Author Topic: Wilsden (Bradford) Chapel  (Read 2990 times)

Offline Barry Emmott

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Wilsden (Bradford) Chapel
« on: Sunday 31 October 04 18:46 GMT (UK) »
My gt., gt., gt., grandfather, James Emmott (born 1798), was one of the group who organised and built the Primitive Methodist Chapel in Main Street, Wilsden, he also built Providence Mill. When he died in 1860 he was buried in the yard behind the chapel in the grave of his son, Michael Briggs Emmott, who had died in 1856, aged 30. When I visited the chapel in 1961 I saw and photographed their gravestone and that of John and Mary Emmott, who had died in 1891 and 1860 respectively, along with their daughter Sarah who died in 1847, aged 6 years. There were also a number of other gravestones and memorials of people who were not of my family.
When I returned to Wilsden a few years ago I found that the chapel was being converted into a private house and the gravestones were buried under tons of building rubble, only the very tops of the stones could be seen. I have tried as best I can, working from London, to discover whether the bodies were removed and reburied but have not been able to discover anything. My late father had contacted the local Church authorities (the building had been sold to the Catholic church) to arrange transfer of the headstones but never received any answers to his letters. I have tried to discover the present owner without success.
If anybody can provide me with any relevant information I would be very, very grateful.
(Lionel) Barry Emmott
http://mysite.freeserve.com/emmott-family
Emmott - Yorkshire, Hampshire and London
Alford - London
Muirhead
Longes

Offline Ticker

• User is no longer receiving email notifications.
  • RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Follow me on twitter @ShaunTymon.
    • View Profile
Re: Wilsden (Bradford) Chapel
« Reply #1 on: Monday 28 March 05 12:14 BST (UK) »
Hi Barry

Sorry we haven't been able to help you so far on this one. 

Have you made any progress,  or do you have any further details that could help someone to find what you are looking for?

Look forward to hearing from you.

Best wishes 

Ticker
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Barry Emmott

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 28 March 05 16:46 BST (UK) »
 :( Thanks for asking but no, I've had no success with this one.
Regards,
Barry
Alford - London
Muirhead
Longes

Offline woodydog

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 13 April 05 08:06 BST (UK) »
I've been trying to find out about this for ages as my ancestors were also buried here- I've had no luck I'm afraid!
I did consider writing to the present vicar of St. Matthews or contacting Albert Pratt the local undertaker on Main Street as his family have been in Wilsden for many years but I haven't plucked up the courage! Have you got Astrid Hansens book on Wilsden? Your family & Providence Mill are in it

All the best
Rose
Pratt- Catterick/Richmond N.Yorks & Wilsden/Halifax West Yorks
Maylor- Preston/ Poulton Le Fylde
Whitaker- Halifax
Dixon- London & Yorkshire
Booth-Middleton,Oldham,Royton,Lancs
Boyling-Oldham,Royton & Shropshire
Harris- Bradford, Prestwich Manchester
SMITH!! Kirkcaldy, Manchester
Sturgess-  Preston Candover, Hampshire & London
Nixon- London
Walters- London & Hampshire
Settle - Halifax & Brighouse
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Barry Emmott

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 13 April 05 09:00 BST (UK) »
 :) Hi Rose, thanks for your news. I have been in touch with all sorts of people about this but got nowhere. I keep meaning to buy Astrid Hansen's book but last time I was in Wilsden none of the shops which was open had it for sale. I must send her a cheque. Please let me know if you get anywhere further.
Have you any news about the conversion of Providence Mill into apartments ?
My gt gt gt grandfather, James Emmott, kept a journal which was a mixture of business accounts and diary. I have the journal and from time to time try to decipher his handwriting. Two of the pages refer to the plans for the Chapel, before it was even built. If you would care to send me a personal message with your ancestors names I may be able to tell you if they feature in the journal.
Regards,
Barry
Alford - London
Muirhead
Longes