Author Topic: John Bailey- Gamekeeper- Doncaster FHS  (Read 5308 times)

Offline jean.ellison

• RootsChat Member
  • Cornelius Langshaw
    • View Profile
John Bailey- Gamekeeper- Doncaster FHS
« on: Thursday 03 August 06 09:31 BST (UK) »
Hi, Is it possible for anyone visiting Doncaster FHS, to look up a John Bailey for me?, he worked for Lord Halifax, at Hickleton Hall, as a Gamekeeper in the 1901 census and was married to Alice in 1898. I believe that country estates were supposed to registered at the local quarter sessions and was wondering if this may be. Any information on this man would be greatly appreciated, best wishes, Jean
Bailey, Bayliffe, Ellison- Lancs,
Youd, Youde- Flint & Lancs
Massey- Rixton
Devine Ireland & Lancs
Gilchrist
Rogers- Rhosllanerchrugog
Langshaw- Lancs
Hannah- Lancs
Derrick- Notts & Lancs
Hartley- Caton
Bolton- Lancs
Arstall & Hankinson- Lancs

Offline KLM

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: John Bailey- Gamekeeper- Doncaster FHS
« Reply #1 on: Monday 14 August 06 17:46 BST (UK) »
I'll try to find something this Friday 18th August when I go to DDFHS.If so I will let you know
Malone...Cheshire & Lancashire.Boswell...Bucks and Hunts.Lister...Yorkshire and Lancashire.

Offline jean.ellison

• RootsChat Member
  • Cornelius Langshaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 14 August 06 18:50 BST (UK) »
Hi KLM, would really appreciate if you could, I have since received his marriage certificate and he was also a Gamekeeper in 1898, when he married a Alice Popplewell. His address looks like Melton on To Hill, but I'm afraid I have no idea where this is. For some reason, in 1901 his mother seems to be in Hemsworth Workhouse, thought he would have taken her with him wouldn't you?, many thanks for taking the time to have a look for you and if I can return the favour with info from Lancashire, please let me know, best wishes, Jean
Massey- Rixton
Devine Ireland & Lancs
Gilchrist
Langshaw- Lancs
Hannah- Lancs
Derrick- Notts & Lancs
Hartley- Caton
Bolton- Lancs

Offline dennford

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 15 August 06 00:13 BST (UK) »
Hi Jean,
    Melton on T' Hill would be High Melton - only 5miles from Hickleton.
I can't really help with your enquiry as such but as a boy I knew that estate well - my closest friend at school lived at Hickleton and if I remember correctly his father and elder sister worked on the estate. We used to have many hours of fun scampering around the hall and grounds while keeping out of the way of the senior staff. I used to get chased from bluebell wood (bella wood) on many occasions by the then gamekeeper, also I used to go blackberrying in Melton wood. at sometime in the 50s the hall was opened up as a home for I believe Polish refugees and became a part of the Sue Ryder foundation - I don't know if it is possible that the foundation may have some info on "Hicky Hall"

Denn
Ford, Baines, Dixon, Platts, Peat, Proctor, Rotherforth, Dakin/Daykin, Sales, Beech, Hall, Parkin, Nightingale. ----- Harthill, Waleswood, Woodhouse-mill, Whitwell

South Yorkshire/Derbyshire/Nottinghamshire

Torremocha, Candog, Ramos, Reyes, Rodrigueus
-------Philippines --- Bohol

Offline dennford

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 15 August 06 00:22 BST (UK) »
Have just been googling the place and it appears that a booklet entitled "hickleton castle" has just beeen published and the auther is no other than my old schoolfriend that I mentioned. So I shall email him this morning and hope for a reply.

Denn
Ford, Baines, Dixon, Platts, Peat, Proctor, Rotherforth, Dakin/Daykin, Sales, Beech, Hall, Parkin, Nightingale. ----- Harthill, Waleswood, Woodhouse-mill, Whitwell

Offline jean.ellison

• RootsChat Member
  • Cornelius Langshaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 15 August 06 11:34 BST (UK) »
Hi Denn, Thanks for your info, I tried on Genuki, but it was as if the place didn't exist, at least I now know where it is. On the 1901 census my John Bailey was living at Hickleton Hall, as the Gamekeeper, my mother thought he died young in a shooting accident, but as yet, I have not found a death for him and I've got as far as 1945, I think she may have got mixed up, as his father died in  an shooting  accident. My grandmother, Beatrice Bailey, went to stay with John and his family during her childhood, she was suffering from some ailment and the doctor thought the country air would do her good, must have done because she lived until she was 96. Many thanks again, Jean
Massey- Rixton
Devine Ireland & Lancs
Gilchrist
Langshaw- Lancs
Hannah- Lancs
Derrick- Notts & Lancs
Hartley- Caton
Bolton- Lancs

Offline KLM

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 18 August 06 15:54 BST (UK) »
Hello Jean,
Here I am as promised.On the 1891 census, John Bailey is shown as a servant( Footman) at St.Catherines Hall.His age..17.His employer was Charles Cook,a banker.John was born in Clifton.Yorkshire.The electoral register shows him{No.OX3]living in a dwelling house in Hickleton,this in 1903.
In 1907 [No.P53] he was living as above.
He does not appear in the Parish register for St.Wilfreds Baptisms,Banns,Marriages nor Burials.
Len and Iris Haller,Rochester Row,Scawsby,Doncaster were born,lived and worked at Hickleton and may have some more information.The latter details were given to me by a friend,Ron Thew.
I hope this helps.
Malone...Cheshire & Lancashire.Boswell...Bucks and Hunts.Lister...Yorkshire and Lancashire.

Offline jean.ellison

• RootsChat Member
  • Cornelius Langshaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 18 August 06 16:12 BST (UK) »
Hi KLM, thank you so much for this information, but I'm afraid I now have a problem, you see I had found John in 1891, living with his mother Elizabeth, in a cottage in Thorpe Audlin, Yorkshire, he married Alice Popplewell in 1898 and his father was William, a Joiner, whom died in a accident working on the Hull to Barnsley railway in 1881, I was pretty certain the John working at Hickleton Hall was mine as my mum remembers her mum visiting there as a child when she was unwell. I think I will have to look into this further, but many, many thanks for taking the time to look him up, best wishes, Jean
Massey- Rixton
Devine Ireland & Lancs
Gilchrist
Langshaw- Lancs
Hannah- Lancs
Derrick- Notts & Lancs
Hartley- Caton
Bolton- Lancs

Offline dennford

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 19 August 06 00:01 BST (UK) »
St Catherines is not atHickleton but at High Melton, which is where you had him living.
By the way her is the homepage of the Hickleton local history people, covers the hall and many more interesting topics.
http://www.hickleton.org.uk/index.htm

Denn