Author Topic: 1841 census lookup for members of Mann family  (Read 5677 times)

Offline Derek C Goodwin

• RootsChat Member
  • The question is only easy if you know the answer!
    • View Profile
Re: 1841 census lookup for members of Mann family
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 13 December 16 00:08 GMT (UK) »
I hope this thread is still alive,

One of the children your looking for, Samuel Mann 1818 married my 3 x great aunt, Martha Ryder of Twyford born 1821 to John and Elizabeth Ryder. I have a lot of info if you are interested in the Ryder line.

Samuel and Martha adopted/fostered/looked after several children as well as bringing up their own. I am interested in their niece that they took in on the death of my 2nd great grandfather, Fred (Francis) Ryder in 1876. She is listed on the 1881 census living with Martha in Notts, Amelia Ryder born 1869 in mountsorrel, she was my 2nd great aunt.

Its always bugged me that I dont know what became of her. Any info would be nice. I also hope you are from the Mann family, we would be very distant kin!

Leicestershire: Inglesant. Ryder. Rider. Walford. Massey. Daykin/Daikin. Newbold/Newball. Hammonds.
Great Yarmouth: Gage/Gedge. Ives. Feasley. Peartree. Royall.
Northampton, Laxton Kings Cliffe. Hercock, Heircock. Harecock. Pointon. Baxter. Burfield.
And anyone else who knows me it would seem ;-)

Offline hwlambert

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 13 December 16 01:15 GMT (UK) »
Still alive and kicking here.
This is my husbands line. His grandmother was Amelia Mann c1881 to father George Mann, illegitimate son of Sophia Mann who later married George Buckland. This Amelia Mann ended up in Australia then on to New Zealand.
Give me some time to check what I have on this line and I will get back to you soon. Give me a reminder if I don't. If you have any questions please ask.

Offline hwlambert

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 07 January 17 00:48 GMT (UK) »
In 1861 my George Mann 12 and his sister Sophia Bucknall (Buckland) 8 were living with Samuel and Martha, their mother had died in February 1861 and her husband George Buckland had died in 1853 so they were alone.

In 1871 he is living with a cousin Edward Mann and his wife Elizabeth at 1 Granby Street

In 1881 George Mann is living as a lodger in the house of John Smith, the father of his first wife. He is still employed as a fishmonger and is living with new wife Sarah, son John (from first marriage), and two further children Martha (2yrs ) and James (1yr). Sarah's sister, Martha Houghton is living alone at 2 Jerrams Yard.

Several of George’s children lived with their aunt Martha Houghton (his wife’s unmarried sister), another name to check out.

One avenue you could try if you can’t find her in England is Australia or New Zealand.

In 1894 my George’s sister Sophia (Buckland) went to Melbourne with her niece Amelia Mann 11 (George’s daughter and my husband’s grandmother) and Elizabeth  Cullen to meet up with her husband James Cullen.

They were in Christchurch New Zealand by 1896.

Hope this gives you some food for thought.  It appears that some of George's children  were not living at home but living with other relatives.

Offline Derek C Goodwin

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 09 October 17 23:01 BST (UK) »
My mystery was solved, my Amelia Ryder died young, was solved on this board. Never imagined it could get emotional!

Your post was interested, I saw your Amelia and wondered if there had been some error in the census, these things are like detective work. I did think it showed the Manns were good people, they seem to have taken in the needy on several occasions.

You know Marthas dad was a Waterloo man? Was in a very famous action, !st Kings Dragoon!

Regards,

George-Bean
Leicestershire: Inglesant. Ryder. Rider. Walford. Massey. Daykin/Daikin. Newbold/Newball. Hammonds.
Northampton, Laxton Kings Cliffe. Hercock, Heircock. Harecock. Pointon. Baxter. Burfield.

Offline hwlambert

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 10 October 17 07:52 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that. I am glad you solved your mystery. Looks like there is more research for me to do. Thanks for the info on Martha's father.
Cheers, Heather

Offline Derek C Goodwin

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 10 October 17 19:22 BST (UK) »
Martha's Father was John Ryder of Barrow on Soar, Later twyford. It's my direct line so if you want any info please let me know. They were a remarkable family who did remarkable things.

http://bayimg.com/IaJgKaAgd

Offline hwlambert

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 10 October 17 22:23 BST (UK) »
Although not my husbands direct line I would love to know about her and her remarkable family. She seems to have taken care of many children including his Gr grandfather George.
Thanks George, I look forward to it.
Heather

Offline hwlambert

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 29 October 17 22:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi George,
Not sure if you got my PM but I would love a copy of the information you gave to the grandchildren.
They see like an interesting family.
Cheers, Heather

Offline Derek C Goodwin

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 30 October 17 19:04 GMT (UK) »
Ill be on it soon, spread myself a little thin at the moment, its close to the top of the heap xxx