Author Topic: INTERNET Connection problems, Big Time !!  (Read 12319 times)

Offline erin21

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Olive Grove Assisi
    • View Profile
Re: INTERNET Connection problems, Big Time !!
« Reply #36 on: Sunday 24 September 06 22:18 BST (UK) »
Zeb

Thank you for your help. the only problem I have with reporting any fault to BT is that when I ring I get all the options etc and when I finally get to a place where I think I am able to speak I get the message sorry you do not have your broadband with BT so you must go through Tiscali !!!! and so I ring Tiscali and they say BT are testing the line!!! and so it goes on !!! if you see what Imean  how many tests do they need to perform !!!!!!!!

Erin
Butler  Wexford .   Smyth  Cavan.    Dooley  Liverpool.   McKay Liverpool.    Kennedy  Manchester.     Walsh  Cheshire.   Mericks  Whitehaven.   Houghton  Ashton in Makerfield.  Torpey  Cork.    Duffy  Cortaghard, Co Monaghan.   Mc Cabe   Kilkit, Co Monaghan. Jackson  Latully, Co Cavan.

Offline Zeb

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Monday 25 September 06 08:15 BST (UK) »
My next step would be to call Ofcom and explain to them how long this has been going on and what has been done and also how frustrated you are with it all.
Derby: WOODCOCK (Donnington)
Devon: HARRIS (Plymouth)
Lancashire: DERRICK
Lincolnshire: CROPPER, WOODCOCK (Boston)
London: BARKER, DUGGIN, HARRIS, HINTON, HULBERT, WHITE
Wales: HARRIS, PRITCHARD (Pembrokeshire)
Warwickshire: DERRICK, WOODCOCK
Desperate for my Woodcocks from Birmingham!

Offline erin21

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Olive Grove Assisi
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Monday 25 September 06 17:35 BST (UK) »
Zeb

Thanks I think something may have triggered a response. I have had text messages on a daily basis from Tiscali telling me BT have fixed the line. It has started to work again!!!! Watch this space !!! I shall bear your advice in mind for future reference.
Erin
Butler  Wexford .   Smyth  Cavan.    Dooley  Liverpool.   McKay Liverpool.    Kennedy  Manchester.     Walsh  Cheshire.   Mericks  Whitehaven.   Houghton  Ashton in Makerfield.  Torpey  Cork.    Duffy  Cortaghard, Co Monaghan.   Mc Cabe   Kilkit, Co Monaghan. Jackson  Latully, Co Cavan.

Offline erin21

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Olive Grove Assisi
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Wednesday 25 April 07 22:08 BST (UK) »
My nightmare has returned!!!!!

I went away for a week and when I returned all my problems with Internet connections returned the same as before. I am now 2 wks down the line with my complaints to Tiscali. I could write a book on the telephone conversations I have had in those 2 weeks!!! Last week a BT engineer came to my house checked all the lines said all ok every thing worked for the afternoon then hey presto back to square one. He's coming again to morrow after trying for another week to explain things to Tiscali.

I am thinking of switcing to BT and going Wireless but I'm not sure if my computer is capable of accepting wireless.  Does any one out there know how I can confirm this and what is the procedure for switching to another provider. My contract with Tiscali is finished .

Erin ::) ::) ::) ::) ??? ??? ???

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Thursday 26 April 07 00:27 BST (UK) »
We've had NTL (which is now Virgin Media) for years and never had any problems.  At our previous house we were on cable, but even here where we have a BT landline, we have never had any problems.  If your contract with Tiscali is finished, I'd try Virgin Media.

Liz

Offline erin21

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Olive Grove Assisi
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Thursday 26 April 07 13:19 BST (UK) »
Thanks Liz

Guess what Bt never came this morning after Tiscali arranging an appointment and me taking off work.  Big angry telephone call followed with Tiscali and now they want to come to morrow.   grrrrrrrrrrr  Do you know anything about wireless compatibility exchange being near the house etc//

Erin ??? ???

Offline downside

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Make my day
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Thursday 26 April 07 14:18 BST (UK) »
I think there is some confusion here about wireless broadband.  It just means you can connect PC's around the house without wires to a central PC that connects to the internet using an ADSL connection to a wallport, the same as what you are doing now, more or less.

Read this simple article for more information.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/webwise/askbruce/articles/connect/whatisbb_1.shtml
Sussex: Floate, West
Kent: Tuffee
Cheshire: Gradwell
Lancashire: Gradwell

UK Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Thursday 26 April 07 14:36 BST (UK) »
Do you know anything about wireless compatibility exchange being near the house etc//

Erin

Not a clue!!

Liz

Offline trish251

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Friday 04 May 07 16:17 BST (UK) »
Wireless as I know it, will not fix your problems. We have a wireless ADSL router (which I think is the modem as well). It connects by cable to the telephone plug. 3 of our computers connect to this router via a wireless link (no cables needed  :) ). Each computer has to have a radio card to provide the link.

The use of radio/wireless would have allowed you to have the computer upstairs & the phone downstairs, but as you have resolved this via a phone connection upstairs, it is not needed.

There is, I believe a maximum number of devices that can be attached to a phone line running adsl. I doubt you are near this, but given that a phone call interferes with your adsl, it may be worth checking.

Trish
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk