Author Topic: INTERNET Connection problems, Big Time !!  (Read 10132 times)

Offline dinie

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: INTERNET Connection problems, Big Time !!
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 08 August 06 21:11 BST (UK) »
I have heard many complaints against Tiscali, both their connection and customer services.

I am with Virgin and have not had any problems with their service. There is also no contract term so you are not tied to them if you don't like them.

http://virgin.net/internetaccess

Good luck with getting your problem sorted

Nadine
Census information is Crown Copyright - www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
ADAMS - Kent/Sussex, BROOKS - Buckinghamshire/Northamptonshire. GASCOYNE/GASKINS - Buckinghamshire/Northamptonshire. GOULD - Derbyshire/Lancashire. HILL - Hampshire/Kent/Lancashire/Limerick. MARK - Buckinghamshire/Cumberland/Lancashire. WILCOX - Buckinghamshire/Northamptonshire. WITTONBROOKES/WITTENBROKE - Northamptonshire/Buckinghamshire. YATES - Canada.

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline erin21

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Olive Grove Assisi
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 17 August 06 21:29 BST (UK) »
Today a BT Broadband enginner came to the house and spent a considerable amount of time investigating my problem with broad band connection . He had grid lids up outside in the road and found a fault concerning noise levels. I dont fully understand it but apparently the level for our house was only 3 and was too low to pick up Broad band It is now 38 and I have Broad band at last hope fully to stay with no further problems. I am only receiving 1.1mbps but he said if I went up  over 2 I would not be able to get a connection again. Does this make sense to any one ??

Erin
Butler  Wexford .   Smyth  Cavan.    Dooley  Liverpool.   McKay Liverpool.    Kennedy  Manchester.     Walsh  Cheshire.   Mericks  Whitehaven.   Houghton  Ashton in Makerfield.  Torpey  Cork.    Duffy  Cortaghard, Co Monaghan.   Mc Cabe   Kilkit, Co Monaghan. Jackson  Latully, Co Cavan.

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline Arquebus

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 17 August 06 22:05 BST (UK) »
Can I take a guess that you are quiet a long way from the Exchange?

It's either that or there are a lot of other Broadband users in your vicinity.

Or....the cables are so poor they can't take any more pushed down them.
If you need to get 'high level' help from BT, I can give you some telephone numbers.

I have a similar situation inasmuch that I am about two / three miles from the Telephone Exchange.

Al.
ENFIELD...Colchester, DEARY & DIX...Norfolk & Oz, SLOLEY / SYMONS...Fremington Devon, BAKER...Deopham Norfolk, BANTACK...Ixworth, ALLISON...Suffolk / ALLISTON / ELLISTON/E...North East Essex, HOW /HOWE...North East Essex, SWALES..York / Middlesboro,METCALFE...York,  WOODS / MOLLETT / GREEN....Norwich, BRATTY...N.Ireland (Derry and Belfast), MORGAN...Bicknor / Coleford Glos. & Middlesboro. FENN / WENDEN / ROOKARD....North East Essex. SNOW...Hampstead & Devon. BULL...Colchester.

Offline erin21

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Olive Grove Assisi
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 17 August 06 22:52 BST (UK) »
Al

I do not know how far away from the exchange I am ,you may be right and maybe there are a lot of broadband users around, but then there must be lots of incidents where many businesses use broadband in an area. I don't understand the technicalities. Do you think I need to demand a better service than what I am being offered?

Erin
Butler  Wexford .   Smyth  Cavan.    Dooley  Liverpool.   McKay Liverpool.    Kennedy  Manchester.     Walsh  Cheshire.   Mericks  Whitehaven.   Houghton  Ashton in Makerfield.  Torpey  Cork.    Duffy  Cortaghard, Co Monaghan.   Mc Cabe   Kilkit, Co Monaghan. Jackson  Latully, Co Cavan.

Offline Arquebus

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 17 August 06 23:14 BST (UK) »
Erin, I pay for "Up to 2Mb Broadnband"....The 'Up To' is the crucial part.

I don't get 2Mb, but over 1Mb.

Really, it depends what BT can give you down the cable, rather than what your ISP (Tiscali?) sign you up for.

If Tiscali signed you up for 8Mb say, and BT's plant can only do 1.1Mb, you have an issue I would say, with Tiscali.

All these ISPs know what can be shoved along the cables and if the BT plant is 'incapable' of supplying it......BT use a 'tagging' system  ....Orange means there could be a problem with getting Broadband on a line.

Loads of us are getting stuffed by these ISPs....welcome to Rip-Off Britain.

I think you should invetsigate further.

Al.
ENFIELD...Colchester, DEARY & DIX...Norfolk & Oz, SLOLEY / SYMONS...Fremington Devon, BAKER...Deopham Norfolk, BANTACK...Ixworth, ALLISON...Suffolk / ALLISTON / ELLISTON/E...North East Essex, HOW /HOWE...North East Essex, SWALES..York / Middlesboro,METCALFE...York,  WOODS / MOLLETT / GREEN....Norwich, BRATTY...N.Ireland (Derry and Belfast), MORGAN...Bicknor / Coleford Glos. & Middlesboro. FENN / WENDEN / ROOKARD....North East Essex. SNOW...Hampstead & Devon. BULL...Colchester.

Offline erin21

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Olive Grove Assisi
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 17 August 06 23:22 BST (UK) »
Mmmmmmmm thank you for that I shall sleep on it!!

Erin

Offline downside

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Make my day
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 18 August 06 01:31 BST (UK) »
Hi Erin

Fingers crossed that you now have a stable connection.  The 'noise on the line' explains why your connection kept dropping.  I'm on 1.1mbps and it seems fast enough or lightening fast compared to dialup.

I guess another solution would be to go for cable provided by the likes of NTL or Telewest (there are many more).  They tend to sell a whole package television, video on demand, telephone calls etc. so your internet connection would just be part of that package.

You are plugged into the cable provider's network so you bypass BT altogether.

downside
Sussex: Floate, West
Kent: Tuffee
Cheshire: Gradwell
Lancashire: Gradwell

UK Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline erin21

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Olive Grove Assisi
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 18 August 06 17:31 BST (UK) »
Downside

Thanks for your help. I am still Connected!!!!!!

Erin

Offline erin21

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Olive Grove Assisi
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 31 August 06 21:16 BST (UK) »

I have done away with all BT software and modems, plus I have disabled the modem inside the PC (because they can still be affected by 'diallers') and I use a Netgear Router with a built-in firewall.

Al

Noise on the line again     line dropping     internet disconnecting when  a call comes in or the receiver is picked up!!!!!

What is a router? Does it connect to the phone line? How does it differ from a modem?

Erin