Author Topic: Please Help SA  (Read 1984 times)

Offline craizi daizi

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Please Help SA
« on: Thursday 10 August 06 00:59 BST (UK) »
 Hi all

I am trying to find ANY info on my FLISHER family in SA,  i cant find them going there...but know they were / there i have my Gr Granparents wedding cert from SA but they went back to Scotland,,,but her parents seemed to have stayed there in Cape Town and after my grand father died my grand mother and the kids went back there fro a while to stay with her family before heading to Australia.......

Am looking for  info on George and Margaret FLISHER born circa 1870/80ish there daughter Mary married in 1901 in the Presbyterian Church in Cape Town...(b4 going back to Scotland) i have George down as the father giving permission for Mary to marry as she was under age  She married Simon Fraser MUNRO... 

Does anyone know about these people ??????

Please am going crazy here....... :o

How can i find out what my Gr grandfather was doing there and how he got there, ??

Thank you

Craizi
Flisher : UK and Sth Africa and Australia<br />Munro  : Scotland,  Inverness, Ross and Cromarty and Australia<br />Prust   : Bristol, UK, and Australia<br />Woodburgess/Wood/Burgess/Wood-Burgess,  Adcock/Brudenall in Lincolnshire UK and Australia<br />Taylor :Yorkshire,  Nottinghamshire and Australia<br />Mathers  : Montrose , Scotland and Australia<br />Johnson  :  ?? and Australia
Dixon Australia and Cumberland

Offline craizi daizi

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Please Help SA
« Reply #1 on: Friday 04 April 08 12:42 BST (UK) »
Hello

Does any one know where  i can start with this,

Craizi
Flisher : UK and Sth Africa and Australia<br />Munro  : Scotland,  Inverness, Ross and Cromarty and Australia<br />Prust   : Bristol, UK, and Australia<br />Woodburgess/Wood/Burgess/Wood-Burgess,  Adcock/Brudenall in Lincolnshire UK and Australia<br />Taylor :Yorkshire,  Nottinghamshire and Australia<br />Mathers  : Montrose , Scotland and Australia<br />Johnson  :  ?? and Australia

Offline Glencourse

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 22 July 21 12:46 BST (UK) »
Simon fraser munro was a soldier in the Cameron highlanders when he married Mary Ann Magdeleana in cape town.
He was dismissed from the army after being court martialed for irregularities ( theft ) . He returned to Scotland where he was employed by the Edinburgh Tramways , as a pointsman .
He joined the Royal Scots territorial army 5th Queens Edinburgh Rifles and became a Sargent .
He must have kept his previous stint in the army quiet .

He was posted , with his battalion to gallipoli 24/04/1915 he became Regimental Sargent Major at some point .
He was killed on 30th September 1915 , as a result of an “ Ariel torpedo “ exploding near him .
His left side was blown in and he died instantly.

Glencourse

Offline craizi daizi

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 28 July 21 07:25 BST (UK) »
thank you so much for that info where did you find it please

daizi

Offline Glencourse

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 28 July 21 10:54 BST (UK) »
I am a medal collector , and have his medals and memorial plaque . I got the information from a few sources .
Commonwealth war graves site , ancestry and findmypast .

David

Offline craizi daizi

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 28 July 21 10:56 BST (UK) »
wow thank you so much, they were things about my gr grandfather that i never knew wow you have his actual medals

i very great full to you xx

Offline Glencourse

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 29 July 21 11:43 BST (UK) »
Sorry I got his date of death wrong , it’s 27 th September 1915 .

David

Offline craizi daizi

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 29 July 21 12:04 BST (UK) »
thank you again David,    so do you have Simon's actual medals ?

Offline Glencourse

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 29 July 21 14:23 BST (UK) »
Yes I do . 14/15 star British war Medal and Victory medal and memorial plaque.

I only bought them about two weeks ago , from a fellow collector who bought them on eBay about 18 years ago .
They were in England

David