Author Topic: 1901 Census Scotland - Margaret Gordon, Middlesbrough, England  (Read 3164 times)

Offline DS

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
1901 Census Scotland - Margaret Gordon, Middlesbrough, England
« on: Tuesday 08 August 06 20:20 BST (UK) »
In 1887 Margaret Brown born c1866 Middlesbrough, England married Alexander Gordon born c1856 Scotland.  In 1891 Alexander was a baker and he and Margaret were living in Middlesbrough with her parents.

Alexander and Margaret Gordon do not seem to appear on the 1901 England census and I am wondering if they were in Scotland.

Is it possible, please, for someone to check the 1901 Scotland census for a Margaret Gordon born in Middlesbrough c1866 who is married to Alexander Gordon born in Scotland c1856 (who is probably a baker) ?

They might also have with them Margaret's brother Isaac Brown and his wife Kathleen and Margaret's sister Louisa (who are also missing on the England census).

I am not sure whereabouts in Scotland Alexander was born and I could not find an "All Scotland" board to place the question on, so I have opted for this board only on the basis that it is the nearest to Middlesbrough.

DS
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline oursutherlands

• RootsChat Extra
  • My profile still has a large nose!
    • View Profile
Re: 1901 Census Scotland - Margaret Gordon, Middlesbrough, England
« Reply #1 on: Friday 11 August 06 19:29 BST (UK) »
Have done a search, and there is no property in Scotland where the two people you are looking for are found. Did not do a search for Margaret Brown though, sometimes women registered under their maiden name.

Sorry, but it at leasts rule out that they were under the same roof at that time.
Researching Sutherland (Walls and Flotta, Orkney), Mace (Berwick Upon Tweed) Taylor (Rothbury)

Offline DS

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: 1901 Census Scotland - Margaret Gordon, Middlesbrough, England
« Reply #2 on: Friday 11 August 06 20:07 BST (UK) »

Thank you very much for looking. 

It was always "a long shot" and the possibility can now be eliminated.

DS
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk