns state William was born in Ireland, one adds Enniskillen.

Does anyone have any idea where i can look for
a. William McKelvies birth
b. Patrick McKelvie death
c. any sign of Bridget at all would be good!

The thing is i don't know if William came to Scotland on his own as an adult or as a child with his parents.
I have searched at the records office for Bridget McKelvie and Bridget Goldie death in Scotland with no luck but she may have remarried.

Help please!

Any advice at all would be extremely appreciated.

Debbie

I know the query was a long time ago but just for information, death registration didn’t start in Ireland till 1864 so if Patrick died pre 1857 there probably is no record of it. I searched for a Bridget McKelvie/ey death in Ireland 1864 – 1900 but did not see one that fitted. So either she died before 1864, remarried or moved away.

Goldie is a very uncommon surname in Ireland. Only a handful in Griffiths Valuation in the early 1860s, mostly around Belfast. None in Fermanagh in the 1901 census.

Regarding Patrick & Bridget’s births, I assume they were RC. Birth registration only started in 1864 and prior to that you need to rely on church records, where they exist. However in the case of Fermanagh few RC parishes have records for the early 1800s, so there may be no trace of those events.
Elwyn