Author Topic: INTERNET Connection problems, Big Time !!  (Read 12327 times)

Offline erin21

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Olive Grove Assisi
    • View Profile
INTERNET Connection problems, Big Time !!
« on: Sunday 06 August 06 17:44 BST (UK) »
Does any one suffer as much as me with getting a connection to the internet?

I have been with Tiscali for about 2 years and must have made millions!!!! of calls to them about this. At the moment I am connected the only way possible with the phone of the hook!!! this is supposed to be broad band. Does anyone have any way of telling me if I have the correct SETTINGS on my system. The whole thing is a daily nightmare to me.

Erin
Butler  Wexford .   Smyth  Cavan.    Dooley  Liverpool.   McKay Liverpool.    Kennedy  Manchester.     Walsh  Cheshire.   Mericks  Whitehaven.   Houghton  Ashton in Makerfield.  Torpey  Cork.    Duffy  Cortaghard, Co Monaghan.   Mc Cabe   Kilkit, Co Monaghan. Jackson  Latully, Co Cavan.

Offline billybob

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: INTERNET CONNECTION PROBLEMS BIG TIME !!
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 06 August 06 17:49 BST (UK) »
have you got filters fitted to every socket with an appliance attached ie phone, fax etc.? I seem to remember 1 in the past where someones sister had a phone in her bedroom but no one knew about it  :-[ and some one was having nightmares trying to connect to internet.  Also if you have call waiting switched on this can play havoc so I heard.
Bamford - Middleton, Lancashire
Bidwell (all Variations of) - Norfolk, Cambridgeshire, Suffolk and Lancashire

Online bearkat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 06 August 06 18:02 BST (UK) »
I am with Tiscali.
Had dreadful problems with computer crashing with an external modem.
Things much better now with new computer with internal modem.
Tiscali have 2 help lines.  If you can get beyond the first one you can speak to the experts who have sorted out problems very quickly.
Middx - VAUS, ROBERTS, EVERSFIELD, INMAN, STAR, HOLBECK, WYATT, BICKFORD, SMITH, REDWOOD
Hants - SMALL, HAMMERTON, GRIST, FRYER, TRODD, DAGWELL, PARKER, WOODFORD, CROUTEAR, BECK, BENDELL, KEEPING, HARDING, BULL
Kent - BAYLY, BORER, MITCHELL, PLANE, VERNON, FARRANCE, CHAPMAN, MEDHURST, LOMAX, WYATT, IDEN
Devon - TOPE, BICKFORD, FOSTER
YKS - QUIRK, McGUIRE, BENN
Nott/Derbs - SLACK
Herts - BARNES
L'pool- PLUMBE
 All UK census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Jason Ridge

• RootsChat Extra
  • Genealogy Newbie !
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 06 August 06 18:06 BST (UK) »
To be fair, Tiscali are a load of rubbish, ive had freinds use Tiscali and within 2 months theyve changed !...

try not to use AOL either i was on AOL for 2 years... had no other choice really.. and the service is just as bad !!.. plus the telephone help lines are crap too !!!

Just my 2pence worth :)
Thankyou Please !

Offline Arquebus

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: INTERNET Connection problems, Big Time !!
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 06 August 06 20:13 BST (UK) »
Bear in mind that virtually whoever you are with, the majority of Broadband providers use British Telecom plant....this means cables (both overhead and underground) and the Exchanges.

I understand from BT that providers such as Tiscali etc, do not as yet have access to the plant.

So, this effectively means that if you have Tiscali as a Broadband provider, they are coming in on a BT line which equals "Split responsibility".

If say, the line gets broken, Tiscali don't repair it, BT do.....and you try getting them there for someone who doesn't use BT......It is bad enough with BT Broadband and the BT Telephony...again it is split responsiblity.

I have done away with all BT software and modems, plus I have disabled the modem inside the PC (because they can still be affected by 'diallers') and I use a Netgear Router with a built-in firewall.

BillyBob is absolutely correct in saying fit microfilters to every socket that is using a phone or fax....but bear in mind these can develop faults....I had two microfilter failures which gave similar problems, ie noise, faulty phone, faulty broadband etc.

Good Luck, Al.
ENFIELD...Colchester, DEARY & DIX...Norfolk & Oz, SLOLEY / SYMONS...Fremington Devon, BAKER...Deopham Norfolk, BANTACK...Ixworth, ALLISON...Suffolk / ALLISTON / ELLISTON/E...North East Essex, HOW /HOWE...North East Essex, SWALES..York / Middlesboro,METCALFE...York,  WOODS / MOLLETT / GREEN....Norwich, BRATTY...N.Ireland (Derry and Belfast), MORGAN...Bicknor / Coleford Glos. & Middlesboro. FENN / WENDEN / ROOKARD....North East Essex. SNOW...Hampstead & Devon. BULL...Colchester.

Offline downside

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Make my day
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 07 August 06 12:28 BST (UK) »
Hi Erin

I have a next door neighbour that signed up to Tiscali Broadband.  Their connection kept dropping after being on-line for only a few minutes.  I advised them to get Tiscali to contact BT about the quality of the line and they managed to resolve the problem after a couple of weeks.

Having to take the phone off the hook whilst connecting to the internet is definitely not right - I've never heard of that one.  I never did that when I had dialup either.

I'd change your ISP if I were you.  I've been with Virgin.net for several years - firstly dialup and then Broadband and have never had any problems.  I'm sure there are many other ISP's out there that offer a better service than Tiscali.

downside
Sussex: Floate, West
Kent: Tuffee
Cheshire: Gradwell
Lancashire: Gradwell

UK Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline erin21

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Olive Grove Assisi
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 08 August 06 20:15 BST (UK) »
Downside
That sounds just like me. I have had the line checked by BT through Tiscali several times the last time was 2 weeks ago. For a few days all goes well then back to square one!!. Tiscali said it was probably because I was using a line up the stairs from the hall to the bedroom, so today BT came and installed the main telephone socket in the bedroom  £110 . Wow straight on came the internet while the guy was here, but after he had gone it went off again. I have rang Tiscali AGAIN and he has done some check and said there is a problem with the line and he is going to contact BT. He said the line is not catching broadband. I am baffled and frustrated,the guy was actually getting the ok when here today that the line was ok!!!

So here I am again phone off the hook catching a connection whenever I can!

Erin
Butler  Wexford .   Smyth  Cavan.    Dooley  Liverpool.   McKay Liverpool.    Kennedy  Manchester.     Walsh  Cheshire.   Mericks  Whitehaven.   Houghton  Ashton in Makerfield.  Torpey  Cork.    Duffy  Cortaghard, Co Monaghan.   Mc Cabe   Kilkit, Co Monaghan. Jackson  Latully, Co Cavan.

Offline Jason Ridge

• RootsChat Extra
  • Genealogy Newbie !
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 08 August 06 20:38 BST (UK) »
Change ISP !... Tiscali are useless !... Dont use AOL either if you can help it ! lol there just as poo !

;)
Thankyou Please !

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 08 August 06 20:40 BST (UK) »
This site is very useful:

http://www.adslguide.org.uk/

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***