Author Topic: Archibald Reid b.1785 Rutherglen  (Read 3717 times)

Offline vbede772

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Archibald Reid b.1785 Rutherglen
« on: Tuesday 08 August 06 22:02 BST (UK) »
Anyone with any information please contact me. I believe this is my g-g-g-grandfather. I would like to know more about his parents and this seemingly large cluster of Reids in Rutherglen generally.

What I know (or think I know  ;)):

Archibald Reid b.1785 Rutherglen d. bef 1851 Cambusnethan, collier. Lived in or near Wishaw by 1828.

He married Janet Hardy (or Hardie, Hardee)...probably around 1825...probably in Rutherglen. I don't know for sure who her parents were. Possibly her parents were named George and Ann---only basing this on naming patterns---so definitely a wild guess.

Archibald Reid and Janet Hardy had the following children:

Archibald REID b 19 FEB 1826 Probably Cambusnethan...maybe Rutherglen?
George b 9 Mar bapt 19 Apr 1828 Cambusnethan
Ann b 18 May bapt 13 Jun 1830 Cambusnethan
John b 4 Jun bapt 29 Jun 1834 Cambusnethan
Andrew b 20 Dec 1836 bapt 15 Jan 1837 Cambusnethan
Elisabeth Reid b abt 1839 Cambusnethan (from the 1851 census)
Janet Reid b abt 1843 Cambusnethan (from the 1851 census)

Archibald (younger) and George may have died before 1841.

Now, there is some confusion as to who Archibald's parents may have been. I believe his parents were Archibald Reid and Elizabeth Millar (Miller).

However, I have seen another unlisted, not contactable person  :( list Archibald's parents as John Reid and Janet White. This John Reid I believe is actually my Archibald's brother, and his wife is actually Janet Whitelaw. John and Janet did have a son named Archibald b. 6 Jun 1800 in Rutherglen. However, the 1841 census clearly says that the Archibald Reid marreid to Janet Hardy with the above children was b. 1785. Well, Archibald Reid and Elizabeth Millar had an Archibald in 1785 Rutherglen. Therefore, my assumption is that Archibald and Elizabeth are my g-g-g-g grandparents and not John Reid and Janet White(law).

I am related through Archibald and Janet Hardy's son, Andrew, bolded above. He came to the United States in 1860---probably to Maryland or Pennsylvania initially...yet to find any immigration or naturalization records. He was a coal miner. He married Anna Baird b.1842 Cape Breton, NS, Canada. She is the daughter of an Old Monkland family that left for Cape Breton in 1839 and moved to Pennsylvania in 1847.

They had 5 sons and lived in many places--Penn, Ohio, Missouri, Indiana, Michigan, before settling in Boone County, Iowa...Alexander Reid b.1868 in Akron, Ohio is my great grandfather. He was also a coal miner starting as young as 12 according to the Jackson, Michigan census of 1880. He died in 1916 in Lucas County, Iowa. In 1901 he had a son named Harry J. Reid who is my grandfather---d. July 1970, coal miner and railroad worker in Perry, Iowa...WWII veteran.

I owe many thanks to a few on this board who have helped me to get as far as I have, and the references to the births of the children of Archibald and Janet above are thanks to "Little Nell" and "Falkyrn". Also, many thanks to "AMBLY" who led me to Andrew's brother, John, in the 1881 census.

Jeff Reid, New York
Lanarkshire: Reid, Baird, Easton, Hardy
Ulster: Mitchell, Black, Conaway, Adkins
Unk UK: Bennett, Brown, Adams, Harmon, Holmes, Hatley, Beck, MacDougall, Slaughter, Reyburn
Glamorgan: Watts, Jones, Rees

Offline Janice M

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Archibald Reid b.1785 Rutherglen
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 12 August 06 03:56 BST (UK) »
This is the only one I could find.

HENRY REID 
JANET HARDIE
Marriage:  November 28th, 1823 in Polmont, Stirling, Scotland

Janice
Elder, Stewart, Johnston, Baskerville, Marks, Carson, Leitch, Bulloch, Thomson, Allen, Campbell, Gordon, Murray, Kelly, Chambers, Black, Cheyne, Youngson, Williamsdaughter, Anderson, Briggs, Pirie, Clark, Philp, Mannel, Lander, Rough, Lean, Bate, Brown, Oliver, Kitt, Shards, Bennet, Young, Petrie, Wylie, Herbertson, Martin, McAlister, Best, Ginn, Ross, McIntosh, McGillivray, Russell, Pettigrew, Fyfe, Barrie

Offline Margaret Russell

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 21 September 06 07:43 BST (UK) »
Archibald Reid who married Elizabeth Millar is my 4x gt grandfather.  I am willing to exchange any information.

Offline paulsplace2009

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 25 July 12 10:46 BST (UK) »
Hi there.

My name is Paul

I am a reid, and my reid ancestors all came from rutherglen, all the way back to the 1700s

please let me know if you get this message and we can look into this further, hopefully we will have a link

Thanks

Paul
REID
BROWN
KERR
COPELAND

GLASGOW AND ARGYLL
KERR - ANDERSTON(GLASGOW) & ARGYLL
REID/BROWN - GOVAN
COPELAND - GLASGOW

IRELAND
LEITCH
DUFFY

Offline katlace

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 14 December 15 14:28 GMT (UK) »
Dear Paul's Place2009 and VBEDE772,
I am a Reid also from Charleroi, Washington Co., Pa. Looks like we are all related tho Alexander Reid of Rutherglen, Scotland.
Archibald had a son John Reid 1834. His wife was Elizabeth Hunter.
Their son's name was James B Reid, his wife was Anna Elliot Ramsey Reid. They travelled to Canada with is brother, he was one of the 5. James B Reid was my Great-Great-Grandfather. They traveled to Charleroi, Washington Co. Pa.

Online Lodger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 14 December 15 15:22 GMT (UK) »
On the off chance that the original poster is still a member, this is an extract from the burial records of the old churchyard at Cambusnethan.

JANET REID, housewife, abode Hamilton, aged 61 years. Widow.
Parents -  ----- Hardie and Ann Mauchline.
Interred in the old churchyard on 14th March 1870.

I couldn't find any children of Archibald & Janet buried either in the churchyard or in the adjoining cemetery.
This may of course, not be the right Janet but going on the theory that the mother's name was Ann. too bad the father's Christian name wasn't supplied.
Paterson, Torrance, Gilchrist - Hamilton Lanarkshire. 
McCallum - Oban, McKechnie - Ross of Mull Argyll.
Scrim - Perthshire. 
Liddell - Polmont,
Binnie - Muiravonside Stirlingshire.
Curran, McCafferty, Stevenson, McCue - Co Donegal
Gibbons, Weldon - Co Mayo.
Devlin - Co Tyrone.
Leonard - County Donegal & Glasgow.

Offline kelseyodonnell

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 17 November 18 18:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Archibald Reid and Janet Hardie are my 4x great grandparents. From comparing the 1841 census records with a birth certificate I found for an Archibald Reid, Archibald's parents are most definitely Archibald Reid and Elizabeth Millar. I have been trying to trace Archibald Reid Snr b.1745 or b.1743 parents, however there are 2 records which could be his birth certificate. His parents are either John Reid and Elizabeth Bogle or James Reid and Janet Park. Both records show that an Archibald Reid was born in Rutherglen, so it is hard to tell which is the correct record.

I have really hit a brick wall - it would be so helpful if someone who has this information could please share it with me.

I also believe that Elizabeth Millar's parents were Patrick Millar and Margaret Sinclair, who originated from Shetland. This is only based upon other chat forums, and I have not found any documentation to support this. If anyone can also verify this that would be so helpful.

Thank you so much in advance!

Kelsey

Offline Margaret Russell

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 24 March 20 20:38 GMT (UK) »
Dear Paul's Place 2009 - I notice that you have a LEITCH mentioned in your list.  Where did your Leitch's come from?

Blessings Margaret