Author Topic: FreeCEN/ GROS enigma. Can anyone help?  (Read 3665 times)

Offline skye

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
FreeCEN/ GROS enigma. Can anyone help?
« on: Tuesday 08 August 06 00:37 BST (UK) »
I would be grateful if anyone could explain to me how I can find my 3x greatgrandparents on FreeCen's 1841 cencus but not in Gros.

Offline Burrow Digger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: FreeCEN/ GROS enigma. Can anyone help?
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 08 August 06 02:37 BST (UK) »
GROS can only be access at http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/

BMD and census records - for which you must PPV (pay per view).

Some sites such as freeCEN are allowed to make transcriptions but I dont think they are allowed to show the original images. The images are copyrighted to the GROS.

Ancestry also had transcriptions - I believe this was done without GROS permission - but I'm not sure of the details.
BURROW, BICKHAM, EVANS, SULLEY, STONE - Devon
STEPHENS, MALLET, ADAMS - Cornwall
HANCOCK , BUSSON - Somerset
MCCALLUM, MCDIARMID, MCNEILL - Argyle, Scotland
WALLS, SUTHERLAND, SIMPSON - Orkney, Scotland
FAIRBAIRN - Fife, Scotland
THOMPSON - Aberdeen, Scotland

Offline JustJean

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 08 August 06 11:07 BST (UK) »
Hello Skye

If you posted name and age details or PM me the information I'd have a look for you.  If you have positively located your family on FreeCen but have been unable to find them through ScotlandsPeople then I suspect there has been a transcription error.  When searching on SP did you make full use of wildcards to broaden your search?

Best wishes
Jean

Offline JustJean

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 09 August 06 01:04 BST (UK) »
Hello Skye

Thanks for the PM.  I'm afraid it's a case of the spelling challenge. :)  In this instance if you use a wildcard approach to finding Rebekah (Rebecca etc) you'll have much better results.  No need to attempt to figure out every possible spelling combination and search on them individually if you simply remove the questionable letters and use an asterisk(*) to represent any or no letters.  A further search parameter is to use a question mark (?) to represent one unknown letter.....but in your case it's just easier to go for the maximum returns as Rebecca and variations is a somewhat rare name for Scotland.  Not likely to be pages and pages of returns  ;)

Sooooo.....if you search on Scotlands People in the 1841 census index for your family use:

Reb* DUTHIE and narrow it up to Kincardine since that is where they married and all the children listed in the IGI were born.  There is only one return.  In this instance her name is spelt Rebecca.

Best wishes
Jean