Author Topic: Summers family  (Read 6326 times)

Offline wiser65

• RootsChat Extra
  • Aussie
    • View Profile
Summers family
« on: Saturday 14 February 04 09:19 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
   Iam researching the Summers family from West Ham c1901. originally they were from London area.
                     Thanks,
                               Rob
Wise,Summers,Blanchard,Blackham,Baldry,Haselip,Carroll,Perry,Vincent,Towell,Doyle,Percival,
Burns,Howey

Offline jaq

• RootsChat Senior
  • willing to share resources
    • View Profile
Re:Summers family
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 18 February 04 22:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi Rob,
what other info do you have? what part of London or what names do you have?
jaq
Appleby Appleton Bass Dewey Dilks ELEY Fox Foy Frankland Furnivall Hammond Hume lawrence Lewis Manning Moody Muschamp Peck Plumley Spalding Spencer Thurston Watson Willsher Wright Youngs
---
Balls Barker Burton Cambridge Cook Dow Freeman Goody Harrington Mitchell Mitson Penn*ck Playford Smith

Offline wiser65

• RootsChat Extra
  • Aussie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 19 February 04 12:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jaq,
         The Summers Family consists of as of 1901:

Richard 21 Head Bethnal Green (Mile End)
Nellie    24 Wife   Westminster
Violet      1 Dau   Pimlico
Richard 53 Head Bethnal Green (Widower)
Thomas 14 Son   Battersea
Louise   19 Dau    Hampton

They resided in West Ham. Richard Snr. was married to Diana Perry she died in 1900. Two other daughters were absent; Jessie 18 and Alice 16. Jessie is my great grand mother.
         regards,    Rob
Wise,Summers,Blanchard,Blackham,Baldry,Haselip,Carroll,Perry,Vincent,Towell,Doyle,Percival,
Burns,Howey

Offline jaq

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 19 February 04 15:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi Rob
on this wet afternoon i had a search tho london 1891 census index but couldnt find your family.[altho the index isnt 100% complete]

i have essex  1891 which covers westham if you have address? or london 1901, again, if you have address.
jaq
Appleby Appleton Bass Dewey Dilks ELEY Fox Foy Frankland Furnivall Hammond Hume lawrence Lewis Manning Moody Muschamp Peck Plumley Spalding Spencer Thurston Watson Willsher Wright Youngs
---
Balls Barker Burton Cambridge Cook Dow Freeman Goody Harrington Mitchell Mitson Penn*ck Playford Smith

Offline Chris in 1066Land

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • "Forever Searching, Forever Learning"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 19 February 04 16:00 GMT (UK) »
hi there Rob

The Summers Family consists of as of 1901:
Richard 21 Head Bethnal Green (Mile End)
Nellie    24 Wife  Westminster
Violet      1 Dau  Pimlico
Richard 53 Head Bethnal Green (Widower)
Thomas 14 Son  Battersea
Louise  19 Dau    Hampton
They resided in West Ham. Richard Snr. was married to Diana Perry she died in 1900. Two other daughters were absent; Jessie 18 and Alice 16. Jessie is my great grand mother.

Have just spent some considerable time on the 1891 census 'on line' to try and locate your Summers Family, and without much success I am afraid.  

Putting in Richard Summers came back with 33 matches – but non were 43 or 11 years old ecept for one 11 year old in Yorkshire, but his father is Johnathan.

Allowing for variation of whether both Richards were born before or after the date of the census i.e ages 41, 42 or 43 and ages 10, 11 or 12 – but still there was nothing.

I tried a soundex search on the surname Summers, and it came back with 133 possibles – but again nothing matched your criteria.

I would assume that they must be there somewhere, but have been wrongly transcribed.  I think a street by street search (which you can not do on line) would probably find them.

Sorry

Chris in 1066Land.
One of Rootschats Founder Members RIP 1942-2021
Living at the Heart of English History in 1066Land. 
www.Rootschat.com/history/hastings

Swarbrooke Family Heritage
https://swarbrooke.co.uk

Own Ancestral Website:    http://maythornemill.webs.com                                          
Monumental Sculptures Website:    http://Tombstones.webs.com

Local History Site: http://zouch.webs.com
Baldslow Local History site
http://web.archive.org/web/20140626153455/http://www

Offline wiser65

• RootsChat Extra
  • Aussie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 19 February 04 20:21 GMT (UK) »
To jaq and chris,
                         thank you for you help. After a year of searching 1891. I found them in the index with a different spelling. What i am hoping for is to identify Richard snr, in 1881 his birth is recorded as The Borough and in 1891 it says Bethnal Green as does 1901. the birth year remains consistent at 1848. I believe he was married after 1871 so I would love to find him on that census or prior. Do you know anyone with the 1851 Census of London as I have the index entries to possibilities but no census.
               Once again thank you
                                           Rob
Burns,Howey

Offline jaq

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 09 March 04 15:57 GMT (UK) »
hi Rob,
i also have 1851c  london index.as you say, plenty of Summer's names.
what was the alternative spelling?
jaq
---

Offline wiser65

• RootsChat Extra
  • Aussie
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 10 March 04 10:23 GMT (UK) »
Dear Jaq,
              I have found members of the family under the spelling of; Summer and of all things, Simmer. since my last post, I have found a possibility that Richard's mother may have the name Mary Ann, as I found in the 1871 census, she was 69 years and remarried with the surname Wright. Her son Richard is listed as 23 years and born in London. This is consistent but is not enough. he was born in Bethnal Green according to 1891 Census but Beth Gre was the ancestral home for every Summers family in the UK (so it seems). I havent checked any indeices for this Mary ann  as yet as I dont have access to records all the time. Let me know if you come across anything.    Regards Rob
Burns,Howey