Author Topic: Malone Place & Picardy Avenue  (Read 5765 times)

Offline jomalube

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Malone Place & Picardy Avenue
« on: Tuesday 08 August 06 21:04 BST (UK) »
Does anyone have any idea where these streets are: I'm looking for details on 29 Malone Place and 31 Picardy avenue in Belfast October 1926.  Names I'm looking at are McClusky and Couchman.  Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Jo. ???
Couchman m Brennan-Belfast; Madden m Beattie
                                                (Cork)      (Fermanagh)

Offline lanshaw

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Malone Place & Picardy Avenue
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 21 September 06 00:20 BST (UK) »
For 29 Malone Place - this would refer to the Malone Place Hospital. Only closed as a medical facility in the last 10 years. Was in recent history part of the Belfast City Hospital Group. Situated across the railway line from the main City Hospital site on a short street at the bottom end of the Lisburn Road and the start of Sandy Row. Was one of the maternity facilities in Belfast for many years - I was born there myself!
Crew, Bleasby, Allcock, Preval

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 03 March 07 19:19 GMT (UK) »
Hello Jomalube,

I posted a message about 29, Malone Place on 12th February on the Genealogy Board of Belfast Forum, Look Up Please thread ... I've altered it slightly here so that you have it chronologically.

In 1884 the entry is shown as 29 & 31, Kildare, matron Rescue Home. I wonder if that was a Mrs or Miss Kildare or was the building called "Kildare" ? In 1900 the Home occupied 29-31 so the place must have had a good name as they were able to purchase the adjoining properties prior to the 1920s. During 1921-3 the property was a Rescue and Maternity Home - Miss Blackburn, matron. In the 1940 directory the Home appears to have sold off a couple of properties as it only occupied No. 31. Maybe it  was getting too much for Miss Blackburn. Well by 1950 Miss Blackburn had retired and Miss Hamilton was the Matron. In 1960 the Home was known as Malone Place Hospital .. Matron ..Miss D. Hamilton`Trendy titles appear to be the rage by 1970 - The Home's name had been changed to the Malone Place Practitioner's Maternity Hospital ... Miss R. E. Pelan .. Asst. Matron. The 1990 directory lists the Home as a Community Health Clinic.

In the late 19th Century Belfast had a Workhouse on the Lisburn Road but I imagine that a Rescue Home would have been similar ... they would have looked after the "fallen ladies" to use an expressikon of that era.

Chris

Offline Jennifer Thompson

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 03 January 16 21:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi don't know if this is still needed but my dad was born in1928 and lived in picardy avenue. This is just off Montgomery road on the cregagh road in East Belfast