Author Topic: INTERNET Connection problems, Big Time !!  (Read 12320 times)

Offline erin21

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Olive Grove Assisi
    • View Profile
Re: INTERNET Connection problems, Big Time !!
« Reply #27 on: Friday 01 September 06 18:33 BST (UK) »

You are paying for a landline broadband ADSL connection so all you can do is keep complaining until it is resolved.  They fact that it worked perfectly well for several days would suggest something has happened recently.  Possibly BT have done something out in the street or at the exchange that has altered your line?  Try going further up the chain of command at BT to compalin and see if that yields a better result.

downside

Downside

Yes I agree I should be able to resolve this but its so frustrating no one wants to be responsible for fixing it. I think I shall sell my BT shares !!!!

Erin
Butler  Wexford .   Smyth  Cavan.    Dooley  Liverpool.   McKay Liverpool.    Kennedy  Manchester.     Walsh  Cheshire.   Mericks  Whitehaven.   Houghton  Ashton in Makerfield.  Torpey  Cork.    Duffy  Cortaghard, Co Monaghan.   Mc Cabe   Kilkit, Co Monaghan. Jackson  Latully, Co Cavan.

Offline downside

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Make my day
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Friday 01 September 06 23:13 BST (UK) »
Hi Erin

Selling your shares might scare them into action.  :)

downside
Sussex: Floate, West
Kent: Tuffee
Cheshire: Gradwell
Lancashire: Gradwell

UK Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

indiapaleale

« Reply #29 on: Friday 01 September 06 23:27 BST (UK) »
Hi Erin,
I'm in the US but have had a very similar experience.

I have ADSL through an internet provider (ISP)...but the actual line belongs to the local phone company.

The ADSL would go down 10-20-50 times a day.....I had to go through the internet provider even though I knew that the problem was noise on the line ...(I used to work for the phone company and know these things...!) The ISP assured me that the phone co was aware of the prob.

It took me a year to get my line cleared......when a wonderful technician (from the phone co.)  chap came out and found a short in the line......about 300 yards from my house......(we have overhead wire)

You just have to keep on to your ISP....every day ...until they get someone to fix it.

Tis a pain...but I am now up and running 24/7

Perseverance pays off!

Best of Luck....hope you get it fixed.

India

Offline erin21

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Olive Grove Assisi
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Wednesday 20 September 06 20:32 BST (UK) »
India
Thanks for your help. I perservered as you said (not easy) and so far I have a connection hope it lasts!!!

Erin
Butler  Wexford .   Smyth  Cavan.    Dooley  Liverpool.   McKay Liverpool.    Kennedy  Manchester.     Walsh  Cheshire.   Mericks  Whitehaven.   Houghton  Ashton in Makerfield.  Torpey  Cork.    Duffy  Cortaghard, Co Monaghan.   Mc Cabe   Kilkit, Co Monaghan. Jackson  Latully, Co Cavan.

Offline Zeb

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Wednesday 20 September 06 20:44 BST (UK) »
Without readng through 3 pages, have you tried disconnecting everything that uses the phone line (this includes Sky TV) some burgular alarm systems use the phone line - just in case you've got one such system.

Even remove all the micro filters.

Now take the computer to the master phone socket and plug in one micro filter and a corded phone (do not use a cordless!!!) and see how that goes. If you still get problems try another micro filter. Still get problems try another corded phone.

This will eliminate any of the cabling inside your property.

Still get problems come back and we'll move onto the next procedure (I used to work for BT Yahoo tech help)
Derby: WOODCOCK (Donnington)
Devon: HARRIS (Plymouth)
Lancashire: DERRICK
Lincolnshire: CROPPER, WOODCOCK (Boston)
London: BARKER, DUGGIN, HARRIS, HINTON, HULBERT, WHITE
Wales: HARRIS, PRITCHARD (Pembrokeshire)
Warwickshire: DERRICK, WOODCOCK
Desperate for my Woodcocks from Birmingham!

Offline erin21

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Olive Grove Assisi
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Wednesday 20 September 06 22:23 BST (UK) »
Zeb

Thanks. Yes I did most of those things my phones are all corded (old fashioned)  The only thing I cannot do is carry the computer downstairs to my Main socket as I couldnt carry it. I have just paid £94 for a new socket in my bedroom. I have all my computer set up here.. If it goes again I think I shall throw in the towel !!!!

Erin

Offline Zeb

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Thursday 21 September 06 12:38 BST (UK) »
Have you got anyone who can carry it down for you?

Having a new socket installed wouldn't fix the problem because other lins are still in place around the house.

For example, if the problem was being caused by a loose wire in the extension socket in your living room then installing the bedroom extension won't remove the problem. The loose wire in the living room will still be there causing a headache. The whole idea of testing the computer on the master socket effectively removes all internal wiring from the picture. If the internet works fine from there then you know the problem is inside somewhere. If you still get the problem then it would be up to BT to come out and fix the problem because you've removed all your property from the equation.

I know BT won't come out until everything has been tried. If they then send an engineer out and the fault is outside they foot the bil. If you request an engineer to come out and the problem is on your property the engineer will more than likely bill you for the call out and for any repairs he makes. If you test everything properly and the engineer comes out and the fault is on your property its unlikely you will be billed.

Cables do deteriorate with time. Do you know where all of them are laid? Do any run under carpets or rugs? If yes then its highly possible that with time and people walking over them that the cables are showing.

Offline erin21

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Olive Grove Assisi
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Thursday 21 September 06 22:19 BST (UK) »
Zeb
The cable start at the front window goes in front of the door round the corner and into the house where there is a small oval shaped device the cable then goes about another 3 feet to the main socket in the porch. When BT came and installed a new socket in my bedroom (because Tiscali told me the fault lay in my extension cable trailing from the main socket up to my bedroom) they brought the cable from the front window around to the back of the house and up to the bedroom (all External)

When BT came to the house about a month ago to check everything the bt broadband engineer brought his lap top and checked every thing. He found the fault over the road in an underground cable  said something about noise levels were only set at 3 and were not picking up broadband he set them at 38 and said you wont get any more than 1.1mbps as the connection will go off if you try!!!

All went well for about a week then back to square 1 noise on the line and no connection!!!

Is any of this making sense? as it sure leaves me very puzzled!!

Erin

Offline Zeb

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Thursday 21 September 06 23:01 BST (UK) »
I didn't realise an engineer had already been out and looked at something.

I think the "noise level" the engineer was referring to was the signal to noise level, or SNR for short.

If the SNR is too far out of range then you'll either have too strong a signal or too low a signal. I know with Telewest the cable modems need to be within a certain range. If the signal is too strong or too weak they can malfunction.

I advise you to contact BT and tell them you would like another engineer out to test the line. I would also request they perform whats called a "whoosh" test as they can do this while you're on the line. All it does is send a series of signals down your line and they measure the quality of them when they bounce back. A bit like radar.

Keep a log of every complaint you make - times, dates, what happened as a result, what was said etc. If this goes on too long then mention Ofcom - chances are BT will start doing something then as Ofcom regulate BT and other communications companies.

Trivia: Did you know BT call agents are allowed to offer one month free line rental for every call they receive as a gesture of good will?