Author Topic: Obituary Needed - Baskerville  (Read 1996 times)

Offline Janice M

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Obituary Needed - Baskerville
« on: Thursday 10 August 06 06:11 BST (UK) »
I hope someone can help.

I am looking for any information, including date of death for
Ethel Baskerville. She would have died sometime between 1975 - 1985.

Ethel was born in England in either 1884 or 1885. (I believe it was Cheshire, England) She immigrated to Canada in 1910.

I found her on the 1911 Census, living at 63 Lowther Avenue, in Toronto, and working for Judge Edward Morgan. 

In the early 1970's, she was living in Scarborough, around Kingston Road and Warden Avenue area. 

She never married, and as far as I know, she never had any children. I have no idea if she had any other family in Canada.

When I met her in the early 70's, she told me that we were related, as members of her Baskerville family were the only ones to move to Scotland, and settle in Glasgow. Being only 18 years old at the time, I thought she must be mistaken, but always remembered what she said. As it turns out, my Baskerville family were the only ones to do just that, and the fact that they originated in Cheshire makes me believe that she was correct in saying we were related. My problem is trying to find out where we are related. I have tried researching my side from Cheshire, but unfortunately, I have been unable to make the connection.

I am hoping to find out details of her death, so that I can start to trace back.

Any help or advice would be most appreciated.

Janice
Elder, Stewart, Johnston, Baskerville, Marks, Carson, Leitch, Bulloch, Thomson, Allen, Campbell, Gordon, Murray, Kelly, Chambers, Black, Cheyne, Youngson, Williamsdaughter, Anderson, Briggs, Pirie, Clark, Philp, Mannel, Lander, Rough, Lean, Bate, Brown, Oliver, Kitt, Shards, Bennet, Young, Petrie, Wylie, Herbertson, Martin, McAlister, Best, Ginn, Ross, McIntosh, McGillivray, Russell, Pettigrew, Fyfe, Barrie

Offline MJP

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Great-grandfather Private Arthur Henry Prior
    • View Profile
Re: Obituary Needed - Baskerville
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 10 August 06 17:03 BST (UK) »
Hi Janice,

I think her obituary appeared in the Toronto Star on Wednesday, March 21, 1979.  I did a search on http://thestar.pagesofthepast.ca/ on her name in that time frame and that is the only hit I got.  But I don't have a subscription to the site, so I could not view the actual record.  You can get a one hour subscription - very reasonable rates.

Hope that helps!

MJP
Information given in census transcriptions is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Eagle (Yorkshire), Prior (Berkshire), Buckland (Nottinghamshire),
Short (Devon), Sinclair (Caithness, Scotland), Patterson (Co. Tyrone, Ireland)

Offline Janice M

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 10 August 06 20:33 BST (UK) »
Thanks MJP. 

I will have a look to see what I can find out.

Janice
Elder, Stewart, Johnston, Baskerville, Marks, Carson, Leitch, Bulloch, Thomson, Allen, Campbell, Gordon, Murray, Kelly, Chambers, Black, Cheyne, Youngson, Williamsdaughter, Anderson, Briggs, Pirie, Clark, Philp, Mannel, Lander, Rough, Lean, Bate, Brown, Oliver, Kitt, Shards, Bennet, Young, Petrie, Wylie, Herbertson, Martin, McAlister, Best, Ginn, Ross, McIntosh, McGillivray, Russell, Pettigrew, Fyfe, Barrie

Offline Janice M

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 10 August 06 21:04 BST (UK) »
I checked "Pages of the Past", and unfortunately, it wasn't her. I then checked even further and went only by the name Baskerville, and again nothing.

I have a strange feeling that there might not be a notice anywhere, as she probably had no immediate family here.

Any other  suggestions that I can try? ???

Janice

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 13 August 06 16:26 BST (UK) »
This may be the same one....but in this cemetery listing there's a Mary M. which matches BMD for the years mentioned....but can't link in so maybe you can get more information from the site?
http://ogs.andornot.com/CemeteryIndex.htm
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com

Offline Janice M

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 13 August 06 17:50 BST (UK) »
Hi JJ

Thank you. I will write to them to see if it could be her. If not, I gather I have my work cut out for me in trying to search Toronto and area cemeteries. :P

Janice

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 14 August 06 00:15 BST (UK) »
Best of luck finding something! You and so many others are so helpful on this forrum... :D
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com

Offline Janice M

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 15 August 06 03:20 BST (UK) »
Hi J.J.

Thanks for the kind words and support. I have a long way to go, to be as helpful as you and MJP. :)

Janice