Author Topic: YOUNG or WILKS in Worcester or TUDGEY  (Read 11103 times)

Offline DorsetHelen

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: YOUNG or WILKS in Worcester or TUDGEY
« Reply #27 on: Monday 12 December 16 08:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jamie, Not sure if we have been in touch before or not .  It was my old Dorsetbays website you quoted though that's long gone as there was too much on there that was inaccurate.

I have spent years looking for a Romany link based on my grandmother's story that we had Romany ancestry possibly linked to coming over from Spain. There is a definite dark gene that seems to appear once in every family - very dark wavy hair, dark eyes, olive skin, very different to the rest of the family. My middle daughter often gets asked if she is Middle eastern or Indian. It's a very strong gene. Even in the most recent generations we have a 3 year old and a 5 year old in two different families on opposite sides of the world with the 'dark gene'

Over the years I have ruled out a Romany link in every line except for the Tudgay one and that's the one I keep coming back to. I have confess I put all research aside for about 8 years and am coming back to it with fresh eyes . In the past I had heard from other Tudgay researchers also looking at the Romany link but no one had any real proof, just circumstantial evidence .

I am descended from John & Priscilla Tudgay (not got the Longbridge Deverill link back to John's father so thank you for that). Have never found who Priscilla was - a very unusual name but popular with Romanies. The Marshall family could have been - struggling to trace that particular line back - but no evidence. It was a common Romany name but a common name in the general population too. My sticking point is that my William Tudgay married Mary Mifflin and she was certainly not Romany (she come from what had been a wealthy, middle class Quaker family back in the 1600s though by the time she married William I think they were pretty poor!)

So I don't know. The other lady's  link to her Priscilla Tudgay marrying into a known Romany family is the most tangible evidence I have seen. I have heard the idea of adult baptism using both the woman's maiden name and her married name is a Romany custom but I don't know if that's true!

All the best
Helen

Offline Jamie H

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Tuesday 27 November 18 05:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi Helen,

Have you come across any Indian (the country India, not American Indians) ancestry in the TUDGAYs?
I've got a strong possibility that my grandmother's generation had Indian blood. And, though I thought it came from the YOUNGS in Worcester, it could have been from the TUDGEYs.
TUDGEY; STEVENS (Surrey); SMITH (Surrey, Essex, Norfolk); WILKS (Worcs); YOUNG (Worcs); COWLEY (Ireland, Surrey); GROVE (Hampshire); REEVES (Gloucs. Worcs.); RETFORD (Hampshire, Surrey); FAIRBROTHER (Kent); WEBB (Surrey, Bucks); WILLIAMS (Pembrokeshire). Nicol (Scotland);DOLLOWAY (Kent); BOX (Worcs).

Offline DorsetHelen

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Tuesday 27 November 18 08:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jamie, no none, sorry. Both my daughter and I have also had DNA tests and we are both 100% English/Welsh/Scottish, maybe a bit of North West Europe but no trace of anything beyond that. On further and deeper research I can find no evidence whatsoever that my Tudgey’s had any Romany links either. I think my grandmother must have made the story up.  Good luck with your research, Helen