Author Topic: YOUNG or WILKS in Worcester or TUDGEY  (Read 11120 times)

Offline Jamie H

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: YOUNG or WILKS in Worcester or TUDGEY
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 26 March 08 06:13 GMT (UK) »
My Smiths were from Norfolk, then Essex, then Surrey. I had wondered if there was a Romany connection through them, but maybe not. The Tudgeys seem to be the route to follow.

Jamie
TUDGEY; STEVENS (Surrey); SMITH (Surrey, Essex, Norfolk); WILKS (Worcs); YOUNG (Worcs); COWLEY (Ireland, Surrey); GROVE (Hampshire); REEVES (Gloucs. Worcs.); RETFORD (Hampshire, Surrey); FAIRBROTHER (Kent); WEBB (Surrey, Bucks); WILLIAMS (Pembrokeshire). Nicol (Scotland);DOLLOWAY (Kent); BOX (Worcs).

Offline honey-roma88

• RootsChat Senior
  • Grandad Cecil
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 27 March 08 20:44 GMT (UK) »
My Smiths were from Norfolk, then Essex, then Surrey. I had wondered if there was a Romany connection through them, but maybe not. The Tudgeys seem to be the route to follow.

Jamie

What sort of jobs did they do? I have Smiths that married into the Morgan line so are indirectly related to the Tudgays but they are from Oxfordshire.
Romany/Traveller:
BLACKMAN, BUCKLAND, BURGESS, DIX, DOBSON, FOLEY, GRANT/PARKER, HUNT, JONES, MUNDAY/MONDAY, MORGAN, NOYELL, ORCHARD, PAGE, REED, VINCENT

Jewish:
BRAHAM, FROST, LYONS

French:
HONEYSETT, LEVETT PETTIT

English:
BELSHAW, BETTSWORTH, CANE, COVENTRY, DOBSON, FRY,  NURSE, POOK, PUTLAND, PUTT, SMITH, SNELGROVE, TEE, TUDGAY, VENUS/VENESS

Irish:
ANDERSON, KILLOUGH, MACCORMACK, MACROBERTS, MORTON, MOORE, WALLACE

Offline Jamie H

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 28 March 08 09:23 GMT (UK) »

The furthest back I've been able to go is with:–

Samuel Smith who married Sophia Wright 6 Nov. 1803 Diss, Norfolk. He was a chaffcutter. The Smiths moved to Maldon in Essex and the male descendants were carpenters. Not Romany occupations …

Do you think that a YOUNG family in Worcester who were blacksmiths, could be Romany – from the point of view of occupation? Because Elizabeth YOUNG married, firstly, Thomas WILKS, and then Edward TUDGEY (in Hallow in 1870). And I have thought that the dark colouring I've been investigating could have come from the YOUNG line, or the WILKS line – if it wasn't the TUDGEYs.

Jamie
TUDGEY; STEVENS (Surrey); SMITH (Surrey, Essex, Norfolk); WILKS (Worcs); YOUNG (Worcs); COWLEY (Ireland, Surrey); GROVE (Hampshire); REEVES (Gloucs. Worcs.); RETFORD (Hampshire, Surrey); FAIRBROTHER (Kent); WEBB (Surrey, Bucks); WILLIAMS (Pembrokeshire). Nicol (Scotland);DOLLOWAY (Kent); BOX (Worcs).

Offline honey-roma88

• RootsChat Senior
  • Grandad Cecil
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 29 March 08 18:22 GMT (UK) »

The furthest back I've been able to go is with:–

Samuel Smith who married Sophia Wright 6 Nov. 1803 Diss, Norfolk. He was a chaffcutter. The Smiths moved to Maldon in Essex and the male descendants were carpenters. Not Romany occupations …

Do you think that a YOUNG family in Worcester who were blacksmiths, could be Romany – from the point of view of occupation? Because Elizabeth YOUNG married, firstly, Thomas WILKS, and then Edward TUDGEY (in Hallow in 1870). And I have thought that the dark colouring I've been investigating could have come from the YOUNG line, or the WILKS line – if it wasn't the TUDGEYs.

Jamie

Hmm, being a blacksmith wasn't a typical Romany job anymore than being a carpenter but I'm certain I have seen both jobs being done by travelling people.

Some of my ancestors who I know (not just suspect) were travellers were masons which is hardly your typical Romany job but they both came separately from the same general area in Somerset/Wiltshire where stone working is very common so they probably picked up different skills depending on the type of work that was commonly needed in the areas they travelled in. (Sorry I don't think I explained that very well).

Often looking at neighbours' occupations can help although it is hardly conclusive evidence. With only one exception, on my line they are living amongst general dealers/hawkers/pedlars/tinplate workers/cutlers etc although it does of course depend on when they settled. I'm pretty sure that my Morgan family had settled by the end of the 19th century in London and possibly as early as the 1850s. In which case there is no guarantee they will still be living amongst travellers.

It's very hard to prove unless you have family stories or just masses of evidence but I have heard several times the suggestion about the Tudgay line so my assumption that they were English people who married in (as in my line it was a woman not a man which although not favoured was preferred to a man marrying in) has grounds to be doubted.
Coupled with the dark colouring there is reason to believe the suggestions have some basis and if they are it is probable that the families they married into (eg. the Marshalls, Youngs, Wilks etc) were of traveling blood too.
Romany/Traveller:
BLACKMAN, BUCKLAND, BURGESS, DIX, DOBSON, FOLEY, GRANT/PARKER, HUNT, JONES, MUNDAY/MONDAY, MORGAN, NOYELL, ORCHARD, PAGE, REED, VINCENT

Jewish:
BRAHAM, FROST, LYONS

French:
HONEYSETT, LEVETT PETTIT

English:
BELSHAW, BETTSWORTH, CANE, COVENTRY, DOBSON, FRY,  NURSE, POOK, PUTLAND, PUTT, SMITH, SNELGROVE, TEE, TUDGAY, VENUS/VENESS

Irish:

Offline Jamie H

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 30 March 08 09:53 BST (UK) »
Well, if you do happen to come across the link between my William Tudgey and your Tudgey folk, do let me know. I seem to have gone as far as I can with the Wilks, Tudgeys and Youngs – and have got stuck with all of them. But, one never knows  ;)

Jamie

Offline Jamie H

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 30 March 08 22:54 BST (UK) »
honey-roma88 — you said you had ancestors in Corsley. Have you seen this:

(Some Selected Reports from the Salisbury and Winchester Journal)
http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~dutillieul/ZOtherPapers/Index/TI.html

Apparently, a Thomas Tudgey lived at Corsley.

Thought you might be interested. I don't know if he fits in with my lot, or not. 

Also, at http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~dutillieul/ZOtherPapers/S&WJMar151813.html
 there is a account of a trial where a Tudgey is involved.

Jamie

Offline honey-roma88

• RootsChat Senior
  • Grandad Cecil
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 31 March 08 00:39 BST (UK) »
Thank you, that is great. :D

I think that is my great x 6 grandfather. At least he didn't actually kill those people.  :(
Romany/Traveller:

Jewish:
BRAHAM, FROST, LYONS

French:
HONEYSETT, LEVETT PETTIT

English:

Irish:

Offline DorsetHelen

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 11 December 16 23:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi there - is anyone still active on this thread as I researching the Tudgays & Marshalls in Kingston Deverill . Will post more if there is any response as it's 10 years since there was any activity on this

Offline Jamie H

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Monday 12 December 16 04:13 GMT (UK) »
Hi there - is anyone still active on this thread as I researching the Tudgays & Marshalls in Kingston Deverill . Will post more if there is any response as it's 10 years since there was any activity on this

Hi Helen,
I'm not really active, but I got an alert to your message. I've rather given up on finding a Romany connection although a cousin has had someone looking into our family history. This reseacher said the Tudgeys in my line were all dark haired and brown-eyed but that needn't mean much I guess. I thought the dark colouring in my line came from the Youngs or Wilks in Worcestershire. And I've wondered about an Indian connection - but again, I don't know <sigh>.