Author Topic: David JONES b Llanfwrog, AGY 1839  (Read 4386 times)

Offline angelb

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
David JONES b Llanfwrog, AGY 1839
« on: Saturday 05 August 06 06:26 BST (UK) »
Hi
I am trying to find the parents of my gg grandfather David JONES who according to the 1871 census was born at Llanfwrog in abt 1839. That is the only confirmed 'sighting' I have of him with his wife and children, then living at Llanwrin, MGY. He seems to have died before 1881.
I think that I have found him, through a process of elimination, with his grandparents in 1841-1861 living with grandparents John and Margaret DAVIES at Llanfwrog - although according to those censuses he is born at Llanfaethlu/y. No sign of any parents, but a younger brother, John (again I think) appears in 1851 and 1861. He is wrongly noted as the son in 1861.
Does anyone on list have any suggestions as to how I can make progress of this, please??

Many thanks in advance

Offline FionaM

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: David JONES b Llanfwrog, AGY 1839
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 05 August 06 23:08 BST (UK) »
Hi Angelb,
Llanfwrog and Llanfaethlu are right next to each other, so he could easily have been born in Llanfaethlu, but baptised in the church in Llanfwrog or vice versa.

He probably won't be on the IGI, as I've just tracked down someone from Llanfwrog at the archives in Llangefni and was told that the Church in Wales hadn't shared their records to go on the IGI - although a lot of chapels have. The one I tracked down certainly wasn't on there.

If you were able to travel to Llangefni they have a very helpful archivist and you get to look through the original baptism records for Llanfwrog in a very old book. Its lovely! Alternatively they might look him up for you if you phoned. There were only about half a dozen births per year in the parish so it wouldn't take long. I presume they have a similar book for Llanfaethlu if it turns out not to be Llanfwrog. Their phone number is 01248 752080.

Best of luck,

Fiona 
Armitage, Austin, Bray, Brogden, Cawthrey, Cox, Fielding, Gill, Hemingway, Hutchinson Jackson, Kay / Kaye, Marsden, Marshall, Midgley, Moore, Naylor, Peel, Powell, Priestley, Scott, Sharp, Shooter, Spencer, Stead, Tuke, Wade, Ward / Warde, Wightman and Wood - all from within a 15 mile radius of Leeds. I could draw a circle on an OS map with villages of origin!

Offline angelb

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: David JONES b Llanfwrog, AGY 1839
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 05 August 06 23:29 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that information Fiona. I will ring during the week as I am in Sydney and it will be some time till I get back to the UK
Angela