Author Topic: Descendants of Charles Gideon WINTER?  (Read 19789 times)

Offline fyremoon

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Descendants of Charles Gideon Winter?
« Reply #27 on: Thursday 10 August 06 00:55 BST (UK) »
WOW You've found their ship!!  That's very cool...  Old Charles' memory must've been a bit hazy by the time he wrote that letter, because it wasn't 1879 and nor was he 2 in 1871, he would've been 3-4 by then... but anyway, that sounds like them, how exciting!!  And he went to school in Victoria.

I had estimated from his letter his mother died about 1891 (he being 24), and you've found her death in 1890 - interesting that they were already in Tas., it says he 'cut town life and took up land in Tasmania'... so they've moved out of Launceston onto the land probably.

It's making more sense, but I'm yet to confirm my William connection.

Leigh x

Offline tropicalj

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • six grandkids
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Thursday 10 August 06 05:02 BST (UK) »
hello there Leigh

yes the only way to definately  know  is to get his birth certificate from 1839 in TEnby  will that have his mother and fathers name on it?  do you know?

you would have to beleive it is the same family  the sister eliza living with him and the aunt and uncle   just about seals it ?

on the golden falcon site  it has  that bit about james william winter dying in south africa in 1867  well that can't be charles gideons brother William Stephen death  because  in the letter he justs  says his brother William was in South AFrica when he John went there and then  he also states that his brother William was a Quaker and that he died but dosent say whether it was South Africa or where?.

Anyhow  I have got  a bit more to add for the  boys of Charles Gideon Winter which  I will post up later

regards jenn
When you search for ancestors, you find great friends!
I live in Townsville researching
TOWNSEND,PINNEGAR, STRANGE, PULLEN, GRIFFIN from Wiltshire,,
SHOEBRIDGE, VINALL, BRINDLE, Kent
BAYLEY, Dorset,Yorkshire,
HAIR, Durham,
CUMMINS, BROWNLESS from Yorkshire,
EDSALL,  Cornwall,
MORGAN, HENNESSY, BAKER,  Ireland.
VAN REYK Sri Lanka
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.au

Offline fyremoon

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Thursday 10 August 06 06:45 BST (UK) »
Hi Jenn... yes I agree with you about the james william winter in Sth Africa, that doesn't really match up...

I know that MY William's father's name was William from his marriage certificate, but I don't know his mother's name, to confirm if it was Sarah, and I've still not found William and Sarah Matilda's marriage anywhere (would've been pre-1837) to check her surname, to see if it was Rogers... going round in circles a bit, I will have to try and order a certificate of some kind and wait... meanwhile I'm waiting to hear back from my relo's about William's death.  Will update when I find out more.  Thanks for your efforts! 

L

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Thursday 10 August 06 08:02 BST (UK) »
Well,
 back to NAA we go for John's details and there they are.
He was born in launceston about Feb 1901
His mother liked ,at that time, to be known as Mary Ada and she lives at 16 Bennett St. Perth
Being underage, there is in the file a permission form signed by both parents on Jan 22nd 1917
He went to France and was discharged in 1919.
Sue
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Thursday 10 August 06 08:11 BST (UK) »
It is interesting to see that John Alexander was a farm laborer.
That william J. I found living near Charles Gideon at Busselton, was a farmer,
It makes the 'grandson of Charles' idea a possibility???William John????
Sue

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Thursday 10 August 06 08:16 BST (UK) »
Mmm..
Now I think maybe not.
Look at this
http://www.ww2roll.gov.au/script/veteran.asp?ServiceID=A&VeteranID=831801
Dates and birth places wrong
Sue

Offline tropicalj

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • six grandkids
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Thursday 10 August 06 08:34 BST (UK) »
Hey there Sue

maybe this chap  is on the 12 turned into 13 on the vogae that the Rev Charles Herny Winter talks about?

or a descendant from that area? of Wales

regards jenn
When you search for ancestors, you find great friends!
I live in Townsville researching
TOWNSEND,PINNEGAR, STRANGE, PULLEN, GRIFFIN from Wiltshire,,
SHOEBRIDGE, VINALL, BRINDLE, Kent
BAYLEY, Dorset,Yorkshire,
HAIR, Durham,
CUMMINS, BROWNLESS from Yorkshire,
EDSALL,  Cornwall,
MORGAN, HENNESSY, BAKER,  Ireland.
VAN REYK Sri Lanka
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.au

Offline fyremoon

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Thursday 10 August 06 08:56 BST (UK) »
I haven't looked into the William J story at all but, from that service record Sue, you'd think it likely they'd be somehow related, maybe a cousin or soemthing of Charles?  I haven't traced Joseph's path yet, I wonder if he might be William J's father...  I'm just bearing in mind that Charles' grandfather wasnt' originally from Wales, so unless he had brothers and sisters move there too (which is possible, I haven't looked into that yet), most of his father John's cousins would've probably been born in Somerset??  Just a guess really...

Hope to find more time to look further down all these trails...

Leigh

Offline fyremoon

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Thursday 10 August 06 23:02 BST (UK) »
"Another interesting thing is timothy  is at home till 1891 wales census  but he ups and marries and changes occupation to a draper in 1901  ''

hi there  I have made a mistake  here  TIMOTHY WINTER died 1895 in narbeth 
have also  corrected te birth year for elizabeth she was born 1841 midle name is rogers als0
sorry dont know where I was when  I put this there

regards jenn

Hi Jenn... I've had another look at this - I think perhaps you may have had it right in the first place about Timothy - William and Sarah's Timothy did marry quite late in life and died not too long afterwards according to CGW's letter.  The Timothy who died in 1895 *may* have been him, but I'm thinking it more likely that it was another Timothy, possibly William's brother.  There was a Timothy born in 1829 in Brompton Ralph, Somerset, I don't know if he also went to Wales, but he has the same parents as a William Winter born there in 1815.... sorry, *baptised* in 1815 and 1829, not necessarily born then.

Do you have the original info that made you think he upped and married and changed his profession?  What was the wife's name?  Where did they go?  Just that *MY* William (who we think/hope is Timothy's older brother) was a draper.

Which brings me to Elizabeth Rogers Winter... I don't think she was born in 1841.  I think she's the one listed on the 1851 census as being 15, b. abt 1836, and that she was baptised later, at the age of 5 or 6.  Of course I don't know what happened to her after 1851, I assume she'd have been married by the next census but to whom I have no idea.

What do you think?

L