Author Topic: BAILEY arrivals, 1857 &1860  (Read 4602 times)

Offline DougNZ

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: BAILEY arrivals, 1857 &1860
« Reply #18 on: Monday 22 April 19 20:26 BST (UK) »
Fantastic, David.  I met your great-uncle, John, when he was in NZ (he was great mates with my grandfather) and stayed with Anne & Vernon and met Hazel & Robyn when I was in the UK last.  I also met Neil and Rae, and their families.

The Somerset connection is historical, with James Alexander Bailey's father and grandfather, etc, coming from Taunton.  Whilst we are a Westcountry family, we are specifically a Somerset family.  The Bailey Family (of Somerset) fb page is https://www.facebook.com/groups/550117938724601/  Part of its reason for existance is to attract Baileys from Somerset and to entice them to take Y-DNA tests for us to try and find early cousins.

Offline DavidTRB

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 22 April 19 22:33 BST (UK) »
This is v good to know. I only met John, Hazel and Ann once or twice. Through my Uncle Christopher when I was in my late teens/early 20's. (I was born 1967).
Did you know John's sister Brenda only died in the last couple of years, well into her 90's.

Thanks for the link. I have asked to join. It would be good to connect with the Somerset family.
I have been to NZ three times. But I didn't know about/wasn't interested in the family when I was there first age 21.
On my last visit in 2002 I met up with Ian Bailey, he introduced me to several family members in the Palmerston North / Fielding / Ohakea area. I also met some relatives in Wellington. Unfortunately I didn't note down who I met, and it was before the days of social media. At that time unfortunately I didn't have the family tree clear in my mind at that time, so couldn't place people.
Ian did take me to see the graves of some of my great great Uncles in Fielding and Sanson, which I found surprisingly emotional!
Is (*) still alive do you know?
He introduced to someone who remembered as a child visiting my grandmother when she worked in the Midland hotel In Wellington in the 1950's. She came to NZ to connect with the family.

I have photo of all the great Uncles, which I can only assume was taken in NZ in the 1890's. A major trip for the two London based brothers. Who must have heard about their NZ brothers all their lives but never met since children. I'd be happy to share it with you, or should I put it on the FB page?

My nephew has a job in NZ starting this September. My sister's family and I may come out to NZ to visit later next year.

The more I look into the family tree I am not surprised I was drawn to there, as is he. The major mass/gravity of the family is there!!

(*) Moderator Comment:
Edited in accordance with RootsChat policy of not publishing details of living people here, or details of people who may still be living. This is to protect all concerned from spam, identity abuse, internet abuse, etc, etc.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

Offline DougNZ

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 22 April 19 22:43 BST (UK) »
So great to have made contact, David.  Ian is the family historian, having collected details on all of James Alexander Bailey's descendants - a mammoth task!  I am more the expert on the UK family history and Ian's understudy on NZ stuff.  Ian is very much alive and still going strong.  He will enjoy seeing you pop up on fb.  I did not know about Brenda; thank you for the update.

I'll make contact through messenger and find out about your nephew and your possible trip.

Offline DavidTRB

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 22 April 19 22:46 BST (UK) »
Yes messenger will be easier.

Are you NZ or UK based?

Good to hear Ian is still alive.

Good to hear you know of the UK connections. I'd like to be in contact with Neil and Rae's descendants.

Offline DougNZ

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 23 April 19 01:16 BST (UK) »
I'm NZ-based.