Author Topic: Computer Experts - HELP!!!!  (Read 13648 times)

Offline erin21

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Olive Grove Assisi
    • View Profile
Computer Experts - HELP!!!!
« on: Saturday 05 August 06 21:55 BST (UK) »
Hello there all you computer experts I need your help.  My computer is very sick. It is sluggish ,hanging doing all kinds of odd things and I think it may be going to fail on me.  I think the time has come to maybe look at a new base unit. I have all the other necessary items so will only need this. 

My dilemma is I think I will order on line from Dell but am not sure what specifications I will need to keep me going ""speedily" for the next 4 yrs or so.

Can any one advise me what I need to look for when purchasing. I have Windows XP at present but a small memory.  also what does Celeron mean.

Help!!!!

Erin
Butler  Wexford .   Smyth  Cavan.    Dooley  Liverpool.   McKay Liverpool.    Kennedy  Manchester.     Walsh  Cheshire.   Mericks  Whitehaven.   Houghton  Ashton in Makerfield.  Torpey  Cork.    Duffy  Cortaghard, Co Monaghan.   Mc Cabe   Kilkit, Co Monaghan. Jackson  Latully, Co Cavan.

Offline RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
Re: COMPUTER EXPERTS HELP!!!!
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 05 August 06 22:07 BST (UK) »
Celeron is the name of the CPU (ie main processor) in some ways it is a cut down version of other higher priced chips.

What you should be looking for ?  depends very much on what you want the machine to do (and your budget)

If basic word processing/email/browing some web sites then a basic machine would suit your needs - you could possibly get away with upgrading the memory in your current machine.

If you are into games especially graphics intensive FPS (first person shooters) then you will need a much more powerful machine.

You need to get a good processor, good memory (consider 1 Gig as minimum) good or reasonable hard drive - if you are going to play any games at all or use your machine for video or showing dvd's then a seperate graphics card

Offline RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 05 August 06 22:15 BST (UK) »
This wikipedia entry explains all about the celeron Chips
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Celeron

Offline erin21

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Olive Grove Assisi
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 05 August 06 22:30 BST (UK) »
Falkryn

Thank you for the info. I do not need any games play.  I usually just browse the web, e mail, word process etc. I dont think my computer could stand another memory upgrade. Its old by computer standards and has already had a new hard drive windows xp etc which all cost me the price of a new unit!!

Erin
Butler  Wexford .   Smyth  Cavan.    Dooley  Liverpool.   McKay Liverpool.    Kennedy  Manchester.     Walsh  Cheshire.   Mericks  Whitehaven.   Houghton  Ashton in Makerfield.  Torpey  Cork.    Duffy  Cortaghard, Co Monaghan.   Mc Cabe   Kilkit, Co Monaghan. Jackson  Latully, Co Cavan.

Offline RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 05 August 06 22:36 BST (UK) »
Thank you for the info. I do not need any games play.  I usually just browse the web, e mail, word process etc.

a decent basic unit would suit your needs

I dont think my computer could stand another memory upgrade.
what are the specs of your current machine ?

Its old by computer standards and has already had a new hard drive windows xp etc which all cost me the price of a new unit!!

I hope the "etc" was a lot, because the rest shouldn't have come to that much although XP is probably the costliest piece of equipment there.

Offline erin21

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Olive Grove Assisi
    • View Profile
Re: Computer Experts - HELP!!!!
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 05 August 06 22:51 BST (UK) »
It cost me £208 for repair. Not sure how to find the specs can you refresh my memory. These Computer courses are good if only I could remember all I am told !!

Erin

Offline downside

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Make my day
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 06 August 06 00:15 BST (UK) »
Hi Erin

You can find your current spec by clicking on:

Start->Settings->Control Panel and then click on the System icon.

This will tell you what your processor is and how much memory you have installed under the Computer section.

If you click on the Hardware tab and then the Devices button that will provide information about the various hardware you have installed.

Your present computer may not necessarily be failing as such and there are ways of analysing what could be wrong with it.  If you have not defragmented your hard drive for a long while it might be worthwhile doing that:

Start->Accessories->System Tools->Disk Defragmentor

Possibly you have acquired a virus or some other piece of garbage that is using up your resources so you should try downloading a free spyware program like Windows Defender from Microsoft to check whether there is an illegal program running on your system.

In my experience computers do not start running slowly without a reason so try running some tests to see why it has suddenly become slower.

If you hold down the following 3 keys Ctrl + Alt + Delete
this will bring up Windows Task Manager.

It will display how many processes are running and what resources you are currently using.  Make a note of all the processes and go on the Internet and type in the name of the process into a Google search and click on a link to see what that process does.  Possibly you will find a process that does not need to be running but is using up resources.

downside

Sussex: Floate, West
Kent: Tuffee
Cheshire: Gradwell
Lancashire: Gradwell

UK Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Arquebus

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 06 August 06 00:23 BST (UK) »

I agree with Downside that PCs don't normally slow up for nothing

Rather than Defender, you could try the trial version of Prevx1....if you have picked up something nasty in your PC, it will find it and stop it from running, plus it will get rid of it.

I'm not sure about Defender....so far it hasn't caught me anything, whereas Prevx1 and Avast have both dug out deep rooted nasties.

Al.
ENFIELD...Colchester, DEARY & DIX...Norfolk & Oz, SLOLEY / SYMONS...Fremington Devon, BAKER...Deopham Norfolk, BANTACK...Ixworth, ALLISON...Suffolk / ALLISTON / ELLISTON/E...North East Essex, HOW /HOWE...North East Essex, SWALES..York / Middlesboro,METCALFE...York,  WOODS / MOLLETT / GREEN....Norwich, BRATTY...N.Ireland (Derry and Belfast), MORGAN...Bicknor / Coleford Glos. & Middlesboro. FENN / WENDEN / ROOKARD....North East Essex. SNOW...Hampstead & Devon. BULL...Colchester.

Offline downside

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Make my day
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 06 August 06 01:59 BST (UK) »
Hi Erin

The problem for anyone considering whether to by a new PC at the moment is whether it will be compatible with the new Windows Vista operating system.  Currently it is not being shipped out with new PC's but if you by a new PC with Windows XP pre-installed it will probably be out of date in a couple of years or you will have to pay for an upgrade.

So have a look at the Microsoft site and see what spec you will require to run Vista.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsvista/default.aspx

Windows XP will be continued to be supported for a number of years I expect but in the long term you need to make sure your new base unit will be able to cope with Vista.

downside
Sussex: Floate, West
Kent: Tuffee
Cheshire: Gradwell
Lancashire: Gradwell

UK Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk